Chapter Fourteen

Angel Vessel


I tried Myungsoo another time on my way to Seoul library, but my effort was wasted. His phone stayed off. Part of me didn't understand how Myungsoo felt about me, but another part felt terrible. I wanted to comfort him. I wanted to explain and clear up this misunderstanding. I then found myself asking myself why I cared so much. I also knew that Myungsoo would know just the things to say to comfort me back. 
 
Parking in the small parking lot, I walked up the wide marble steps to the library. "Yo." Woohyun fell in step next to me. I didn't even notice him until he got close. He was wearing an expensive looking suit again, like he was going to go to Inspirit. I must've been more out of it then I thought. "Didn't I say to be gone?" I asked. "You said to be gone from your apartment. That I already did. I sensed that you needed me." He said with a easy smirk. "I don't need you." I stopped at the top step. He gently cupped my face in his hands. "What are you doing?" I asked trembling slightly. "You're sad." He said. "It doesn't concern you." I said trying to bat his hands away but he evaded me and pulled me to him. "Woohyun." I struggled against him.
 
"She was a good woman. I saw how you you cared about her." And I froze. "She'll be in the best place there is now. So don't take too long mourning her." He said softly to me. I raised my hands and pushed against his chest. "You don't know a thing." And turned to go into the library. I went straight to the front desk and showed my badge. "I'm here to speak with Cho Jiae." I said. "Jiae-ah." The elderly librarian called and a woman that looked my age peeked her head out of the rows of bookshelves. "You must be the detective." She said. I nodded, all business.
 
"Can you tell me what you know about Jung Eunha?" I asked a she led us across the library so we could sit down in a more private corner. I looked around and there were a lot of student looking people, but none close enough to overhear us.
 
"I'm detective Park Minji. I would like you to assist this case in any way possible." I said and Cho Jiae nodded earnestly.
 
"She was a cheerful girl despite having no family in Korea. She was quiet but friendly. I just started half a year ago, so we started to get close." She ran her fingers along the grooves of the oaken library table. "But, she got really weird a few weeks ago. She always answered the phone in a hushed whisper."
 
Cho Jiae, cocked her head to the right. "Oh that's right! She started dressing better. Instead of her usual monotone colors, she wore pretty dresses, like she was dressing up for someone."
 
"Have you every seen her so called boyfriend?" I asked. "No. She was very secretive about him." Jiae sighed. This was a lead, but at the same time it troubled me. Kim Hana's maid and now Cho Jiae were both saying that leading up to the death of these two women, they got secretive boyfriends. Noone had seen this so called boyfriend. If he existed, he would be the biggest suspect in our case. Quite possibly the Angel Reaper that Woohyun told me about.
 
"Do you have anything else you would like to add?" I asked. "He's dark haired." She said after a few seconds. "How do you know that?" I asked, my interest peaking. "Well, Eunha was looking at tie clips on a shopping website and asked me for an opinion. I peeked over her shoulder and she asked me which one I liked best. I had told her the garnet stoned one, but she said she like the obsidian one, because it matched his eyes and hair." 
 
"I'm surprised you remember such a detail." I said and realized I might have come off sounding abrasive. She pointed behind me. "I only remember because the guy behind you is wearing a pretty tie clip." She smiled. I turned around to see Woohyun leaning against the nearest bookshelf.
 
"You shouldn't lean against the bookshelf though. The wood is old. You wouldn't want to tip it over." Cho Jiae warned and Woohyun immediately straightened, like he did something bad. "Sorry." Woohyun murmured. "No harm done, cutie." She winked and I blinked at her in shock. Then she straightened. "He's not your boyfriend is he?" She asked.
 
"No, of course not!" I said, almost shouting. "Yah! Be quiet. This is a library." Someone said from a few tables down. Woohyun chuckled softly. "Sorry." Cho Jiae bowed her head. I coughed, to clear my throat. "We'll be in touch if we need more information Miss Cho." I bowed slightly. "Thank you for your assistance."
 
"No problem. Eunha was a friend. It's a terrible thing that happened to her." And she left. 
 
I walked outside with Woohyun. "Why did you follow me in there?" I asked. "Well, I thought you might want some company." He shrugged. "Just leave me alone Woohyun." 
 
"Wait." He said. "I'm not waiting." I brushed him off and took a step forward, but I missteped and my foot slipped off the edge of the top step. I winced and felt myself going headfirst down the steps but a warm hand grabbed my arm and grabbed his body around mine. "Oof!" Woohyun groaned softly as we landed at the bottom. "Are you okay?" I asked. "See I was going to tell you, you were going to miss a step." He said arms still wound tightly around me. "Sorry." I mumbled. "It's okay. As long as you are safe. But, maybe eat a few less chocolate doughnuts." He chuckled. Being pressed against him, I felt the slow and deep rumble of his chest as he laughed at me. His dark eyes were framed with long lashes. He was beautiful. Then our eyes met and we both went quiet.
 
I blinked snapping out of my daze."You jerk!" I bought my knee up to press into his gut and got up. "How dare you call me fat." He coughed grabbing his abdomen. "It was a joke!" He got up. "Here, let me look at your ankle." He kneeled on one knee and wrapped a hand around my right ankle. Warmth engulfed my ankle and the tingling pain was gone. Woohyun winced..
 
"Hey. Woohyun?" I suddenly felt the urge to ask. "Hmm?" He looked up. "Did you kneel like this in front of me yesterday?" I asked.