Chapter Ten

Angel Vessel


(Appearance and Addition to current characters: Kim Sunggyu)


"You okay?" Myungsoo asked when we finally walked back to his car. We had told the Kims that we would keep them updated on the case after obtaining the information from Marie. "Yeah." I said as I sat in the passenger seat and buckled my seat belt. 

Myungsoo was quiet for a minute before he started the car. "Hey, I want to go for a ride. Just a short drive around." He said and I looked up from the dashboard. "Huh?"
 
"Will you keep me company?" He asked. "Yeah…sure." I nodded and then he pulled out of the estate parking area and drove. I took one last look at the estate. I wouldn't let another family's precious daughter end up like Kim Hana.
 
I stared out the window as the road and trees flashed by. I didn't know where Myungsoo was going, but I felt better than earlier. And the silence between us was a comforting one. 
 
"We're here." He suddenly said and I blinked at him. "Come on." and I followed him to the free park in Hongdae. I smiled when I heard the street music fill the air. I loved coming to listen to music here because it was so simple. It was just people who loved music, making music for the happiness of themselves and the people who were willing to listen. 
 
"There's that smile." I heard him say softly and realized that he had brought me here on purpose. "I'm okay. Really. But, thank you." I said smiling at him. 
 
He looked at me with his dark eyes for a few seconds and pulled me into a hug. And I hugged him back. "You seem really troubled on this case. But, I don't want you to forget that I am here for you. We'll crack this case together." He whispered to me. And his soft voice and words were so comforting, I felt myself hug him tighter. He patted the top of my head gently and his hand my hair gently.
I felt his arms tighten protectively and quickly pushed away. I stared at him wide eyed and then looked away.
 
"We should get back to the station." I said and headed towards the car. "Okay." Myungsoo said without missing a beat. His expression was neutral, but I knew him well enough to know that was this face just hid his current feelings. 
 
I kicked a small rock as we walked back to the car. I hated when the atmosphere between us became awkward. I just wanted to be able to talk to him like I used to.
 
"Are you hungry?" I asked him. "Not really." He answered curtly. 
"Do you want to get some coffee?" I asked cautiously. "Not really." He answered again.
 
I sighed. "What's bothering you?" I asked. He gave a small scoff like I just asked a ridiculous question. "You have to ask? Then it wouldn't be worth it to tell you." He replied his tone slightly hurt. "I-."
 
"Waiting , Minji. When you know that the other person has feelings, but it's pushed aside like some garbage." He suddenly said. 
"No one asked you to wait." I said feeling slightly angry. If this was his shot at a confession to me, it was ill timed and poorly executed.
 
Myungsoo sighed running a hand through his black hair. "Look, Minji." But I cut off what he was about to say. "I just thought of something I need to buy. I'll see you back at the station." and walked away before he could reply. I let out a breath of relief when I knew for sure he wasn't going to come after me. 
 
Walking along the Hongdae streets reminded me of the police academy days. Whenever we had break from training, a group of us would come here to eat and hangout. Myungsoo and I had become close because of it. I had always thought he was just a goody two shoes who cared about nothing but being the top of the class. But I discovered that he was caring, meticulous and a great friend. I had hoped that it was because we were seeing each other a lot as partners that his feelings for me sprouted. That they would be gone soon and I didn't have to have my guard up.
 
But, I had always felt the sincerity he treated me with. I just hadn't realized it.
 
"We meet again." A voice suddenly said I looked up from the sidewalk to see the man I bumped into this morning. "Oh." I blinked. He smiled. "What brings you here detective?" He asked. "I was going to head back to the station." I said.
 
"I'm also headed back. Would you like me to give you a ride?" He asked. "Yes, and thank you." I bowed my head slightly. "Ah, I'm Park Minji." I held out a hand.
 
"Kim Sunggyu. I transferred to the station as the new prosecutor. It's nice to meet you." His smiled was friendly and gentle as he shook my hand. I wondered if he had what it took to be a stern prosecutor. The criminals we caught were never going to be the nicest people. His eyes although behind a pair of frames, showed a lot of compassion.
 
He led me to a red Audi A3. It was the exact same model as mine. "Red is a nice color." I commented. He chuckled. "Yeah. It's my favorite color." He said as he started the car.
 
"Where are you from?" I asked.
"I was abroad until two years ago. My parents moved to Los Angeles when I was about ten, and I've been there ever since." Sunggyu explained.
"I wanted to practice law here in South Korea, so I came back to my roots."
I nodded attentively.
 
Then he titled his head towards me curiously while his eyes were still on the road. "You seemed troubled back there in Hongdae. Is something wrong?" He asked.
 
"Some cases are just preoccupying my mind." I answered.
"Well, I'm nothing if not a good listener. If you want to talk. I'd be more than happy to listen." 
 
"I will keep that in mind, thank you." I bowed my head slightly.
 
After he drove back to the station we walked in together. I had spotted Myungsoo's car in the lot so I knew he had made it back. As we opened the class door, we heard shouting and wailing.
 
"I'm telling you. I didn't trespass!" An elderly woman was yelling at a uniform with an upset voice. "How can I get indicted?" She shook a piece of paper in the air. The uniform tried to calm her. "Ma'am, you just need to answer the summons. Everything will be figured out from there." She explained.
 
"No. I'm not going to answer to no summons. I'm a busy woman!" She shouted.
I left Sunggyu's side and walked over to the scene. "Ma'am. I know you don't want to answer to the summons, but it's the law." I said. "Who the heck are you?!" She said angrily and turned around to face me. My eyes widened. "Grandma Choi."
 
Her eyes squinted for a second. "Little Minji?" She asked in a soft voice. "Well, I'm not so little anymore." I said with a smile. She came closer to me and I bent down slightly as she cupped my face in her soft wrinkled hands. "You've grown into such a beautiful young woman." She said, tears forming in her eyes. I felt pressure behind my eyes as well.
 
"I'll help you with this letter you got." I said with a gently smile, but she was no longer looking at me. She was looking behind me. Her eyes were wide and almost frantic. Her warm hands dropped from my face. "Killer. You're the killer." She pointed. I spun around and blinked in confusion. Only Sunggyu was standing there.