Chapter Twenty

Angel Vessel


 


Once I got into the car, I chekced the address on the file and drove towards the factory warehouses. There was already police tape and officers manning the line when I got there. We were in the factory area of the city. Most of the buildings were old and paint was peeling. It sent a shiver through my spine to think I had almost died in a place similar to this. I saw Myungsoo's car and felt my jaw clench. I took a deep breath after flashing my badge and walked inside the warehouse. "The DB is in the freezer storage." One of the forensics taking prints off the door told me. I nodded a thanks and kept walking towards the back of the warehouse. The Reaper was chatting with a man. He looked frightened and was explaining in a rushed manner. The Reaper met my eyes as I walked past and I saw him flash me a smirk. I glared at him and kept walking. 
 
Finally, making it to the doorway of the industrial sized freezer, I stood there with a chill going down my spine that had nothing to do with the cold air. The woman was leaning against a metal shelf of dried products, looking like someone would if they were frozen to death. Her skin was blue, her eyes wide and desperate. But what had caused my hesitation was the mini speaker on the other side of her and the way her hands were bound.
 
I was being mocked. This looked exactly like how I was trapped. But this woman...didn't have a Guardian Angel to save her. "This would have been you if Woohyun was any later." Someone said in my ear and I jumped. "It's okay Minji!" The Reaper said loudly and pulled me to his chest. I tried to push away from him, but his hold was almost crushing and he forced my head into the crook of his neck. "It's okay!" He said out loud but leaning close to my ear, he said something else. "I love it when they struggle against something that's already been determined." He brushed his lips against my ear and with as much strength as I could muster, I pushed away from him with both hands and slapped him across the face. His face swung to the side but he smiled. 
 
I was biting back tears. "Are you okay detectives?" Someone asked. "Fine." I answered and went to see the body. I bent down next to Dr. Cho. Before I even asked he spoke. "My preliminary examination with her says she died of the extreme cold. Her body shut down. But I will give you a more detailed report, once I get a look at her in the lab."
 
"Thank you doctor." I said politely and trying not to look too carefully at the body again, I headed back to the station. Getting out of my car, I received a searing pain in my head. It was enough to temporarily black out my vision and make my legs give out. I hit the ground hard, but that pain was nothing compared to the one in my head. Suddenly bright lights and images started to flash inside my head.
 
I felt my mouth open in a silent scream, but finally the image settled.
 
"Hey Woohyun." A bell like voice said. "What is it, my love?" I saw Woohyun's smiling face as the line of sight shifted. "How much do you love me?" The voice asked. Woohyun's face contorted in surprise. "How could you ask that question?" He asked grabbing the hand of the woman who was speaking, but it almost felt like he was grabbing me. "What is your answer?" She asked. "I love you until the stars burn out. And I'll love you even after that." He said and leaned for a kiss.
 
Then the scene shifted like ripples across the surface of water.
 
The woman was looking up at another man. I felt choked, like I was being pressed against a wall. I couldn't make out his face.
 
"S-stop it. You know what Woohyun would do if he found out you said those things to me. I love you like a brother. He loves you like a brother."
 
"Brother?" The man spat out acidly. "We knew each other first. You were mine. What brother takes away the person I love more than anything in this world and beyond it." The women trembled. "I didn't know you felt this way about me. But I belong to Woohyun. You have to stop being so angry, its tainting your heart." She shook her head so hard, I saw her long silky raven black hair in my peripheral vision. 
 
"No, he's going to get you hurt. I already know it."
"That would be okay." The woman said voice strained. 
"No. I would not be." The man said angrily.
"I will love Woohyun until the stars burn out and even after that I will continue to love him."
And the images faded. 
 
I snapped back into reality. I grabbed the handle of my car door trying to lift myself up but I couldn't. I felt hot tears running down my face. What…was that?
I grabbed the spot over my heart feeling almost like my own heart was in pain.
 
"Minji? What are you doing on the ground?" I looked up to see Sunggyu. "I-I can't get up." I said and he came over to grab my arms to help me up. Instead of just letting me lean against the car, he pulled me to him. "Are you okay?" He asked. 
I just put my head against his chest and closed my eyes without replying. 
 
Those images were too vivid to just be hallucinations. The emotions in them were so raw and pure. I broke away after a minute. "I'm sorry, Sunggyu. This isn't fair." I said and he lifted my chin. "Thats okay." He smiled. "How can you always have a smile on your face?" I asked. "Because I want you to be happy when you see me." He touched my cheek brushing hair out of my face. "It hurts me when you cry." 
 
"I'm sorry." I said softly. "Don't apologize." He leaned in and kissed me softly. "S-Sungyu." I said shakily. This was wrong. 
 
Then I heard a chuckle. It was the Reaper. "I don't know what to call you. A ? You have three men pining after you. But you don't even know what you want. It's laughable. Do they really all just want to get in those pants of yours?" 
 
I flushed pink. "What the hell are you saying?" 
"I don't think you should say anything like that to a proper and honest woman." Sunggyu said his tone cold and hard. I've never heard that tone from him before. 
"She must really have some magic power." And he turned to walk away. Sunggyu and I both moved but I got to him first. "Don't make me hurt Myungsoo to hurt you." I said in a deadly whisper as I grabbed the front of his sweater.
 
"It doesn't bother me." He said, smirking. "I'm sorry Myungsoo." I said before I punched him in the face. I followed up with a kick to his stomach and the Reaper fell to the ground. He lifted himself up slightly and the blood that gathered at the corner of his lip. "That's some right hook." He said. I felt a chill go through me. I couldn't look at Myungsoo's face.
 
"Finished?" He asked. "No." Sunggyu said moving towards him but I grabbed his arm. "No. Don't hurt him. Please." I said. Sunggyu turned to me. "But he disrespected you." I shook my head. "Just leave him. Let's go." I grabbed his arm and pulled him towards the police station.