Chapter Four

Angel Vessel


 


I pushed him away immediately and went for my gun, but realization hit me. I had told Myungsoo to hold onto my gun because I couldn't bring a firearm inside a club. So now my gun was in his car. Adrenaline pounded in my ears and I dove for my coffee table to grab the extra gun I kept there, but he was faster than me. He grabbed both my wrists and pinned them behind me.  

"I'm not going to hurt you, I just need to talk to you." he grunted as I tried to shake him off. My mind was reeling. There was just no way I could be in my apartment right now. He must've slipped a drug into my drink. I had to be hallucinating. This couldn't be possible.

"Get off me!" I growled and kicked out behind me. I landed a hit to his lower calf and pushed away from him. I tried to punch him, but he dodged and took a side step towards me. "I really hate to do this. But, you won't really listen to me like this." he grumbled and in the next second his fist came up. The next thing I saw was darkness. 

I groaned when I finally came to. The side of my head hurt like hell, but I forced my eyes to open. Nam Woohyun, if that was even his real name, was sitting across from me on the couch. I tried to move, but he had tied me to one of my dining room chairs.

I looked around. I really was in my apartment. My mismatched furniture and ocean blue wallpaper stared back at me.

"You're finally awake." he sighed, running a hand through his already messy hair. I turned my attention back to him. I tried to speak, but he had gagged me. How was I even supposed to get out of this?

"I swear I don't mean you any harm. I needed to be able to speak with you, and this was the best chance to get you alone," he said. 

I struggled against my binds, but the bastard was nothing if not a good knot tier. "I hope you don't mind that I destroyed this." He said opening his fist to show me the remains of my recording chip. "Mhmmm." I protested against the gag. 

"I know it is going to be hard to take in at Park Minji, but I didn't lie about my name. It is Nam Woohyun and I am your guardian angel."

This guy had screws loose in his head was my first immediate thought. I stared at him. Guardian angel? Didn't guys use that term to be cheesy to their girlfriends? Part of me was waiting for the punchline.

Apparently, he took my silence as the okay to continue. I still half expected him to start laughing and yell that I just got punk'd, but he spoke in a completely serious voice. "It is a long story and I won't have much time. I believe that your partner will realize your disappearance from the club and be tracking your phone." he gestured to my phone on the glass coffee table.

He gave a long sigh. "When I said I am your guardian angel, I meant it. My job is to protect you. I have been assigned to you after the unfortunate incident with your biological parents. And before you ask, no, not everyone gets a guardian angel. It is a difficult job that only a few angels have the power to do. Our numbers are vast, but the human population far outnumbers ours. Most guardians get assigned to Angel Vessels.

I had no idea what he was talking about. But, at the same time I didn't feel as panicked as I thought I would have been. I wanted to call this all a crazy lie.

"Ungag me." I said into the gag, but it came out as a gurgle of sounds. Oddly enough he came over. "I will take out the gag on the condition that you do not scream. You could never sit still when you were younger anyway." I nodded my consent, trying not to think about his latter comment.

"If you scream, I will just have to get you alone like this again." He warned a second time and I just rolled my eyes. Then, he finally removed the gag.

"If you really watched over me since I was ten, why did so many bad things still happen to me. You were supposed to protect me." I managed to get out without sounding completely hostile. He gave me a sad look. "There are many things we cannot interfere with."

"Then tell me something only I would know." I finally said. He ran a hand through his hair with a sigh. "You have nightmares still. About your burning house, your parents and how lonely you were when you were left all alone. They were really frequent when you were younger, but not as often now. 

I stared at him. Of all the things he could have chosen, he picked one of the darkest secrets I kept. "Y-you." was all that came out of my mouth.

"I'm sorry to bring that up. I need you to believe me, and I'm out of time." Woohyun walked to the window to look downstairs. "Because of your stubbornness, I couldn't even begin to touch on what I still need to tell you. I'll be back." he said and untied me. 

"I know you will get me back for that punch one day," he cupped my cheek with his warm hand. It was so comforting I almost closed my eyes. Suddenly the throbbing pain was gone and Woohyun winced. "Damn, I probably shouldn't have punched you so hard."

"Doesn't saying 'damn' mean you are going to hell?" I asked as he pulled away. He chuckled. "Don't watch so much television." and then he left, the door clicking quietly behind him.

A knock followed thirty seconds later. "Minji?!" Myungsoo called, his voice sounding slightly panicked. I grabbed the ropes and tossed them into my room and returned the chair to the table before opening the door.

"Hi there." I smiled sheepishly. Myungsoo pulled me into a tight hug. "Don't 'hi' me. You disappeared from the club and I had to trace your phone to find out you went home."

I patted his back gently. "I was feeling sick so I came back . I was in such a rush, I forgot to call you." He took a step back and his expression softened. "Are you okay now?" he asked.

"Yeah." I nodded.
Then his eyes became serious. "We were on an operation. Do you know how dangerous it is for your partner to not know where you are?!" he asked angrily and I winced. Myungsoo was always better than me when it came to holding in anger. Him yelling at me now, proved that I had really upset him.

"I know. I goofed." I hung my head to show that I was apologetic. "Especially since you were using yourself as bait." he added. Then, he let out a defeated sigh. "See you tomorrow." And left without another word. 

"I'm sorry." I tried to say again, but he opted to take the stairs instead of waiting for the elevator.

Going back inside I sat down on my couch. I felt guilty for worrying Myungsoo, but I had bigger things to combat. I lit a cigarette and took a long drag. I didn't know who Woohyun was yet, but I had a feeling I would find out soon.