Chapter Twenty-Four

Angel Vessel


 


"Yes." The Reaper replied in place of Sunggyu. "But you want my life. If I die doesn't that mean you are working towards nothing?" I asked. And he laughed. "Compassionate and considerate, aren't you?" His eyebrow rose. I flushed with a glare at him. 
 
"Or are you afraid to die? Even if that means making your Guardian Angel happy?" He asked and I stayed quiet. I felt myself tremble and closed my eyes to calm myself. There had to be something I could do. I felt my fingernails dig into my palms, creating half crescent grooves. Suddenly the image of Woohyun summoning Gabriel into my body flashed behind my eyelids.
 
My limbs reacted the minute I recalled the memory and I traced something on my forehead and my voice spoke a language I did not know. I physically felt like I was shut into a dark prison again. It was terrifying and I wanted to scream, but I already knew noone would hear me.
 
"How dare you summon an Archangel?" Gabriel's beautiful voice sounded angry inside my mental prison. But not waiting for my reply, energy orbs appeared in my hands and I saw her hurl them at Sunggyu and the Reaper. Sunggyu jumped out of the way, but I saw the smile on the Reaper's face as he stood still for the blast. It knocked him back so hard Myungsoo's body did the impression of the rag doll as it slammed into the opposite wall. The Reaper emerged from Myungsoo's still body brushing the debris off himself.
 
My voice snarled in a Angelic language again and the Reaper spat some words right back. I moved faster than I ever thought was possible and I had grabbed the Reaper around his neck. "Gabriel, you've always had a fiery temper for an Archangel." He said unfazed by the grip that could crush his trachea. My hand started to glow gold. "I will kill you."
 
The Reaper raised his hand but not at me, at Myungsoo's fallen form. No. I hadn't thought about the consequences of calling Gabriel, I just knew I wanted to get out of there. "Take Myungsoo and let's teleport away." I said banging go the walls of my dark prison.
 
"I don't take orders from you, vessel." She said. "If you allow him to hurt Myungsoo I swear I will do whatever dark thing they want me to to stain my soul. Explain that to God." I was taking a gamble. I didn't even know if I would get in trouble or not, but it seemed to work because I saw Gabriel loosen my fingers a bit and the light disappeared. Then my vision blurred and I was in front of Woohyun. He was running and he ran straight into me. 
 
Crashing together, he fell on top of me and his eyes widened, hands on either side of my head. "You're okay. You're okay." He said eyes b with tears. "Silence your tears." Gabriel ordered and Woohyun's face changed. He immediately got off of me. Gabriel grabbed his arm and we were suddenly back in my apartment. 
 
She dropped his arm and crossed them over his chest. Woohyun immediately went onto one knee. "I'm sorry Lady Gabriel. I have failed to protect Minji." He said head bowed.
 
"You have. She even managed to summon me on her own." Her voice was dark. "You don't get to be angry at him. You've withheld information from him on what happened to the love of his life." I shouted at her from within and I felt her stiffen.
 
"You didn't even save Myungsoo!" I shouted starting to bang on the prison walls. "You insolent child. Do you have any idea what kind of forces you are messing with?" She asked calmly.
 
"No. But Angels aren't all they are cracked up to be. Holy beings capable of great kindness are how you guys are described, but I can think of another word. Cruel." I said angrily.
 
"You know nothing. Nothing of the way we live, the rules we need to adhere to. Never will there be black and white. Sacrifice will always be needed, but you will never understand that little girl." 
 
"No I don't! I don't understand why this is happening to me! Get out. Get out of my body!" I said trying to mentally shove the archangel out of my head. On many accounts it would have been ridiculous to even try, but a pair of warm hands settled themselves on my shoulders. "Try again." The voice, I now knew was Eunji's urged and I tried giving another mental shove. This time, the dark walls broke and I heard a surprised gasp from Gabriel before I was looking at Woohyun as myself again.