Chapter Twenty-Three

Angel Vessel


 


When I finally got into my car, I drove out of the apartment parking lot. It was when I was finally on the road, I felt the tears surge forward and temporarily blur my vision. "You're so stupid Park Minji." I said to myself, tightening my grip on the steering wheel. An apology had lodged itself in my throat. I wanted to apologize. But for what? My life? Because the purpose my body served was due to an angel soul. I hadn't asked for any of this but it had been served to me on a silver platter anyway.
 
I went to Myungsoo's apartment building. Pulling on my hair and sweater to hide my neck injury, I went into his home. Fortunately, it was empty. Taking off my sweater and pulling back my hair, I grabbed the first aid kit and treated the scratches on my neck. I secured a bandage over them and went to the kitchen to make myself a cup of coffee.
 
While the water was boiling I stared at the dark sky through the window in Myungsoo's kitche. It was only when I felt someone standing in the kitchen doorway and looked up. It was Myungsoo. But I already knew it was the Reaper and not my best friend. "I'm not in the mood for you." I said turning back to my coffee making.
 
"Minji. I'm Myungsoo. You sleep with a bear you named Mr. Snuffles." And my head jerked up to stare at him. My eyes watered but I didn't even miss a beat and jumped into his arms. "Myungsoo." I held onto him tightly. He buried his face in my neck. I felt his tears against my skin and pulled back. He was crying too. I wiped away his tears. "You're back. You're safe. That's all thats important." I said softly to him.
 
He looked at me with his dark eyes. I knew that he wasn't possessed then. Because it had been the same way he looked at me before he was taken by the stupid Reaper. He backed me up against the wall and kissed me. I squeezed my eyes shut. I grabbed his biceps, his body anchoring my sanity. He was real. Myungsoo was himself again.
 
"My, she is one selfish . Are you sure she has a soul of an Angel in her?" A deep male voice asked. "Watch what you say." I heard Sunggyu's voice reply in warning and Myungsoo and I broke apart. I stepped in front of Myungsoo. "I'm not going to let you take him way again." I said darkly. I knew that this wouldn't be last I saw them, but I had ridiculously hoped. 
 
Sunggyu strode over to me and grabbed my wrist. "Let go!" I struggled, but I felt the numbing and cooling sensation of healing and he ripped off my bandaid. Myungsoo pushed Sunggyu away, grabbing me back. I saw the faint lines of scratches appear on Sunggyu's neck briefly before disappearing. So he could heal people too. "Get out of my home." Myungsoo said trying to protect me. His hand squeezed mine tightly. I knew he had no idea what was going on. He had just been dragged into this by me. I stared at the back of his head. I owed this man, my best friend so much. I felt as though I would spend my life trying to repay what I owed him and that still wouldn't be enough. Noone should have to subject to what he was. 
 
"Will you leave Myungsoo alone, if I go with you?" I asked and saw Sunggyu smirk. He looked over at the Reaper and he was wearing a smile too. "That isn't up for me to decide, Minji. I couldn't stop the Reaper if I tried." He shrugged. "But I do need to speak with you. Maybe it would be best if your best friend wasn't…conscious." Then the Reaper moved from across the room and appeared in front of us.
 
"No! Leave him alone!" I struggled to put myself in front of Myungsoo, but he kept me from moving in front of him. Myungsoo threw a punch at the Reaper, but he just grabbed his fist. "Good night." He clicked his tongue like he was chatising a child. My eyes widened when Myungsoo's body convulsed and the Reaper disappeared into Myungsoo's body to possess him again.
 
He shoved me against the wall and smiled down at me. My back throbbed with pain, but I looked up at him defiantly. "You're mocking me, aren't you? You won't give Myungsoo back, you'll just wave him in my face." I said gratingly as he ran his fingers along my collarbone. 
 
"I'm enjoying the hunt more than I have in a hundred years. I will have my fun." His eyes twinkled. His eyes went to Sunggyu who had his hands crossed over his chest. "Stop harassing her for a moment." He grabbed my arm and pushed me towards the couch. My anger flared. I hated being man-handled. I gripped the pillow on the couch tightly against my chest as if that could put some sort of defense between Sunggyu and I.
 
"Woohyun can't come here for a long time. So we have a lot of time. Don't make it harder for yourself, or we'll make it hard for your precious partner." Sunggyu pointed to the Reaper who had come out of the kitchen with a knife. He played with it, testing its weight. "You had him teleport on purpose." My eyes widened. Sunggyu just replied to my accusation with a small smirk. Then I looked back at the Reaper.
 
"Don't you dare hurt him. Or I'll..." I said through gritted teeth. 
"You'll what Minji?" Sunggyu asked coming to lean over me. 
"You are as powerless as you've ever been. The Angels are not going to save you."
 
"I don't need any saving." I spat back.
He laughed."They don't, but you want to save Woohyun don't you?" He asked. "So he can be reunited with Eunji." And I stared at him. "How?" The word escaped my lips before I could stop them. "You said she's an empty shell…" I said quietly. 
 
"You. You have the other half of her soul. If you sacrifice yourself with a very special ritual, Eunji would come back." Sunggyu said and it look me a minute to process his words. "Am I going to die?" I asked quietly.