Chapter Twenty-Five

Angel Vessel


 


If the first time hadn't pissed Gabriel off, I knew this time she was angry. She might even refuse to help us in the future. But, I could not longer handle her twisted ideals. Angels were supposed to think everyone deserved salvation. Was it worth sacrificing one life for some greater good? I didn't have an answer, but she was talking about Myungsoo. It  also probably wasn't every day that someone who was just meant to be a vessel exercised her own control and pushed an all powerful angel out of control.
 
My breathing was ragged even though my battle had been a mental one. "Gabriel?" Woohyun asked. "No. It's me." I answered. His eyes widened. "Minji, how did you?"
 
I didn't reply. And my phone going off saved me from doing so. I answered once I got my breathing under control. "Hello?" I asked. "Detective Park? This is Dr.Choi. I just finished up the report for the woman we found in the industrial sized freezer." I felt ashamed that I had almost forgotten about all the cases that were waiting for me to crack. "Yes? Did you find anything?" I asked quietly.
 
"We found a note in the back pocket of her jeans. No fingerprints, but it said 'Are you cold detective Park?'" My eyes widened. "Do you know what it means?"
 
"No…I don't. Dr. Choi, I'll come to the office soon. I'll follow up on this." I said. 
"Okay. See you soon Detective Park." He said his goodbye and I shut off my phone.
 
Woohyun grabbed my shoulders. "What's wrong? You are as white as a sheet."
I shrugged him off. "I'm fine." I said looking away from him. "You still have to answer me. How did you push Gabriel out of control? It's been…twice now."
 
I took a deep breath. I guess he did have a right to know. Maybe it would be better if he did. "I had Eunji's help." I looked him straight in the eye. "Sunggyu may have said a load of crap, but part of her is still intact. She's helped me, talked to me. I'm not just a vessel." I said and it was like he was frozen in time. 
 
"Eunji? She's….can she hear me?" He asked and I felt sick. "Maybe. I don't know." I said squaring my jaw. His hand slowly crept up and cupped my cheek. "Eunji. My promise. I didn't forget." He said voice uneven, like he was choking on emotion. I felt like a third wheel suddenly. Like I was the only thing standing between two people and their happy ending.
 
I took his hand hand off my cheek and cupped it between my hands. They were soft and warm. I could see pale scars, but that just made him more beautiful. "She's going to be okay." I said and a confused look came across his face. Then something that almost looked like fear.
 
"What are you saying?" He asked slowly. I let go of his hand and dialed Myungsoo's phone number. "Ah, Minji." The Reaper drawled. "You can have me. Me in exchange for Myungsoo. Sunggyu gets nothing." He chuckled on the other side. "You want me to betray him?" He asked, amused. "You were going to do it anyway right? There is no way that he could have what he wanted and you could have what you want. He's just too blinded to see. But, I'm not. Sunggyu will get his just desserts."
 
"You really are something special. Maybe I'll keep your soul around instead of just killing you. I find that I enjoy your company." And I felt a shiver go through me. It took all of my willpower to keep my voice from trembling. "Tell me where you want to meet." I said. "I'll give you the address soon." And he hung up.
 
Woohyun stared at me like I lost all my marbles. "D-Did you just do what I think you did?" He asked. "It depends. What do you think I did?" I shrugged. "Well if you think I'm just going to let you do whatever reckless crazy thing you are thinking and endanger…" He said.
 
"Eunji? No. I would never endanger her." I cut him off calmly. "Yourself. I was going to say you." He said with a worried look on his face and I gave him a smile before I slammed my fist into the side of his face. I didn't hesitate and followed up with a kick to his gut. I figured the only way I could get a one up on an Angel was to surprise him. He grunted as he caught my foot. "What are you doing?!" He growled. "Making sure you stay out of my way!" I said and kicked up with the foot he caught. It wasn't as strong of a kick as I would have liked but it hit him square in the chest and knocked the wind out of him.
 
"Do you really think you can beat me in a fight?" He asked breathless. I laughed without humor. "No. But you wouldn't hurt me." I said and his eyes widened in surprise. Then they became serious when he grabbed my torso and flipped us so he was pinning me. "I don't have to hit you when pinning you down is easy." He said.
 
"Easy?" I asked breathless. Being in close proximity, I saw the tattoo on his neck. It reminded me painfully that he was an angel. It reminded me that we were so very different. Good Angels like Woohyun were programmed to be selfless while a human like me could only be selfish I took a deep breath and grabbed his face and kissed him. His whole body tensed for a second before I felt him relax. Then exactly like last time, he pulled away too soon. "Minji…what are you.." His eyes showed confusion and something else.. WIthout missing a beat I punched him in the side of the head. My fist throbbed, but I knew that he wouldn't stay down long, so I head butted him. Pain flared through my skull from the recoil, but I could roll out from underneath him now. He groaned in pain grabbing his head. "Damn it Minji."  I grabbed the spare gun I kept underneath and trained it on him. "You wouldn't…" He said eyes wide. He grabbed my wrist gently, but I just my teeth in frustration before dropping the gun into my other hand and hitting him in the side of the head with the . 
 
"If you just would've stayed down." I said at his unconscious form.