Chapter Twenty-One

Angel Vessel


 


After we got inside I let go of Sunggyu. "I'm sorry." I said head bowed. "It's okay. But, he was insulting you." I shook my head. "It's okay. I'm okay." I wondered if I told myself that enough times, that it would actually be true. "I'll come by to see you later?" He said pulling me into a hug. "Yeah..sure." And he left.
 
"Minji!" Woohyun called my name when I got into the office. "What are you doing here?!" I asked. "I felt that you were distressed but I couldn't appear out of thin air in front of the police force. Did that Reaper hurt you?" He asked. "It's none of your business." I looked away from him. 
 
"What? Of course it's my business." He grabbed my arms. His expression suddenly grew dark. "A guardian angel touched you again. His aura is all over you." Woohyun said as his hands travelled. I blushed furiously. "Stop touching me you ert!" I pushed his hands away. 
 
He sighed. "I'm not being a ert. I'm worrying about you. Why have you been so jumpy lately?" And he grabbed my cheeks. "Minji. Listen to me."
Then I heard the door open and the same mocking laugh I heard in the parking lot. "Has it been even ten minutes? Another one Minji? I thought an Angel Vessel would be a little more virtuous and chaste." 
 
I shoved Woohyun away as hard as I could. "Are you goading me?" I swung and faced the Reaper. "Maybe." He shrugged. "I'm not afraid of you. Obviously you could have killed me without revealing yourself. But you didn't. You're goading me, mocking me and it has to be for a reason."
 
"Reason? What are you talking about Minji?" Woohyun grabbed my arm. I ignored him and shook him off. "You're smarter than you look." He raised a brow. He walked towards me but Woohyun put his hand on the Reaper's chest. "Don't you ever come near her." He growled with a deadly threat. "Get your hand off me you dirty Angel." And he pushed Woohyun's hand away.
 
Woohyun put himself between us. The Reaper backed off. "All in due time." He made eye contact with me. 
 
Even though I felt myself shaking, I stood my ground. Woohyun grabbed my wrist and pulled me out of the office. "Ow, Woohyun. Stop." I said pulling my wrist away from him when we got outside. "Why are you putting yourself in danger?!" He asked.
 
"Open your eyes Woohyun. I'm always in danger!" I pushed his chest lightly. "I almost ended up like that woman in the freezer. I almost ended up like that woman in the freezer." My legs gave out and he caught me. Hot tears were escaping and I couldn't control my emotions. Woohyun looked around and pulled me to him and then suddenly we weren't outside anymore, we were in my apartment. 
 
I started to cry harder, my body wracked with sobs. Woohyun sighed softly and pulled me tighter to him. "I'm sorry I didn't notice. I didn't notice what was still haunting you." He my hair. His warm engulfed me and I felt safe, safer than I had been. But then I remembered his words and the woman's identical words in those memories and I pushed him away.
 
He looked at me shocked. "What's wrong?"
"Nothing." I said softly, wiping my tears away. 
"You've gotten reserved around me." He said quietly. 
"You're imagining it." I answered quickly.
"Am I?" He asked leaning in to look into my eyes. 
He was so close I saw his beautiful silver tattoo. The same tattoo that marked him as an Angel. I tried to look at the tattoo instead of his eyes. 
 
I stayed quiet and he sighed softly. "Maybe I haven't been completely clear. But although being your Guardian Angel is a job, it is a job that I want to do. I want to protect you. I want you to be safe and happy." 
 
"What did you feel when you kissed me?" I asked.
I saw his eyes widen and he moved back slightly, hand sliding off from shoulders. It was more of a natural reaction than an intentional move. "I thought we weren't going to talk about it." He said softly, eyes averted. "But I want to."
 
"I didn't feel anything Minji. Nothing." He said turning away completely. "Is it because you love another woman until the stars burn out and even then you would still love her?" I asked without thinking through what I was saying and he finally turned to look at me eyes wide.