Chapter Forty

Angel Vessel


 


"I'm going to call you back." He said and hung up his phone and threw it on the bed. He grabbed my wrist as I walked out of the door, stopping me. 
 
"Wait Minji!"
 
I lowered my head so my hair covered most of my face putting a flimsy shield between him and I. "When do you have to go?" I asked. "Two days..." He answered and I looked up in shock. "T-two...days?" And he had the shame to look down. 
 
"You...you tried to push me away for the past two days. You are unfair Woohyun. You didn't give me a choice...48 hours. Wasted. I spent the last two night crying myself to sleep. And now you're telling me that..." I scoffed at the ridiculousness of my situation as my eyes filled with tears. Woohyun jerked the arm that was grabbing me and I slammed into his body with a "oof" before he wrapped his arms around me, burying his face in my neck. 
 
"Where are you going Woohyun? Where could you possibly be going that I can't follow?" I asked in a strangled voice. "What aren't you telling me?" He stayed quiet. 
 
"It isn't a place for you Minji." A voice said and the door opened to reveal Sunggyu. 
Woohyun jerked his head up. "You . Why are you eavesdropping?"
 
"Because I'm sick of you withholding information. You have 2 more days Woohyun You need to come clean. Stop treating her like some fragile doll. Eunji never wanted coddling either." The mention of Eunji hit a nerve for all of us. 
 
"I pity Minji for loving you, if this is how it is going to end." Sunggyu finally broke the silence and Woohyun moved faster than my eyes could follow to punch Sunggyu in the face. Sunggyu blocked and his face was grim.
"Sunggyu....don't say that." I said but the two men were looking at each other.
 
"You're only angry because I'm right." Sunggyu said pushing Woohyun off.
"I have no regrets for my actions." Woohyun said.
"No. But you're going to leave her a lot of regret."
I felt my hand balled up into fists and my anger rise up. 
 
"STOP IT!" I shouted and both men stared at me, stunned. 
"You two may have a past and are both tied to a world that I can't hope to follow, but you aren't allowed to do this to me. Sunggyu is right, Woohyun. I am tired of being lied to and being coddled. Tell me the truth. Tell me why you have to leave. Tell me where you are going. I can decide for myself whether or not I can follow." I said and I was greeted with silence for a minute. 
 
"Minji..."
"Don't you dare Minji me." I said clenching my jaw. I turned to Sunggyu. "You finally seem ready to spill, what is happening in two days?" I asked.
 
Sunggyu opened his mouth, but Woohyun grabbed his arm. "Don't you dare tell her."
Sunggyu glared at Woohyun. "Don't you dare touch me." He shook Woohyun off.
"If you aren't going to tell me, Woohyun, you have no right to stop Sunggyu." I said, sternly.
 
Woohyun ran a hand through his already messy hair. His lips moved and even standing do close, I couldn't hear him.  "You are going back to heaven, aren't you?" I questioned.
 
"No Minji." He said looking at me with a pained look. "Far from it."
I grabbed the front of his shirt and pulled him to me. "Look me in the eye and tell me the truth."
"Give me a day, Minji." He pleaded.
My hand dropped from his clothes. I started to laugh covering my eyes. It was humorless laughter. I removed my hand and saw both men look at me with a panicked look in their eyes like I had gone crazy. I felt like I might have been on the verge of it. What did I ever to to deserve to mentally tortured by the man I loved. Why was I still looking at Woohyun? "You made her hysterical" Sunggyu said to Woohyun. 
 
"You won't see me again." I said in a deadpan voice. I grabbed my phone and walked out without waiting for a reply and slammed the door as hard as I could behind me. 
 
I went back to the office. There was only one way to get my mind off this and that was too work. I grabbed the files I need and when finally got back to my apartment, I saw Myungsoo sleeping on my couch. 
 
I sighed. What was I doing to all of us?
 
I put the files down. I pulled the folded blanket off the handle of the seat and covered him with it. "Why aren't you sleeping in your own bed?" I asked softly. 
 
"Because I need to make sure you're safe." Myungsoo replied as his eyes fluttered open. He grabbed my hand gently. "You look really bad." He said.
I was taken aback. "What?"
 
"You look like you haven't slept well, eaten or showered." He said. I blushed. He was right about all those things. "I'll make you something. Go shower." He got up.
"You really don't have to." I said. "But I want to." Myungsoo sighed and went to the kitchen. I conceded and went to shower. I stood under the hot spray for a long time. I scrubbed at my skin. I felt like I had done something wrong. 
 
"Eunji." I wrote her name in the misted over mirror after getting out of the shower. "I can't compare to you, after all." I said softly. I didn't receive a reply nor was I expecting one. 
 
I walked out of the bathroom to find a bowl of ramen sitting on the coffee table. Myungsoo was watching tv. I sat down next to him and started to eat. I didn't realize how hungry I was until the first bite. I wolfed down the food in no time. I dared to glance at Myungsoo, but he wasn't looking at me. He had dozed off. I shook him awake. "If you're going to stay here, at least make me feel less guilty and sleep in a bed." I said. 
 
He yawned sleepily as I pulled him into my room. "But this is your room." 
"Don't drool on my bears." I warned and made him lie down and tucked him in. "Where are you going to sleep?" He asked. I smiled at him. I leaned down and kissed him on the forehead. "Go to sleep. You idiot." He had done so much for me.
 
"Minji." He grabbed my hand as I moved to leave the room. I squeezed his hand. "I'll sleep. I promise." I said and that was enough for him. He was exhausted and within a few minutes he was snoring softly. 
 
I went back to the living room and cleaned up. I curled up on the couch after putting on a funny movie. I didn't laugh, but it distracted me enough that I drifted to sleep. 
 
"Geez, you're so stubborn." I heard faintly and I felt myself being carried into my room. "Myung..." I complained. "I'm going to roll you up like a hotdog if you don't stay here." Myungsoo said. "You stay too." I said pulling on his shirt. He sighed and got into the bed. He turned away from me so I was staring at his back through my heavy lids. "I'm sorry." I said softly as my body relaxed. "A guy would love to hear 'I love you' more than 'I'm sorry'." He said lightly. He turned to face me. "Sleep." He patted the top of my head and I drifted back to sleep. The last thing I saw were his kind eyes and reassuring smile.