stop pissing me off - im jaebum

jung eunji and him
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

stop pissing me off

A week after the graduation, Im Jaebum went back to university to clean his locker and bring home all his books, unlike most of the last year students who did it way before they earned their diploma degree. Jaebum had his reason and it included avoiding a certain someone at all cost. Also, the campus was basically empty as the rest of the students recently finished their exam and were probably planning their summer vacation.

Early June was still a bit chilly. His black hair was growing a little longer, but he didn’t plan to cut it yet, he quite took a liking to it. He was wearing casual khaki pants today, a black t-shirt and covered with a denim jacket. Walking quickly climbing the entrance stairs, he hid both his hands inside his jacket pockets.

When he entered the hallway of the main study building just like his prediction he only found few people around. This was good, he hated to break the usual crowd. His plan was simple, going to the second floor where the student lockers were, taking out his belonging, and returning home immediately. To be honest, he wanted to just leave those books there and never returned back, but of course he couldn’t do that especially when he remembered how hard he earned those expensive books.

Knowing for sure that he needed those books, his parents simply told him to find his way to get them. They claimed it’s the way they showed their parental love to him, by not spoiling him over money. This was Korea, and when you’re rich of course you could choose to not spoil your children over money, like how rich people usually were, but providing study books were a completely different case, he wasn’t even asking for a car or expensive clothes. What’s normal here was when you had more money than average people, you would do anything to boast your children academic resume, books were the basic step. His father said he would thank him later, yes, it meant not now, not until he realized all those values they said were essential in his future life.

It’s not that he wasn’t being thankful to his parents, after all because of their so called parental duty had taught him to value his own money. He got a full cover scholarship since the second year, that’s actually when his parents started to cut his allowance, and he needed to think hard to cover half of his tuition. Although he kept declaring how he hated his parents, it’s also because of their tough love that now he’s already accepted in Tokyo University for his master degree in engineering which would start in a couple of months, of course it’s a full scholarship, he would never be able to cover the money himself. He would not admit how he’s thankful to them directly though, not yet, not when it’s been difficult years for him, unlike his rich community peers.

Enough talking about his parents, he had a real problem right now. His locker was empty already. He had a bad feeling when its door slightly opened. Crap. He hissed silently as he pulled the knob without even unlocking.

Stepping back, he run his fingers through his dark hair. Trying to think. Actually it wasn’t only his, all the lockers were already emptied. He should have guessed this. His eyes checked the lockers surrounding, trying to find any information and he found a flyer on the most right side of the row.

It informed the students to empty their locker before last day of the exam which was probably a week ago. Damn. He wanted someone to blame, but then it’s all on him and his ignorance to miss this information. Reading the paper carefully, he found there was committee’s number he could contact to retrieve his stuff, wasting no time he quickly dialed the person.

He sighed tiredly.

“Excuse me, what do you mean my books are not in the office?”

His plan was simple. But knowing it wouldn’t be, Jaebum started to get tensed.

“Yes, we have nothing under the name IM Jaebum.” The staff confirmed to him. “Someone already took it for you, hm, name… Jung Eunji.” The person paused and Jaebum groaned. “It seems that your friend has it with her, go call her.”

Jung Eunji. The campus sweetheart. The everyone’s friend. The batch president. The Chevening awardee. And what else following after the famous name, ah yes, the certain someone he had been trying to avoid. Just when everything seemed perfectly fine at staying away from her, the universe again showed him its powerful way. Damn. He hissed under his breath again. He didn’t even have her number. Why would him when they’re basically strangers?

But those books were damn expensive, Im Jaebum. A voice behind his skull tried to remind him. Screw it, you can always open internet and cost you nothing. A whisper tried to distract him. He groaned. Your precious notes, those four years effort for not skipping any class.

Damn, you, Jung Eunji! He cursed inside his head.

Jaebum quickly called back the lockers committee and asked whether they had Jung Eunji’s phone number, claiming that she wasn’t his friend and he didn’t know her. When the staff said he didn’t have her number, he accused them for giving students' belonging to anyone who claimed as a friend.

“I believe I can report this, those books cost me hundreds of thousands and I assure you I don’t want to pay the same money for something I already have. So, due all respect, please give me Jung Eunji’s phone number or whoever who took my books.”

It seemed that being a successful lawyer’s son had taught him that he could always use law to benefit him. Jaebum didn’t want to waste his time and telling the staff that he would only wait for half an hour. His ultimatum seemed quite terrifying though, the staff called him in about five minutes later and gave him exactly what he wanted. He didn’t care how they got her number or whether they actually had it already, Eunji was famous, it should be easy to get her number especially when you worked in the building. His guess was right and he immediately dialed the number as he walked out the building.

“Hey.” He greeted as the call connected, his voice was cold. “I need to get my books.” Jaebum went straight on point.

“I’m sorry who is this?” And how unfair, her voice was as friendly as expected. It irritated him even more.

“It’s Im Jaebum, they said you took my books, and I need them back. Should I go to your place or you come here?” He definitely wasted no time.

“Im Jaebum, right, hm, are you still in the campus?”

“Yes.”

“If you’re okay with it, let’s meet at Starbucks across the street, I’ll be there in about 15, no 20 minutes.”

“OK. Thanks.” No, he didn’t sound thankful.

Heaving tiredly, he slid his phone back to his pants pocket and left the building. It took him about ten minutes to walk to the café. An overly luxurious place for a poor student like him, yes his parents were rich, but he’s not so much. He didn’t waste money on bad taste coffee, he’d rather brewed his own. Not trying to sound sophisticated or such, but his father loved coffee so much that their house always stocked many types of coffee, like hell he would waste those expensive treats even if he had to make it himself.

That explained why he only waited outside the building. His plan was still getting the books back, not having chit-chat with the superstar let alone buying even just a cup of espresso. Not a chance.

He was listening to random songs as he waited for her. Looking at the sky. His mind decided to travel back looking for memory of their first encounter. His very first time seeing Jung Eunji. Even by a glimpse he could tell the girl was not a mere freshman, she’s beyond that. She was bright, cheerful, and simply pretty. No, he didn’t know the word gorgeous existed back then, but that should be perfect to explain the girl. And later he found she was a genius, being the fourth best in admission test not just among the architecture class, or the engineering faculty, yes, she was the fourth best of the whole batch.

He should know he didn’t like their encounter. The memory started to ridicule him, especially when he could feel his heart beat a bit faster than it should be.

On the first day of the faculty orientation they were in a same group. She was wearing a knee length denim skirt, a blue t-shirt covered with a thick Nike jacket. Shoulder length black hair with a tunic headband which his group mates commented cute. It was so easy for her to be the center of attention. She even sang for the group performance, very beautifully, if he’s honest. But no, he would never admit it. She was … too shiny. And it pissed him, a lot.

Like right now. Running to him, as if she should.

“I’m sorry, the bus was a bit late.” She said as she rested her hands on her knees, trying to manage her breath.

He checked on her. Again. Which he shouldn’t. He knew. But, he still did, as if it’s natural. Her hair was now in darkish brown, wavier than the last he remembered, which fell long on her back as she rose from her knees, he discovered simple braids on both sides of her head and circled to the back. He should say it was lovely. Of course he didn’t.

She’s wearing white on top, with a light brown cardigan and a floral summer skirt, although it’s still pretty chilly. She looked simply … breathtaking. He didn’t know that word, but even if he did he would refuse to use the word.

“You’re not late,” he said. His voice was cold, still.

Yet, she smiled, petite although enough to show her teeth. “I tried not to be.” She grinned even wider. And his heart raced even wilder.

“My books.” He extended his hand, asking the obvious.

“Ah right, here.” She lifted a seemingly heavy paperbag and handed him using both her hands.

It was indeed heavy, there were at least four thick reference books and about three notes. There was a petite guilt as he felt the weight, he should have gone to her place instead.

“Thanks.”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter