Baby Kwan

She is not my dongsaeng

Gary waited impatiently outside the clinic.

“Is 9am already, why isn’t the clinic open yet.” Gary kept reading his watch, he paced up and down the pavement outside the clinic. Sweat started to gather on his neck and soaked through his Halyang T-shirt

“Hyung, you are here! I was looking for you.” Sam came running from the other end of the pavement.

“Sam, is 9:10 am already. The clinic still not open. You have the doctor’s number? Can we call him?” Gary asked as he used the back of his hands to wipe off the sweat from his neck, and now also his forehead.

“Hyung, today is a public holiday. Clinic not open.” Sam said.

“What? What holiday? Who’s holiday?” Gary yelled.

Gary just came back from Bali the previous night. He woke up as early as 7 am this morning and waited at this clinic 10 minutes away from his office since 8:30 am, hoping that perhaps the doctor comes to work early and Gary can ask him about the DNA report.

“Holiday in Seoul.” Sam replied, pushing Gary towards the direction of the Leessang’s office before his hyung attract too much attention on the street.

“Sam, I can’t wait. Tomorrow is Saturday, the clinic not open. Sunday, not open. I have to wait till Monday, 2 more days, no 3 more days to go including today. I think I will go crazy.” Gary said, scratching his head.


Sam finally got hold of the doctor by Saturday afternoon.

“Mr Kang, are you very sick? Let me take your temperature first.” The doctor looked at Gary who had 2 dark eye rings under his eyes.

“No, doctor Kim. Your clinic called me about the DNA report, about some mixed up.” Gary asked the doctor edgily.

“Oh…yes.” Doctor Kim took out a brown envelope. “This is the correct report. Mr Kang, I am very sorry, there was a mixed up when we print the reports. The names looked alike. We mixed up a Kang Hwan Gun and a Kang Hwan Gang.” Doctor Kim passed the correct report to Gary.

Gary quickly retrieve the document. He was praying hard that he will see what he wanted to see.

“POSITIVE.” Gary read out the results aloud.

“POSITIVE. POSITIVE. POSITIVE!!!” Gary kept repeating the words, louder and louder each time. His hands were shaking.

“Mr Kang, are you OK? You understand what is the meaning of positive right? That means Kang Hwan Gun and Kang Hee Gun are related.” Doctor Kim explained.

“Yes! Yes! YES!!! Is POSITIVE!!” Gary started dancing around in the clinic. 


Gary had no time to blame the clinic and the doctor, he speed his way to Ji Hyo’s apartment.

“Ji Hyo, Hwan Gun, open up!” Gary kept pressing the door bell.

“Who is that?” Seong-en was the one who answered the door.

“Seong-en, is Ji Hyo in?” Gary asked.

“NO.” Seong-en answered coldly.

“Gary Ssi, don’t ever come to this house again. You are not welcomed.” Seong-en wanted to close the door but Gary stopped her.

“Where is Ji Hyo, I need to talk to her.” Gary started to panic. The house was so quiet. Usually when Hwan Gun sees that Gary is here, he would run to the TV console to get the keys to open the gate for Gary.

“Unnie and Hwan Gun not here. Pleae don’t look for them anymore. Enjoy yourself with those girls.” Seong-en glared at Gary.

“Is Ji Hyo mad at me?” Gary continued to put his hand on the door, preventing Seong-en from closing it.

“Why you bother to look for unnie? You want a son of your own right? Go to those girls in Bali, they can always give you sons and even daughters. But go and take DNA test and make sure these kids are your OWN.” Seong-en yelled at Gary. Her face was red and her voice cracked.

“What….why….Ji Ji Hyo knows about…about the DNA test?” Gary stammered.

“Gil Oppa, come and help me close the door.” Seong-en shouted into the house. Gil walked out from Seong-en’s bedroom. Gary was shocked to see Gil at Ji Hyo's apartment.

“Bro, I am sorry. Let’s cool it for a minute. I can explain when we are back at our office.” Gil convinced Gary to let go of the door.


“So you told Seong-en about the DNA report.” Gary glared at Gil.

“You told her about it because you dating Seong-en??!!.” Gary glared at Gil, harder this time.

“So girlfriend is more important than brotherhood??!!.” Gary’s glare continued.

“Kang Gary. I think you still don’t get it.” Gil sighed.

“I know I am the one who encouraged you to have the DNAs examined. But Ji Hyo is not mad about you taking Hwan Gun’s and your genes for the DNA test. She is upset on how you behave after the results were out. Ask yourself, how you behave after the results says negative. How you behave after you knew that the results were mixed up and Hwan Gun is actually your son.” Gil glared back at Gary.

“I…..I….”Gary suddenly understood the situation. He sank down onto his office chair.

“Bro, you have lots to do. Good luck!” Gil patted on Gary’s shoulders.

“Bro, thanks for the advice. You woke me up.” Gary stood up and gave Gil a brother hug. “You have to help me spy on Seong-en on the whereabouts of my wife and my son. And why you never annouced to us about your relationship with Seong-en? Good job! You have good taste in woman, like me." Gary patted Gil's shoulders.

“KANG GARY!” Gil blushed. “Seong-en will be fetching Ji Hyo and Hwan Gun back from their hometown on Monday. Go apologise to them.”


Gary didn’t know what time Ji Hyo will be back home. He waited outside Ji Hyo’s apartment since 6 am in the morning. After all, he couldn’t sleep the night before.

“Uncle Gary…..Uncle Gary.” Gary felt that someone was pulling his sleeve. Gary opened his eyes lazily. A pair of innocent eyes were staring at him.

“Hwan Gun!” Gary can immediately recognized that child his son. He quickly grabbed Hwan Gun into his embrace. At the same time, Gary lifted his head, his eyes started looking for Ji Hyo.

Ji Hyo was carrying a little boy in her hands. The little boy, perhaps about 2 years old was sleeping soundly on Ji Hyo’s shoulders.

“Hwan Gun, help umma to take the keys.” Ji Hyo said. She wasn’t looking at Gary at all. Ji Hyo was abou to bend down to let Hwan Gun reach for her backpack when Gary stood up to help. Gary knew exactly where Ji Hyo kepts her keys.

“Let me help.” Gary said. As Gary was about to reach for Ji Hyo’s backpack, Seong-en came out from the lift.

“Seong-en, please help to open the door.” Ji Hyo turned and walked away from Gary.

“She is angry, she is mad at me.” Gary mumbled his thoughts.

“Hwang Gun, get into the house please.” Ji Hyo told her son while using her knees to push Hwan Gun to move forward.

Hwan Gun went into the house, followed by Ji Hyo and then Seong-en who was carrying a lugguage bag.

“Let me help.” Gary quickly offered.

“Gary oppa, if you want to step into this house, go to the car to help fetch the stroller and the tote bag from the boot.” Seong-en hinted at Gary. Gary nodded his head. He walked and ran at the same time, within minutes he was back at the apartment.

“Kang Gary, thank you. You can go now.” Ji Hyo came to the door to get the stuffs from Gary.

“No No, Ji Hyo, let me help to bring these into the house.” Gary did not care what Ji Hyo said. He squeezed himself through the door, knocking the stroller into the door and walls.

“Ya! Kang Gary, you are breaking Hwan Gun’s stroller.” Ji Hyo scolded Gary. It was then a child’s cry made Ji Hyo gave up her struggle with Gary. Ji Hyo ran into her bedroom to check on the child.

“Umma, baby Kwan is crying.” Hwan Gun pulled Ji Hyo’s hand. Gary made use of this chance, went into Gary’s apartment and closed the door before anyone could stop him.

“Baby Kwan, is OK. Auntie Ji Hyo is here.” Ji Hyo picked up the baby from her bed and start comforting the baby.

“Umma, is baby kwan ok?” Hwan Gun looked worried.

“What happened?” Seong-en came rushing from te bathroom. She went to prepare the bath for Hwan Gun and the baby.

“Nothing, It should be OK. He just woke up and see no one around and cried.” Ji Hyo explained.

Gary was standing at the bedroom door. He did not know what to do. Should he apologize? Should he asked what is happening? Or should he asked where he should put the tote bag which is filled with baby stuffs or……..

“Who is that baby? Baby Kwan? Who’s child? Mine? No no….cannot be mine. Ji Hyo’s baby with someone else? No no no, Kang Gary what are you thinking. You MUST BE CRAZY!” Gary scolded himself.

“Seong-en, didn’t you say tha you are meeting Gil Oppa for lunch? You better get going, is almost 12:30 pm.” Ji Hyo told Seong-en.

“But unnie, how can you manage two kids? And all of you had not had lunch yet. Why not I asked Gil Oppa to bring some food. We can have lunch together.” Seong-en suggested.

“No no, Seong-en, you should go for your date.” Ji Hyo picked up Seong-en’s handbag , pushed her towards the door.

“Shh…Shhh….Gary Oppa.” Seong-en whispered. “Your chance…help unnie….”

“Kang Gary….you…” Ji Hyo was about to ask Gary to leave.

“I will asked my staff to send some food over.” Gary quickly called his staffs and ordered Ji Hyo’s and Hwan Gun’s favourite food.

“I will help to shower the boys.” Gary grabbed Hwan Gun’s by his hand, took the baby from Ji Hyo and moved towards the shower room after ordering the food.

“Yeah! Uncle Gary shower, shower.” Hwan Gun shouted happily. Baby Kwan stared blankly at Gary, he wasn’t crying any more. Both boys followed Gary to the shower room.

Ji Hyo did not urged, she did indeed need help. Ji Hyo took her own shower in the other shower room and help Gary to dress the boys. Food came shortly after the boys were dressed up.

The boys finally went to bed. Baby kwan and Hwan Gun shared the same bed. Gary and Ji Hyo took each sides of the bed and pat the boys to sleep. There wasn’t much interactions between Gary and Ji Hyo though Gary kept stealing glances at Ji Hyo.

Ji Hyo dropped herself on the sofa. It was an exhausted day for her. She hammered her shoulders with her eyes closed. Gary went behind Ji Hyo and gave her a shoulder massage. Ji Hyo was initially enjoying the massage when suddenly she realized that it was Gary. She smacked Gary’s hands.

“Ouch!” Gary groaned.

“Kang Gary, you can go now.” Ji Hyo asked Gary to leave.

“Ji Hyo, please let me explain.” Gary refused to go. He was also anxious to know who is baby Kwan.

“Ji Hyo, or at least let me know who is baby Kwan. You will need help with 2 boys.” Gary asked sincerely.

“Not your son.” Ji Hyo answered coldly.

“Ji Hyo, please….please forgive me. I am sorry.” Gary squat besides Ji Hyo.

“Regardless, Hwan Gun or baby Kwan. As long as is yours, I will treat them as mine.” Gary said.

“Ya! Kang Gary, do you think I am an easy woman?” Ji Hyo hit Gary’s chest, glared at him and turned away.

“No No…I…..” Gary sighed. He did not know how he should explained himself.

“He is En Na’s.” Ji Hyo mentioned softly.

“En Na’s?” Gary’s jaws dropped.

“En Na’s and Kao’s.” Ji Hyo sighed.

“Then…er…why is baby Kwan here.” Gary couldn’t help it, he continued to ask.

“Be….be….because….” Ji Hyo’s eyes suddenly turned red, her voice started to crack. “Because…..En Na …..En Na….she…she….had passed away.” Tears gushed through Ji Hyo’s eyes.

“What?” Gary was surprised to hear that. The last time when Gary accompanied Ji Hyo and Hwan Gun back to Ji Hyo’s parents’ home, they meet En Na. She was working as a waitress at a Café. Life was hard for En Na. Kao was still trying his luck in the enteraintment industry while En Na worked hard to support his dreams and their son. Unfortunately, Kao got into an affair with his manager. En Na was so upset that she committed sucide. She took her own life.

Ji Hyo went back to her hometown to make arrangements for En Na. Kao had no intentions to bring baby Kwan with him since his manager was against the idea. Ji Hyo felt sorry for the kid.

“I had decided to adopt baby Kwan. I will apply for adoptions next week.” Ji Hyo said sobbing, yet a tone of determination can be detected from Ji Hyo's voice.