Moments

She is not my dongsaeng

“Uncle Gary, can we go to Han River today? I want to learn how to cycle. Can you teach me?” Hwan Gun looked at Gary with his innocent eyes.

Ji Hyo was cooking dinner in the kitchen. Gary and Hwan Gun were playing wih the train set that Gary got from Singapore after one of his events. They were building the rail tracks together.

“You want to learn how to cycle? Sure Sure, Uncle Gary can teach you how. Do you have a bicycle?” Gary patted Hwan Gun’s head and asked.

“Nope. Uncle Gary, you have one at home, right? Can I borrow yours?” Hwan Gun asked.

“Uncle Gary’s bicycle is for adults not for children. How do you know I have a bicycle at home?” Gary asked causally. “Hwan Gun, try to fix this piece here.” Gary guided Hwan Gun on building the tracks.

“I saw your photo, you riding a bicycle with mummy.” Hwan Gun replied.

“Huh?” Gary who was handing another piece of rail track to Hwan Gun, his hand frozen in the mid air.

“Where you saw the photo?” Gary asked.

“Mummy’s wallet. Uncle Gary, should I fix this piece here?” Hwan Gun asked, pointing at his rail tracks.

“Ji Hyo's wallet? Hwan Gun, can you show Uncle Gary the photo?” Gary pulled Hwan Gun to sit on his lap.

"I don't know. Mummy says is rude to touch other people's things." Hwan Gun shook his head.

“Boys, come, dinner is ready.” Ji Hyo had finished cooking. There was stew beef, kimchi soup, steam toufu and seafood omettle on the dinning table.

“Uncle Gary, why you want to see the photo?” Hwan Gun asked.

“I am just curious.” Gary said.

“What is curious?” Questions start flowing from Hwan Gun.

“Hey, dinner is ready!” Ji Hyo shouted again.

“Let’s eat first. Uncle Gary will teach you how to ride the bicycle.” Gary winked at Hwan Gun. The boy and the man hooked their last finger together, a pinky promise.

“Ji Hyo , your cooking is getting better and better each week. At least, I don’t get tummy upset like last time.” Gary joked.

“Kang Gary, shut up anfd eat more.” Ji Hyo glared at Gary, at the same time piling food in his plate.


“Oppa, you shouldn’t have spend the money on this bicycle.” Ji Hyo said as Hwan Gun wore the helmet that comes with the bike , he ran happily around the new bike that Gary had bought for him.

“Hwan Gun, darling…come here.” Ji Hyo waved at her son. “Did you ask Uncle Gary to buy this for you? Where are your manners? How can you ask people to buy things for you? This is not right!” Ji Hyo’s voice wsa gentle but her big and shinning eyes showed her frustrations.

“Mummy, I…I…did not ask Uncle Gary to buy this.” Hwan Gun looked at Ji Hyo timidly. He shifted his body towards Gary, seeking for protection.

“Ji Hyo, no no…Hwan Gun only asked me to teach him how to ride the bicycle. I bought this bike for him because….because….he did a good job in building the rails. He is well behaved. Good boy.” Gary started to find all sorts of reasons, he wanted Ji Hyo to think this is a reward.

“Oppa, you are spoiling him. You have been buying him so many toys, the rail way set from Singapore, this handsome bike, the kids backpack, the stationery set. There are so many to be named. Gary Oppa, you don’t need to do this.” Ji Hyo sighed.

“Ji Hyo, I see Hwan Gun as….as….my own child. So is alright for me to dote on him.” Gary looked into Ji Hyo’s eyes sincerely.

Ji Hyo quickly looked away. Every time Gary looked into Ji Hyo’s eyes, ji Hyo felt that her heart will leaped and pound. When Gary held up her hands, her heart would just melt. Whenever Gary dotes on Hwan Gun, Ji Hyo felt guilty.

“Mummy, please don’t be angry with Hwan Gun. I will not learn how to ride the bicycle. Please don’t be angry with Hwan Gun and Uncle Gary.” Hwan Gun looked at Ji Hyo with his big and innocent eyes. Tears b through his eyes.

“Hwan Gun, mummy is not angry. I just want you to understand that is not right to ask people for gifts. Now, Mummy understands. The bike belongs to Uncle Gary, so Hwan Gun is going to borrow it to learn how to ride. After learning, Hwan Gun will return the bike to Uncle Gary. OK? Deal?” Ji Hyo kneed down to comfort Hwan Gun. Hwan Gun nodded his head.

“Mummy not angry anymore.” Gary smiled. “Uncle Gary will keep the bike in the car, we shall go to Han River for a ride this Sunday!” Gary proposed.

“Mummy……”Hwan Gun looked at Ji Hyo, begging for consent.

“Let’s go ridining this Sunday!” Ji Hyo raised her hands in agreement.

“Yeah!” The 3 of them chorused. Gary was so happy, he felt warm.


Gary stared at his glass of cold Americano. He was meeting up with Ha Ha, Skull and Gil. The 2 groups will be performing for a few universities next month. They got together to plan on the performing agenda for the shows.

“Hyung…..are you listening?” Haha pushed the Americano towards Gary. The straws almost poking into Gary’s nostrils.

“Yah! Ha Dong, watch it.” Gary glared at Ha Ha.

“Anything you want to tell us?” Ha Ha asked.

“What else. Must be his woman and his son again.” Gil said.

“Hyung, I didn’t want to say this. It has been almost a year. You should pushed Ji Hyo in admitting Hwan Gun is your son. Anyone who knows Kang Gary can tell that Hwan Gun resembles almost 90% like him.” Ha Ha said.

“Sigh….” Gary closed his eyes and looked at the ceiling fan.

“I had sais this many times. Go and get yours and Hwan Gun DNA examined if you are so eager to know the truth. By then Ji Hyo cannot deny anymore.” Gil said.


The Han River was quiet on a Monday morning. Instead of a Sunday, Gary and Ji Hyo took Hwan Gun to the river on a Monday to avoid unnecessary attention from the fans and media.

“Uncle Gary, I am scared. Don’t let go, don’t let go.” Hwan Gun screamed.

“You are doing well. Son, you are doing well.” Gary had been guiding Hwan Gun on the bicycle for the past 1 hour. While Ji Hyo cycled behind them, with a big bags of water bottles, sandwiches and towels in the basket on the back of her bike.

“Let’s take a rest.” Ji Hyo took a towel and dry the sweat on Hwan Gun.

“Kang Gary, have some water.” Ji Hyo handed a bottle of water to Gary. Gary drank half of the water and passed it to Hwan Gun. There were sweat and water all over Gary’s face. Seeing Gary in such as state, Ji Hyo took a clean towel and wipe his sweat of his face and his neck.

The action from Ji Hyo was so natural. Gary looked at Ji Hyo lovely. He was enjoying every moment that he spend with Ji Hyo and Hwan Gun for the past 1 year.

Moments where Hwan Gun gave both Gary and Ji Hyo kisses on the cheeks when sending him off to school.

Moments where Gary sat at the kitchen chatting with Ji Hyo while she cooks.

Moments where Gary washes the plates at the kitchen, Hwan Gun and Ji Hyo drying the plate .

Moments where Hwan Gun sat between Gary and Ji Hyo during meal gatherings with the RM family or with Gary’s buddies or Ji Hyo’s parents or Gary’s parents.

Moments where Gary and Ji Hyo watched Hwan Gun learning and playing the Piano at the music school and at Ji Hyo’s apartment.

Moments where Hwan Gun and Ji Hyo watched Gary recording his raps and songs at this studio.

Gary treasured all those moments though he wished that he could be more initimate with Ji Hyo.

“Mummy………….” Cries broke the slience. It was Hwan Gun. He tried riding the bike on his own, lost his balance and fell off the bike.

“Hwan Gun!” Ji Hyo screamed. Both Gary and Ji Hyo rushed forward to examine on Hwan Gun.

There were some bleeding and light scratches and bruises on Hwan Gun’s arms and elbows.

“Dear, is ok. You are OK. Don’t cry.” Ji Hyo blew on the scratches to ease Hwan Gun’s pain. Gary poured some water on the towel to clean the wounds.

“Mummy…..” Hwan Gun screamed again due to the pain.

“You are a brave boy. You are not scare of pain.” Gary patted Hwan Gun’s head to comfort him. Gary put some plasters, plasters with Winnie the Pooh.


Hwan Gun finally mastered how to ride a bicycle after a few hours of learning and practicing. He was totally exhausted and went straight to bed after shower and dinner.

Gary went to Hwan Gun’s room to pat him to sleep. After Hwan Gun dozed off, Gary carefully changed the plasters on Hwan Gun’s wounds for him. Gary was about to throw the used plasters into the bin when he hesitated.

“Check his DNA.” Gil’s proposal echoed in Gary’s mind. He stared at the plasters. The next minute he put these into the pockets of his khaki shorts.

“Kang Gary, thank you for today.” Ji Hyo made a cup of coffee for Gary.

“Ji Hyo, I am sorry that I did not keep a good eye on Hwan Gun making him suffer from the fall.” Gary apologized.

“Oppa, no need to apologize. It is common for kids to fall. Just light scratches only. Hwan Gun will recover in no time.” Ji Hyo smiled.

“Kang Gary, about the honey supply for next month.” Ji Hyo started to talk about business.

“Ji Hyo, is our day off.” Gary quickly stopped Ji Hyo.

“Is it just business and Hwan Gun between us?” Gary asked. “ Is already one year, can’t this woman see my sincerity? My heart is always open for her.” Gary yelled in his heart.

“We are going to talk about this tomorrow anyway. If we can steal time and dicsuss now, we can spend less time over this matter in tomorrow’s meeting. I don't want to take up too much of your time.” Ji Hyo her notebook.

“Ji Hyo…..I can spend as much time as you want, as long as is with you and Hwan Gun.” Gary took the notebook from Ji Hyo, flapped it down and hide it behind his back.

“Yah! Kang Gary!” Ji Hyo hit Gary on his arm. “Give it back.” She leaned forward to snatch the notebook. Gary shifted a little to move the notebook to the side. Ji Hyo lost her balance, fell on Gary’s chest.

“Don’t move! Just let me hug you for a minute.” Gary took this opportunity. He s his hands to Ji Hyo’s back, keeping her in his embrace.

Ji Hyo felt hot. Her face turned red, her heart bounced and leapt. She stayed still in Gary’s hug.

“Song Ji Hyo, saranghae.” Gary whispered softly, planting a kiss on Ji Hyo’s forehead. Upon hearing that, Ji Hyo cuddled closer to Gary’s chest. The one minute hug became a 2 hours cuddle on the sofa as the couple watched a DVD movie.

"How I wish we can do this every day." Gary smiled happily.