Negative?

She is not my dongsaeng

“Negative??!!! What do you mean by NEGATIVE??!!!” Gary was almost screaming at the top of his voice when Sam showed him the report from the doctor. Gary took the plaster that was off Hwan Gun’s wounds and send it to the clinic for DNA examination. He was getting impatient, he needed to claim both Ji Hyo and Hwan Gun as his and start a family.

“Gary Hyung, is….is…..yes….it…shows…sho….shows…ne…ne…negative. Neg...Negative means.....means...you and Hwan Gun......are....are....are...not....not related.” Sam was taken aback by Gary’s temper. He seldom sees Gary losing is temper like this.

“Gil Hyung, may…maybe…you…you can read this again. I am afraid that my eyes are playing tricks on me.” Sam pushed the report into Gil’s hands.

“I read it this a few minutes back, I also see negative.” Gil Whispered.

"Not related? What do you mean by not related? Negative?? Not Related??!!1" Gary kept shouting.

"Kang Gary, means you are not Kang Hwan Gun's father? GOT IT?" Gil said calmly with his hands folded infront of his chest. Gary had been forcing himself, Sam and Gil to read the report over and over again for the past 2 hours. Gil felt sympanthy with Gary. This was totally out of Gary's expectations. But Gil was also losing his patience with his buddy.

“How…HOW could this be negative? The whole world, the WHOLE world says that Hwan Gun resembles me. 100% resemblance. How this report can be negative??!!!” Gary smashed the report on the table. He sat down heavily on the sofa, buried his face into his hands.

“Gary Hyung……er….what should we do now? I…I mean…what can we do for you now.” Sam asked timidly.

“Just leave me alone.” Gary laid his head back on the sofa with his eyes closed.

“Go go….” Gil pulled Sam out of Gary’s apartment.

“Bro, don’t forget we are flying to the Philipines on Wednesday. Our Leessang show case next week in the Philipines, Thailand and Indonesia. Be prepared, don’t let things affect the show.” Gil couldn’t help but nagged at Gary.

“Ok Ok, I got it.” Gary replied frowning.


“Hwan Gun wants me to tell you , don’t forget about the cycling at Han River tomorrow.” Mong Ji, 9:35 pm.

It will be another Monday where Gary and Ji Hyo brings Hwan Gun to the Han River to practice his cycling. Ji Hyo had texted Gary on a Saturday night to remind him.

Gary usually gets excited after receiving Ji Hyo’s messages but this time round, Gary had mixed feelings. He still feels that Hwan Gun is his son but yet reality says the opposite. He still loves Ji Hyo but he can’t help thinking that Ji Hyo had betrayed him.

“Is that the reason why she avoided giving me anwers whenever I asked him if I am Hwan Gun’s father?”

“Did Ji Hyo made Hwan Gun look like me by getting the boy to share the same hair style as me? But he does resembles me, every one says that, even the media and the net citizens.”

“Stupid Kang Gary, Ji Hyo never admit that Hwan Gun is your son. She never. You are the one who think he is. Is just a one sided love. Ji Hyo is using you for her business.”

“I love Ji Hyo, I love Hwan Gun. It does not matter if Hwan Gun is my son. I said that before. I said that before.”

All sorts of thought flow through Gary’s mind, evil ones, positive ones, negative ones.  But Gary has no answers.

“Sam, can you help me to call Ji Hyo. Let her know I am not feeling well and want to cancel our date at the Han River tomorrow.” Gary told Sam.


“Kang Gary not feeling well? Is he OK? Fever? Cough? Flu? His overseas showcase is due in a few days’ time. Did he visit the doctor? Is he eating well? Anyone cooking for him? Should I come over to take care of him?” Ji Hyo couldn’t stop asking, she was worried for Gary.

“Ji Hyo noona, Gary Hyung….he…is OK.” Sam didn’t know what to say.

“OK? But you said he is sick a minute ago.” Ji Hyo felt confused.

“I mean he is sick….I mean ok….ok…not as in too serious. He just needed rest. So he send his apologies that he can’t make it for the Han River tomorrow. Please explain to Hwan Gun.” Sam tried his best to cover up for his boss.

“OK. I got it. Asked Kang Gary to rest well.” Ji Hyo finally accepted Sam’s explanation.

“Phew….I really don’t understand Gary Hyung, I really hate to lie to Ji Hyo noona. She is such a good woman. So what if Hwan Gun is not your son? You got alon with them so well. You are almost there already, opening up noona’s heart. And now…you….you are backing up? I don’t understand it.” Sam blurted out his inner thoughts to Gil.

Gil sighed, at the same time keeping quiet.

Gary received a picture text from Ji Hyo. It is a photograph taken by Ji Hyo, it is a drawing from Hwan Gun. In the drawing, there were two men, one with hair wearing a sunglass and the other is bald, also wearing a sunglass. There is a word says Leessang on top of the drawing, follow by a few lines of words that says “Leessang, daebak!”

“Kang Gary, wishes from Hwan Gun.” Ji Hyo, 7:30 am.

Gary smiled as he sees the picture.


Ji Hyo could actually feel something is wrong with Gary. Ever since the day which Sam informed her that Gary was sick and the Han River date was cancelled, Ji Hyo seldom hear from Gary. It was very unlike of Gary. Gary would text Ji Hyo 3 to 5 times a day even when he is overseas. He would at least call Ji Hyo or talk to Hwan Gun once a day and do video conference with them when he is overseas.

“Umma, why isn’t uncle Gary talking to me these days?” Hwan Gun misses Gary. He would asked about Gary every day.

“He is busy, I guessed.” Ji Hyo didn’t know what is wrong. This is the only answer she can give to Hwan Gun. Some times Hwan Gun would throw his temper when he asked Ji Hyo to call Gary and Ji Hyo refused.

“Uncle Gary is busy, let’s not disturb him. I will ask him to come to our house for dinner when he comes back from overseas.” Ji Hyo tried to comfort Hwan Gun. Hwan Gun sometimes buys this story but sometimes he doesn’t. He would secretly takes Ji Hyo’s mobile phone and try to call Gary. Unfortunately, Gary wasn’t picking up.

“Uncle Gary doesn’t want Hwan Gun anymore? He has new friends in overseas?” Hwan Gun would sobbed in Ji Hyo’s hug and sometimes in Seong-en’s embrace.

“Yah! Kang Gary, what are you up to.” Ji Hyo misses Gary too. She also got frustrated looking at how Hwan Gun was behaving.

Gary focused on his performance in the 3 overseas country. He did not want his personal affairs to be affecting his work. Jakarta was the last stop of the show. Gary took 3 days off from his schedule after the show, he stopped by a beautiful villa resort in Bali. He needed a rest, he needed time alone to think of how he should move on with his life, and with Ji Hyo and Hwan Gun.

Gary couldn’t figure out anything on his first day in Bali. Instead he did a lot of outdoor activities and exercises to bring his mind away from his problems. He went diving in the mornings. Cycle around the island in the afternoons. He returned to the Villa in the late afternoons to take a shower.

Ji Hyo’s face, followed by Hwan Gun’s surfaced in his mind when he settled down on the King size bed after his showers.

“I missed you so much.” Unknowningly, Gary traced his fingers over the wall paper on his mobile phone. It was one of his favourite photo taken with Ji Hyo and Hwan Gun. They were at his Bees and Honey farm, making cookies together. All 3 of them wearing T-shirts with prints of Winnie the Pooh. Hwan Gun made honey chocolate cookies in the shape of Winnie the Pooh and Minions with the help of Ji Hyo and Gary. The 3 of them held up the end product and posed for a photo.

“I missed you……” Gary dozed off helding the picture close to his heart.

He woke up by 8 pm, went out fo dinner and drop by a local club. He needed to lift his mind off from Ji Hyo and Hwan Gun. He still has no answers to what he wants. With Gary’s popularity, many locals and tourists know who Kang Gary is. Fan girls from different nationalities glued to Gary like Bees attracted to honey.

Gary’s clubbing pictures were soon uploaded to the social media and got spread around on the internet. Girls leaning against him, girls dancing around him. There were even a few photos where he was sleeping on the lap of an American girl and the same girl giving him a kiss on his cheeks.

Though these girls had invited Gary to stay at their villas, Gary rejected. He got the club’s staff to send him back to his own Villa, collapsed on the sofa and dozed off till the afternoon sun shone on his face.


There were countless number of missed calls on Gary’s phone when he wake up the next day.

“2 pm…oh, no wonder I am so hungry. Let’s handled these calls later. I need a shower and some good food.” Gary mumbled to himself.

He ordered room service. “You have Americano?” Gary asked naturally. “Oh Americano, Ji Hyo…I wonder how she and Hwan Gun are now. It’s more than a week since I last talked to her.” Gary suddnely missed Ji Hyo and Hwan Gun terribly.

It was almost 5 pm when Gary returned the calls. Most of the calls are from Sam and Gil.

“Hello? What’s up?” Gary said lazily.

“Hyung! Why did you call back so late?” Sam was shouting at the other end of the phone.

“Hyung, your clubbing pictures were all over the social media. Do…do….you need to explain to Ji Hyo Noona?” Sam asked.

“The clinic called. They said is important, they need you to be at the clinic once you are back in Seoul.” Sam continued leaving no space for Gary to chip in.

“Clubbing pictures? Clinic? Explain to Ji Hyo? Er…what are you talking about?” Gary yawned.

“CHECK THE FACEBOOK, CHECK WEIBO, CHECK TWITTER, CHECK IG.” Gil roared at the other end of the phone.

Gary became nervous after he saw those clubbing pictures. He doesn’t deny that he has overdo things.

“Yah! What was I thinking??!! What will Ji Hyo think? Will she be mad with me?” Gary kept scratching and rubbing his head. He felt guilty, he felt scared. He suddenly has this feeling that he will be losing Ji Hyo and Hwan Gun.

"And the clinic." Sam continued to talk non stop at the other end of the phone.

“And what clinic?” Gary asked. He was still muddled with Sam’s words.

“I don’t know. Hyung, seems is related to the DNA report for Hwan Gun and you.” Sam said. “Seems….Seems…they MIXED UP something.” Sam spelt out the words mixed up carefully.

“Mixed up? What do you mean?” Gary asked. His heart was pounding hard when he heard these words.

“Hyung, I really don’t know. Come back to Seoul first, then we can clarify with the clinic. The earliest flight we have is tomorrow afternoon. You have to transit in Singapore and take the last night flight back to Seoul.” Sam rushed his words.

"Confirmed that ticket for me." Gary wasted no time. He knew he need to get back to Seoul as soon as possible.