Kang Gary, Thank You for Everything

She is not my dongsaeng

It was a pleasant dinner. The atmosphere was warm and the conversations were funny. The food was good and so were the honey Soju. Ji Hyo and Gary enjoyed watching Mr and Mrs Nam bickering at each other. Sitting together with Mr and Mrs Nam and Gary for dinner, Ji Hyo felt like she was with her family.

“How I wish Hwan Gun is here. Is like having dinner with his daddy, grandpa and grandma. Though Mr and Mrs Nam are not his real grandparents, Kang Gary is actually his…his….” Ji Hyo’s thoughts were halted by Mrs Nam.

“Ji Hyo Ssi….have more honey soju. This is our new product, not on the market yet. Efforts from my old man and this young man here.” Mrs Nam pointing at her husband and Gary.

“I wanted to research on a honey beer receipe. But both the seniors think that honey soju is better.” Gary chipped in.

“Oh, yes, yes…delicious.” Ji Hyo answered with her usual mong expression.

“Ji Hyo, you are in your mong state again? You are always the old mong ji.” Gary laughed at Ji Hyo’s expression. “Song Ji Hyo, do you know how much I had missed your mong self?” Gary inner thoughts yelled.

Gary wanted to drive Ji Hyo back to the hotel but both of them had too much of the honey soju.

“Gary ssi, you take a rest. I can walk back to the hotel. Mr Nam’s is very near the honey farm and my hotel is near the farm also. So I think I can take a slow stroll back.” Ji Hyo bidded goodbye to the elderlys and Gary.

Gary stared at the back of Ji Hyo.

“Young man…..why are you standing here watching? Walk her back. I know is only 9 pm and our village is always safe. But be a gentleman, walk the lady back.” Mrs Nam pushed Gary.

“Oh, yes yes….Ji Hyo…Ji….” Gary got his jacket and backpack, ran after Ji Hyo.

“Yah! Song Ji Hyo. Wait for me,” Gary caught up with Ji Hyo.

The 2 of them walked side by side on the quiet lanes of the village. The night breeze was refreshing but chill due to the morning and afternoon storms.

“Are you cold?” Gary offered his jacket to Ji Hyo.

“No No, I am OK.” Ji Hyo said.

“Ji Hyo…how…how…is life?” Gary tried to break the awkard slience. In fact, he was keen to finding out more about Ji Hyo. The statement about ‘No Mr Big’ still echoed in his mind. Now, is just him and Ji Hyo. This made Gary anxious, the urge to know more about Mr Big was exploding inside Gary.

“Good.” Ji Hyo gave a short reply.

“I see……” Gary stared at the ground as they walked.

“How about Hwan Gun? His name is Hwan Gun, right?” Gary tried to dig in more.

“Yes, Kang Hwan Gun. He is good also.” Ji Hyo answered causally.

“Who? Kang Hwan Gun? His surname is Kang?” Gary lifted his head immediately when he heard the name starting with Kang.

“Er…Hwan Gun. I mean his name is Hwan Gun. My son’s name, Hwan Gun.” Ji Hyo then realized her mistake.

“I don’t meant to tell him, is a slip of the tongue.” Ji Hyo started to panic.

“But I heard you mentioned his surname is Kang. Your….your…husband….Mr …Mr Big. His surname is also Kang?” Gary asked tactfully.

“Er….Ye….yes….his surname also….also….Kang.” Ji Hyo stammered. “!’ Ji Hyo’s thoughts started to cursed.

“Really?” Gary started ti get suspicious.

“We do not know much about Mr Big…I mean Kang ssi. Did he come back with you to Seuol? How about Hwan Gun, he is in Seuol now or ?” Gary continued to ask.

“Nope…both in California. How about you? All is well and good?” Ji Hyo tried to switch the topic. “Kang Gary, stop asking me about Hwan Gun and Mr Big.” Ji Hyo screamed in her heart.

“Califorma? I thought Mr Big works in Wall Streets?” Gary asked. His suspicion grew.

“Huh? Oh….there is a convinence store here. I need to buy something. Gary Ssi, we are very near the hotel already. Why not you go back Mr Nam’s place, is getting late. It may take me a while to buy my stuffs. I don’t want to hold you up.” Ji Hyo bowed. She quicken her steps towards the direction of the convinence store.

“Song Ji Hyo, there is NO Mr Big right?” Gary blurted. Upon hearing that, Ji Hyo halted her pace.

“Stop lying to me. There is no Mr Big. You did not get married. Kang Hwan Gun is my son. He is my ties and blood.” Gary chocked as he spoke.

Ji Hyo was rooted to the ground. She did not know how she should react. Should she started running, run away from this man named Kang Gary? Should she turned around, put on an act and tell Gary that it was all his imagination? Should she just run into Gary’s arms, tell him that he is right. There is no Mr Big. She has no husband but a son whose surname is Kang because Kang Gary is the kid’s father.

“Please…Ji Hyo. Tell me the truth.” Gary back hugged Ji Hyo. Tears started to gather in Ji Hyo’s eyes.

“Kang Gary, don’t ask.” Ji Hyo whispered.

“Ji Hyo, tell me. I need to know.” Gary urged softely.

“Kang Gary, we lead a good life over these years. You have your life and I have mine. I think we should just go our separate ways and move on.” Ji Hyo attempted to break off from Gary’s hug but failed. Gary was holding on tightly, really tight.

“No, I am not good over these years. I thought I can move on. But I can’t. “ Gary tighten his hug.

“You were all always in my mind, always in my life. All these years, I download your picture to my mobile every week and delete them every week. Whenever I go to a shopping mall, I would buy your favourite frangance and after that throw it into the box in the store room. I drank Americano at least twice a week because I miss you. If there is no Mr Big, then why can’t we be together again?” Gary kept talking, non stop. He poured out his heart to Ji Hyo.

“Kang Gary……” Ji Hyo sobbed.

“Give me a chance. Please…..Ji Hyo.” Gary begged with tears rolling off his cheeks.

“What if…what if….you are not the father of Hwan Gun? Will you still want me back?” Ji Hyo suddenly challenaged.

“No? Not my son?” Gary’s grip started to loosen.

“Right, not yours.” Ji Hyo continued to challenage.

“I don’t care. To me, as long as is some one dear to Song Ji Hyo. He is kin to me.” Gary tighten his hug again.

“Are you sure?” Ji Hyo felt touched by Gary’s answers.

“I am sure.” There was no hesitation in Gary’s voice.


Starting from that day onwards, interactions started between Gary and Ji Hyo. Ji Hyo did not reject Gary's confessions but she did not agree to dating Gary either. But because Ji Hyo would like to use the honey from Mr Nam’s farm for her skin products, Gary, as the investor, the boss of the farm, took this opportunity to get close to Ji Hyo by negotiating the deal himself (and of course with help from his team from the farm and Leessang company.)

There would be discussions between Gary’s and Ji Hyo’s team every alternate day. The 2 of them would travel to Busan every week to inspect on the quality of the honey. Though Gary does have many other performances and filming, he never misses any meeting or travel schedule with Ji Hyo. He just wished that he can have more individual time with Ji Hyo and Hwan Gun since every meeting or every visit to the bee farms, they were always surrounded by staffs from both companies.

Even when they were back in Seoul, Ji Hyo would avoid individual dates with Gary. Their dinner dates (or rather gathering) were always accompanied by the RM members, or Gil or Ji Hyo’s sister, Seong-en) would be there.

Though so, the scandals between Gary and Ji Hyo spread quickly. The media soon found out that there is actually no Mr Big and Ji Hyo is an unmarried mother. This stirred up a storm in Seoul’s entertainment industry and also the beauty and skin products industry.

Ji Hyo held her head high through the entire incident. She issued a statement through both her own company and Tae Hae’s agency, not denying any facts but sticking to her principles and pride as a person, a mother and the CEO of her skin productsHer courage was very much admired by the Korean public.

Gary texted Ji Hyo every day. Ji Hyo. . Ji Hyo’s close friends including the members and PDs from RM stood by her. Gary was one of them, supporting Ji Hyo with all his heart and efforts. Lending his shoulders to Ji Hyo whenever she wanted to cry and whenever she is tired. He helped to take care of Hwan Gun without questioning Ji Hyo again if he is the father.

Kang Gary, thank you for everything.”