My Heart Pounds (I)

She is not my dongsaeng

Author's Note :

It took me a while to update this story. My apologies. Too much to do at work leaving me no time to think about how the plot should continue. Some of the readers had guessed the plot right. That was what is always on my mind, but need time to put them in words.

I hope this chapter is not too short. I had tried my best with the plot and the writing. 


Spring of year 2019

Gary stared hard at the entertainment news on TV.

“Actress Song Ji Hyo Ssi is spotted at the Incheon International Airport this morning. Her appearance had captured much attention of both the media and Fans who were waiting for another girls band’s return from Singapore.” The entertainment reporter said.

“Song Ji Hyo Ssi had retired from the entertainment industry for years. It was rumoured that she had married a gentleman nicknamed Mr Big and gave birth to a boy. For the past years, she had stayed overseas to take care of her family. What had triggered her return to Seoul? Is she making a comeback? Our reporters had tried to find out answers from Sing Ji Hyo Ssi. But was blocked off by her manager.”

Gary raised the volume of the TV. His heart pounded when he saw Ji Hyo on TV. Ji Hyo still looked gorgeous, even with minimum makeup on her.  Gary waited for the replay of the news the whole night. He watched the same piece of news about Ji Hyo over and over again.

12 months, it was a full 12 months when he last seen Ji Hyo at his father’s wake. Ji Hyo and the image of the little boy is still fresh in Gary’s mind. At times, both the mother and child would appear in his dreams. He found himself smiling with joy and happiness when he woke up from his dreams.


The news of Ji Hyo returning to Seoul filled up the headlines of the entertainment news on the following day. Many versions of the story were escalated.

“Relationship with Mr Big breaks. Song Ji Hyo’s return to the entertainment industry as a divorcee”

“Deeply in Debst? Song Ji Hyo earnings to pay back husband’s debtors.”

The most shocking news was “No Mr Big. Song Ji Hyo is always a single mother.”

The return of Ji Hyo once again, fluttered Gary’s heart. He would checked on the entertainment news every morning, afternoon and evening to see if there are any updates on Ji Hyo.

“Sam, please try to find out what is happening. If Ji Hyo needs help, we should help her.” Gary wanted to know more. If the entertainment reports couldn’t tell him what he wanted to know, he is determined to find out these himself. He called Sam a few times a day to ask him for updates on Ji Hyo’s situation. However, to Gary’s disappointment, Sam did not manage to find out much.

The RM family also tried to ask Ji Hyo out to understand better on the situation but Ji Hyo seems to be very busy.

Ji Hyo kept a low profile about herself ever since she came back to Seoul. Many TV stations had invited Ji Hyo to make a cameo in their dramas, several skin care brands had tried to engage Ji Hyo as their spokeman. But there was no news heard that Ji Hyo would accept these deals.


“That means she is not in need of money? She is not making a comeback?” Gary tried to analyse the situation with Gil and Ha Ha.

“Then the rumours about her divorcing is not….is not…true?” Gary mumbled in a low voice. A mixture  of happiness and disappointment can be detected in his tone.

“Gary Hyung, so are you happy or sad if Ji Hyo is still living happily with Mr Big?” Ha Ha asked, yawning away. It was already 3 hours since Gary started analyzing Ji Hyo’s situation. Gary showed every piece of news that he can find from the internet and the newspaper to Ha Ha and Gil. He would asked both men for their views after going through every single news about Ji Hyo.

By 2 am in the morning, Gil and Ha Ha banged their face on the table, begging Gary to let them go for the day.

“Hyung, I have my wife and kids at home, waiting for me.” Ha Ha wailed. By now, Ha Ha is already the father of 2 kids.


After spending 1 week in Seoul, Ji Hyo is getting sick of all the reporters chasing after her every time she appeared in public.

“How can I bring Hwan Gun back to Seoul if I am already catching so much attention?” Ji Hyo sighed. She thought that the entertainment world had forgotten about her. She thought that she can come back to Seoul to lead a peaceful life.

“I am too naive. I am wrong.” Ji Hyo told Tae Han. Ji Hyo decided to leave Seoul secretly for Busan for some fresh air and also an assignment that she needs to take care of.

For the past years, Ji Hyo had been working hard to take care of Hwan Gun and her sister. When Ji Hyo first found out that she was pregnant, she had called Gary immediately to share the news with him even when they had already broken up for 2 weeks. Unfortunately, Ji Hyo was not able to reach him. (Gary’s father is seriously ill and was put in intensive care, he had switched off his phone.)

By the time, Gary returned Ji Hyo’s call which is another week later, the news of Gary and Min Jung’s wedding was announced. Ji Hyo could only held back her tears, congratulate Gary and lied about her having a flu since the lump in was choking her.

Tae Han came out with the idea about Mr Big when Ji Hyo decided to keep Gary’s baby. Idea? Yes, is an Ideal. There is actually no Mr Big at all.

Ji Hyo moved to California with her sister (Seong-en) and her sister’s husband-to-be. Seong-en’s boyfriend runs a Korean Restaurant in California. But regrettably, Seong-en’s relationship did not work out. Ji Hyo couldn’t return to Seoul either. So Seong-en and Ji Hyo decided to invest in some small business.

The sisters first started with running a small Café selling sandwiches, hotdogs, drinks and desserts. It was a hard time for the sisters. Ji Hyo couldn’t speak English well. She was pregnant and at many times suffering from morning sickness. Seong-en had to work extra hard for the café, at the same time taking care of her sister. Ji Hyo felt bad, she felt that she is a burden to Seong-en. At times, when she read news about Gary, she would locked herself in the bedroom and cry.

“Unnie, please, pull yourself together. You and the baby are the motivation that is pushing me forward. I can’t deny that I am still nursing my broken heart. You are my big sister, you are always my role model. You have to lead me and the baby.” Seong-en urged Ji Hyo to be strong.

Ji Hyo was waken by the words of her sister. While helping with the lighter chores in the café, Ji Hyo started making organic soap using tea leaves and honey. Her creativity on the organic soaps had attracted many followers. Soap later developed into facial wash, and then lip gross, perfume, facial mask. All using natural ingredients.

14 months later, while Ji Hyo was feeding Hwan Gun in her bedroom, Seong-en came running into the room with a contract from a skin care company named My Nature Company. This international skin care company offered to buy over Ji Hyo’s line of skin products.  Ji Hyo became the CEO of this range of products of hers and Seong-en took up the role of Marketing Director.

Ji Hyo came back to Seoul in hope of bringing her line of products to Korea after establishing the name in the US. Of course, she has her hidden agenda too. She wanted to see how Gary is doing though she did follow the news of Leessang every now and then.

“My heart still pounds when I see you, Kang Gary.” Ji Hyo whispered to herself whenever she came across any news about Gary.