Taking Care Of My Dongsaeng

She is not my dongsaeng

It was almost lunch time when Ji Hyo woke up. There were bottles of soju, bags of potato chips and chocolate cookies on the bedside table and the coffee table. Ji Hyo yawned as she sat up on the bed.

“I wished I can sleep for another few hours. But I am so hungry.” Ji Hyo’s stomach growled. She walked to the bathroom with her eyes half closed.


“Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!” a woman’s screams wake Gary up from his sleep.

“What the hell.” Gary almost cursed at the person who disturbed him from his sleep but he swallowed his words back when he noticed that it was already 11:30 am.  Gary spend the whole night writing his lyrics in the room. He checked into a guesthouse when he found that all the hotels located near the bus terminal was full. However, he was glad that he checked into this guesthouse. Though the rooms are not luxurious, and the location of the guest house is far from the bus terminal, the guesthouse is surrounded by trees and fruit plantations. The environment is quiet and calm giving Gary the space and comfort to think and write.

“Ahhhh……….HELP!” Another scream was heard.

“What if the lady really need help? I better take a look.” Gary took a peep behind the door of his room.


A woman came running out of her room. Her hair was in a mess, she was barefooted, her hands were shaking.

“………..COCKROACH.” The woman was screaming and crying at the same time.

“Ji Hyo?” Gary rubbed his eyes. It was indeed Ji Hyo. Ji Hyo’s leg went jelly, she leaned against the wall opposite the door of her room and fell down sitting on the floor.

“Ji Hyo!” Gary ran out of his room, forgetting he has only his underwear on. He tried to help Ji Hyo to stand up on her feet when Ji Hyo scream again.

“Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, WHO ARE YOU? WHY ARE YOU ? DON’T TOUCH ME!!!” Ji Hyo closed her eyes and start hitting Gary.

“Ji Hyo, Ji Hyo, calm down. Is Gary oppa. Is Me…..” Gary tried to press Ji Hyo against the wall to calm her down

“Is me. I am KANG GARY.” Ji Hyo finally opened her eyes when she heard Gary’s name.

“Oppa? Gary Oppa?” Gary’s face was just a few inches away from Ji Hyo.

“Opp….OPPA. Cockroach….Cockroach.” Ji Hyo cling onto Gary tightly, pressing herself against Gary’s body. Her hands on Gary’s back, her bosom rubbing against Gary’s chest. Gary could feel Ji Hyo’s s against his bare chest since Ji Hyo was wearing a very thin pajamas dress and Gary was .

Gary felt a fire burning in him. His body temperature shot up, his blood started to boil, his face and ears flushed red.

“OK, Ji Hyo. Cool it, cool it. Let me check.” Ji Hyo hide herself behind Gary, clinging to his arms.

“Oppa, is there, is there.” Gary took a mineral water bottle from the coffee table and hit on the insect.

“DEAD!!” Gary yelled excitedly.

“Don’t come near me…go away.” Gary pretend to show Ji Hyo the dead body of the insect, trying to .

Ji Hyo kept stepping back till she stepped on the Soju bottle on the floor.

“Yah!” Ji Hyo fell backwards. Gary immediately stretched out his hands to hold Ji Hyo. But both landed on bed.

Gary breathing became fast and heavy as he stared hungrily at the woman, his Monday girlfriend, his goodness who was now lying under his body.

Ji Hyo looked at her Monday boyfriend with shy and timid eyes. She can sense the desire burning in Gary. His body was extremely warm. Ji Hyo’s heartbeat went wild, her face, ears and neck went red.

Gary lowered his face to Ji Hyo, he wanted to taste those pink and delicious lips. As their lip about to touch, a bag of potato chips was slashed onto Gary’s head. Ji Hyo got hold of a bag of chips from the bedside table and mashed it on Gary.

“Kang Gary, what do you think you are doing? Go back to your room and get dressed.” Ji Hyo pushed Gary off from the bed, she kept bashing the bag of potato chips on Gary’s body. She pushed Gary out of her room, banging the door closed, leaving Gary staring at the closed door blankly.

Gary waited outside Ji Hyo’s room for 20 minuutes when Ji Hyo came out of the room carrying her luggage.

“ Ji Hyo, where are you going? Are you moving out because of me? If yes, let me move out instead.” Gary asked.

“Oppa, what are you talking about? I am moving out because of the cockroach not you. Do you think I want to continue staying in this room when I had seen the cockroach moving around?” Ji Hyo said.

“But Ji Hyo, there are not many hotels and guesthouse around here. When I checked in last night, many of these are already full. Why not you just get housekeeping to clean up the room.” Gary tried to convince Ji Hyo to stay.

“Oppa, I can’t. Once I closed my eyes, I feel that there is an army of cockroaches coming my way.” Ji Hyo shivered at the thoughts.

“How about I change the room with you. My room, no cockroaches. I stayed up the whole night and see no cockroach, no bugs, no insects.” Gary offered his room to Ji Hyo.

“Oppa, is it Ok with you?” Ji Hyo hesitated.

“Of course is Ok with me. Remember? I killed that cockroach just now and save your life.” Gary smiled, pretending to hammer his fist on the floor.

Ji Hyo laughed watching Gary and is ‘hero’ pose. “Ya, Oppa, catching and killing an insect with only your underwear on.” Ji Hyo mocked at Gary.

The scene of Gary leaning on top of Ji Hyo that happens less than an hour ago surfaced in both their minds. The air suddenly got frozen.

“Let me help you to bring your things to my room, while I packed mine. After that we can go for lunch. You will buy me lunch because I saved your life.” Gary tried to break the ice with a silly smile.

Gary and Ji Hyo had lunch together. Gary explained that he needed a quiet place to work on his album and need inspirations on his lyrics, that's why he stayed behind after the RM filming. Ji Hyo just said that she has a few days off, she likes this quiet and peaceful province. That's why she chose to stay for a short get away. 

Gary wanted to ask Ji Hyo why she did not get her CEO boyfriend to accompany her. But he swallowed his words back. "Forget about that CEO. Just enjoy myself with a co-worker. I mean a friend, a colleague." Gary persuaded himself that he has no hidden agenda. He and Ji Hyo happened to meet in this province and as an oppa, is just normal to take care of his dongsaeng.

"No hidden agendas, no guilt. She is my dongsaeng. I am just taking care of a dongsaeng." The thoughts slowly fades as the two toured around the province, taking photos of each other, selfies and sceneries. For a few seconds, Gary would be concerned that he was too closed to Ji Hyo since after all Ji Hyo does have a boyfriend. But as the laughter, jokes and harmony filled the air, Gary could not stop smiling. The skin ships made Gary felt that Ji Hyo is his woman and not someone's girlfiend. 

“Just today, just today. After today, all will things will be back in place. I lead my single life and Ji Hyo goes back to her boyfriend. God, please forgive me. I promised, just today.” Gary prayed that the day will never end.