Trust and Doubts (I)

She is not my dongsaeng

It was supposed to be a date to celebrate their one year anniversary as a couple. But they ended up in a fight. They always end up in a fight when it comes to the subject of when they should announce their relationship to the public.

Gary first brought up the subject of whether they should announced their relationship to the public upon the sixth month into their relationship but because of Baek Chang Ju, Ji Hyo proposed to push the matter to another time. She did not want the CEO of her agency to look bad.

2 months later, when Gary asked if they should tell the RM members about them, Ji Hyo hesitated but finally agreed to let Jae Suk, Suk Jin, Haha and the PDs know. Upon the ninth month, Jong Kok and Kwang Soo were also aware. Jong Kok warned the couple that they should be professional on the show even when one day they break off from the relationship.

By the tenth month, Gary brought up the subject of meeting Ji Hyo’s parents and his parents. Ji Hyo did visit Gary’s parents in his hometown and Gary’s parents are happy with her. But when it comes to visiting Ji Hyo’s parents, Ji Hyo would always say that her parents were busy or her parents were out of town or her own schedule is too busy. Gary felt that Ji Hyo did not want him to meet her parents.

Tonight, after their home cooked dinner, Gary and Ji Hyo cuddled on the sofa, ready to watch a movie when Gary brought up the issue of announcing their relationship and meeting Ji Hyo’s parents again.

 “Oppa, do you really think is a good ideal to tell the whole world that we are dating?” Ji Hyo asked while she ran through the movie titles. “Oppa, which movie you want to watch? Thriller? Romance? Comedy?”

“Ji Hyo ar……I am sure the whole world will give us their blessings once we announced our relationship. Many fans wanted us to be together.” Gary urged.

“But Oppa, it will be embarrassing if you or I get paired up with the female and male guests in Running Man. And…and…what if it does not work out between us? What will happen to Running Man. We can’t ruined the whole show and everybody’s hard work.” Ji Hyo tried to explain her point of view.

“Ji Hyo, many actresses and actors were married and yet they get paired up with people of the opposite during their drama filming. I don’t see what maybe the problem?” Gary s his hands on Ji Hyo’s waist.

“Also, I had already bring you home to meet my parents.” Gary rested his chin on Ji Hyo’s shoulders

“Oppa, let’s talk about this later.” Ji Hyo pressed the PLAY button to start the movie.

“No, Ji Hyo, let’s get this straight.” Gary took the remote control from Ji Hyo, he turned off the TV.

“Oppa, is it really so important to let the world knows about us?” Ji Hyo stared blankly at the TV screen which was now in black.

“Is it still because of your CEO, that’s why you do not want to reveal our relationship? That’s why you refused to bring me home to meet your parents? Tell me, your heart still flutters when you see your CEO?” Gary frowned. He suddenly felt defeated.

“Kang Gary, what are you trying to say?” Ji Hyo was initially taken aback with Gary’s confrontations. But as Ji Hyo started to digest Gary’s words, she bite her lips in frustration,  the muscles on her face tighten.

Ji Hyo shoved Gary’s hands off her waist. “I don’t want to discuss this anymore. I can’t help it if you are suspicious about my relationship with CEO Baek. I can’t help it if you don’t trust me.” Ji Hyo replied coldly.

“Ji Hyo, I am sorry. I don’t mean….”Gary realized that he had overdo things.

Ji Hyo looked up to Gary, there was tears gathering in her big and innocent eyes. The more Gary looked at Ji Hyo, the more guilt he felt.

“I am sorry, Oppa is sorry. Forget about what I had said. Let’s watch the movie.” Gary quickly picked up the remote control to turn on the TV.

The couple watched the movie quietly, each taking the corners of the 3 seaters sofa. Though it was a comedy, none of them laughed. Gary dozed off half way through the movie. Ji Hyo did not finish the movie either. After Gary dozed off, she returned to her bedroom quietly. Tears rolled down Ji Hyo’s cheeks as she closed her eyes.


Interactions between Gary and Ji Hyo were kept at the minimum for the rest of the week. Ji Hyo did not have much time to think about the troubles she had in her relationship since she was fully focused on her drama filming. Working day and night had exhausted Ji Hyo, dark eye rings and eye bags can be seen under her eyes. She lost her appetite at times due to fatigue. She can fell asleep at any place at any time.

Gary was worried for Ji Hyo. He wanted a talk with Tae Han, he wanted to ask Ji Hyo’s agency to give her enough rest. But he hovered over his ideal and finally withdraw the thoughts, as he knew that Ji hyo does not like people poking into her business, especially boyfriend.

It took Gary 1 entire week to apologise and sweet talk Ji Hyo, before Ji Hyo was willing to talk to him again. 

"Woman....so petty." Gary would joke with Haha and Gil about it. But in his heart, he knew that it was his fault. He shouldn't had doubt Ji Hyo.


Ji Hyo bowed at Baek Chang Ju as he dropped her at the carpark of her apartment.

“CEO Baek, thank you for the help. I really appreciate your kindness.” Ji Hyo said sincerely.

“Ji Hyo, no worries. You know I will always lend a helping hand when you need one. And….you can just address me as Chang Ju Oppa when we are not in the office.” Baek Chang Ju said.

“I missed the way you address me as Chang Ju oppa.” Baek Chang Ju whispered softly. He attempted to take Ji Hyo’s hand into his.

“CEO Baek. Thanks for the ride home. Is getting late, please drive carefully and get home safely.” Ji Hyo bowed again, she quicken her pace, walked towards the lift lobby.

Ji Hyo came home to see that her dining table was fully filled with food and energy drinks. There was a note on the table.

“Ji Hyo honey, I know you are still mad at me but please take care of yourself. Finish up the food and take the energy drink daily. Love and kisses, your Gary Oppa.”

Ji Hyo smiled as she sees the food and note. “He knows the way to my heart. Sweet words and tasty food.”


Ji Hyo rushed to the X Café at Gangnam district after the RM filming. She only have 2 hours. She needed to be at the drama filming set by 11 pm. Gary was surprised that Ji Hyo was gone when he finished changing. He planned to have supper with Ji Hyo and send her to the drama set. He even asked Tae Han to go home first so that he can have some pirvate time with Ji Hyo.

“Ji Hyo, where are you?” Gary called Ji Hyo.

“Oppa, something came up. I need to meet up with En Na.” Ji Hyo replied.

“En Na? What does she want from you?” Gary got worried. Seems En Na wanted to come back to work for Ji Hyo since her boyfriend who joined the boy band did not manage to make it big. The entertainment company halt the contract. Both En Na and the boyfriend were deeply in debts as they had overdraft their credit cards.

En Na needed a job to pay off the debts. But Ji Hyo already had Tae Han who had been taking very good care of her. To Ji Hyo, Tae Han is not just a personal assistant, he is also a good friend. Recently he had started to help Ji Hyo to plan her career moves, shortlisting jobs for her.

Ji Hyo had ever asked if Gary’s Leessang company needed ant helpers. But Gary does not really like En Na. He felt that she had once betrayed Ji Hyo, and would do it for another time regardless who the boss is.

“Ji Hyo, she is old enough to take care of herself and find a job. Also, as you know, in the Leessang Company. One person wear a few hats, the person can be a secretary, at the same time he writes lyrics and music or even help with the recording. She doesn’t have the kind of criteria we are looking for.” Gary analyzed the situation to Ji Hyo.

“Oppa, I understand. Don’t worry.” Ji Hyo laid her head on Gary’s shoulders. She turn and toss in her bed that night, trying to think how she can help En Na.

“Ji Hyo, is only En Na right? Why not you tell me where you gals are meeting. I can come to find you.” Gary suggested and Ji Hyo agreed.

Gary sat opposite Baek Chang Ju in the café. He did not expect that besides En Na, Ji Hyo’s ex boyfriend was there too.

Ji Hyo actually seek help from Baek Chang Ju after Gary turned down the ideal of recruiting En Na. Baek Chang Ju’s company needed someone to replace the office girl who had just left, so he agreed to take En Na. He knew that Ji Hyo treated En Na like her own sister. He hoped that by doing Ji Hyo a favour, he can get closer to her.

“I drove En Na here since she says she wanted to give you a surprise by buying you supper.” Baek Chang Ju explained.

“Yes, unnie. I requested to prorate my salary for 3 months, so I can at least pay parts of my debt. CEO Baek is the one who approved the request. To express my gratefulness, I wanted to buy both of you supper.” En Na beamed at Baek Chang Ju and Ji Hyo.

Gary was observing everything from the corner of his eyes. Though he always trusted people easily, he felt that something was fishy. Gary thinks that En Na and Baek Chang Ju had ganged up together.

“I must be thinking too much or watching too many movies with Ji Hyo.”  Gary tried to ignore these ‘unfriendly’ thoughts he had.

“And what is Gary Ssi doing here.” En Na pointed at Gary.

“En Na, Kang Gary is my boyfriend.” Ji Hyo blushed as she said that. It was now Gary’s turn to beam.