Men with Tattoos will not bring you Happiness

She is not my dongsaeng

“What is happening?” Ji Hyo screamed in her heart. It was her beloved aunt’s 60 years old birthday gathering at her home town. Ji Hyo went home for the happy occasion, of course, Gary gets to come along since he was personally invited by Ji Hyo’s mother.

But Ji Hyo was totally surprised when she sees Baek Chang Ju also at the family gathering. Gary wasn’t too happy either initially. But he understood that it was not Ji Hyo’s intention to invite her ex boyfriend,  and this is his first time meeting Ji Hyo’s family formally. So as much as possible, Gary tried to be forgiving and thoughtful towards the situation.

Ji Hyo was now sat between Gary and Baek Chang Ju at the long rectangular table. Gary was on her left and Baek Chang Ju on her right. Her plate was fully filled with food as the 2 men kept scooping meat and vegetables onto Ji Hyo’s plate. Ji Hyo in return scoped these to her mother’s plate who is sitting opposite her.

Ji Hyo’s father kept pouring soju for Gary and Baek Chang Ju.

“Appa, enough enough. Ceo Baek needs to drive home later.” Ji Hyo tried to stop the drinking.

“Ji Hyo, no worries, I can get my driver to come to fetch me.” Baek Chang Ju said.

“How about Gae Ssi, you don’t need to drive home, do you? You can drink more.” Ji Hyo’s appa poured another glass of rice wine for Gary.

“Gary Ssi, you not going home tonight?” One of Ji Hyo’s relatives asked.

Gary blushed slightly, not knowing what to reply.

“Gary is staying at my place tonight. My umma had prepared the guest room, which is the living room for him.” Ji Hyo laughed.

“That’s good enough.” Gary looked at Ji Hyo. His eyes filled with love, appreciation and affection.

“I knew it! Monday Couple is REAL!” Some of Ji Hyo’s younger cousins chatted.

Baek Chang Ju face sank as he heard the conversations.

“That En Na. She should have informed me earlier of this occasion. At least I can bring some gifts to buy over these relatives of Ji Hyo and made them on my side.” Baek Chang Ju drank another bottle of soju with slender frustrations.

“CEO Baek. Is everything OK? Please eat more food.” Ji Hyo asked Baek Chang Ju with concerns.  Baek Chang Ju was happy that at least Ji Hyo showered him care.


Gary and Ji Hyo went for a stroll at the nearby beach after the dinner. The light waves were hitting the shores, the light breeze was gentle  and comforting, the sand glitter under the dim moonlight.

“Are you feeling cold?” Gary pulled Ji Hyo closer to him as they walked. 

“Oppa, thank you for coming home with me.” Ji Hyo looked at Gary sincerely.

“Ji Hyo…..I should be the one who is thankful.” Gary responded with a shy smile.

“Oppa, I am sorry that you have to cover up your tattoos.” Ji Hyo touched Gary’s arms. Gary was wearing a long sleeve blue denim shirt. Inside the shirt, he wore another long sleeve T-shirt in case his tattoos are exposed when he accidentally pull up his sleeves. Gary was glad that the weather was not too warm this evening, otherwise he would be sweating like a running tap.

“Also, I am sorry that CEO Baek is also invited. I didn't know that he will be here and I have no idea who had invited him.” Ji Hyo continued with her apologies.

"Ji Hyo, I am jealous." Gary pretended to pull a long face. "You are so attentive to CEO Baek during the dinner." 

"Oppa....don't be naive. He is guest and you are...you are....family." Ji Hyo and Gary sat down on the sands. Ji Hyo rested her head on Gary's shoulders while Gary put his hand inside Ji Hyo's jacket and held her by her waist. 

"I am family...family...what kind of family." Gary asked with a playful smile on his face.

"Family...." Ji Hyo quickly lifted up her face and planted a kiss on Gary's lips.

"Sweet……but you have not answered my question. What kind of family am I?” Gary now facing Ji Hyo, glazing into her eyes.

“Yeobo? I am your yeobo? Yeobo is part of the family, isn't it?" Gary teased Ji Hyo. Ji Hyo blushed immediately. “Kang Gary, you are so thick skinned.” Ji Hyo laughed.

“Ji Hyo, Am just worried. How long I can hide my tattoos. You know I do have plans to get more tattoos. That’s the way I express myself as a rapper and a musician.” Gary said as he stared at the sea.

“I understand. Am not stopping you from getting more tattoos. I love you as Kang Gary. I love you as who you are.” Ji Hyo mumbled softly.

“Did I hear someone saying she loves Kang Gary?” Gary raised his eye browns. He immediately planted a kiss on Ji Hyo’s lips.

“Yah! Kang Gary, what if my relatives see us.” Ji Hyo hit Gary on his arms.

“You started the kissing first. Baby, is so dark. No one sees us.” Gary pecked another kiss on Ji Hyo’s cheeks playfully. The couple ended up with a long and passionate kiss under the moonlight. The kiss was sweet for Gary and Ji Hyo but it was a pain in the heart for Baek Chang Ju who was stalking behind the couple. He lied that his driver had come to fetch him but in fact it was an excuse for him to get out of the restaurant to stalk on Gary and Ji Hyo whenhe saw them going out for a stroll.

"Ji Hyo, why are you making me suffer?" Baek Chang Ju said to himself sadly. Deep inside his heart, he knew that chances are slim that Ji Hyo will come back to him. But the agressive side of his character told him that he should not lose to a normal and ugly guy like Kang Gary. 

Baek Chang Ju clenched his fist as he watched the sweet interactions between Gary and Ji Hyo.


“Seong-im, his tattoos were covering almost his whole arm. Men with tattoos will not bring you happiness.” Ji Hyo was sitting in the living room of his parent’s house. Her father finally found out about Gary’s tattoos 3 weeks after Gary had meet her parents. Someone had mailed a photo to her father. It was a photo of Gary performing on the stage, his tattoos were exposed. Ji Hyo thought that Gary looked cool and handsome in the photo.

Ji Hyo's father blowed his top after seeing the photo. He told Ji Hyo's sister to get her home.

“Appa, you said Gary Oppa is a good guy didn’t you?” Ji Hyo questioned.

“Yes, I did say that but I did not know he has so many tattoos.” Ji Hyo’s father replied.

“Tattoos have nothing to do with whether the person is a good or bad guy.” Ji Hyo tried to convince her father.

“Seong-im, do you remember how you had suffered during your childhood? If that tattoo uncle had not ran away with my money, you and your sister would have a better life.” Ji Hyo’s father raised his voice.

“Appa, your hatred for uncle tattoo. Let it be forgotten. Leave it behind with the past. He came back years later to pay you back the money didn’t he? And is uncle tattoo who ran away with the money not Gary.” Ji Hyo tried to reason with her appa. She was upset that her father has responded so severely towards Gary’s tattoo though she knew that sooner or later, he will know about it.

“This Gae guy, he must have a bad history. Can’t you just listen to appa for once? There are other men, other options for you. Why this Gae guy? Chang Ju is good also. At least no tattoos.” Ji Hyo’s father said.

“Appa, don’t you know that CEO Baek had a history also? Is a bad one indeed. He was put behind bars for black mailing his artists previously.” Ji Hyo’s sister who was witnessing the whole incident couldn’t hold it anymore.

“I thought Gary Ssi is a nice guy. He waited on unnie for almost 4 years. He has his own company and restaurants. He is a musician and a rapper, talented, humourous and caring. I thought he is the right guy for unnie and unnie loves him.” Ji Hyo’s sister chipped in her share of thoughts.

“Just keept quiet and listen. I am talking to your sister.” Ji Hyo’s appa glared at her sister.

“Girl….I am telling you this because I am your Appa. Your choices in men aren’t good. Remember the first guy you brought back to meet us? I told you he is not good enough for you. True enough, years after the breakup, he ended up taking drugs. He lost his career and reputation to drugs. I knew about Chang Ju’s history, people around here gossip about him when you brought him back. But his is the CEO of your agency, he can help you in your career. And this Gae Ssi, can he help you in his career? Can his tattoos do good for you?.” Ji Hyo’s app continued to nag.

“Old man….enough. Give Seong-im a break. She is old enough to handle her own business. At least Gae Ssi is a down to earth person.” Ji Hyo’s mother finally opened to say something. Though she was busy cooking in the kitchen, she was listening to the on going conversations.


Ji Hyo sat at the platform infront of her parent’s house staring at Gary’s photo.

“Who would send Appa this photo.” Ji Hyo frowned as questions surfaced in her mind. She looked at the envelope which was send together with the photo.  The address was handwritten

“This kind of envelope looks familiar and the handwriting, seems I had seen it somewhere……” Ji Hyo’s thoughts were snapped when someone caressed her shoulders. It was her umma.

“Seong-im, is getting late, you should drive back soon.” Ji Hyo’s mum said.

“Umma, no worries. I don't need to wake up early tomorrow.” Ji Hyo said.

“I never know you will set your eyes on such a….such a….normal looking guy.” Ji Hyo’s mother laughed.

“Umma, I know…he is ugly, isn’t he.” Ji Hyo smiled, there was a tint of shine in her eyes.

“Seong-im, I know how you felt about Gae Ssi. Give your appa some time, he will get over it. ” Ji Hyo’s umma caressed Ji Hyo’s back gently.

"Umma, what do you think about Gary Oppa?" Ji Hyo asked.

"Ugly....." Ji Hyo's mother joked. Ji Hyo giggled like a little girl.

"Seong-im, umma is happy as long as you are happy." Ji Hyo's mother comtinued to caressed Ji Hyo's back. Soon Ji Hyo felt asleep in her mother's arms like a little baby.