Time Will Make Me Forget HER

She is not my dongsaeng

 

As much as Gary wanted to clarify things with Ji Hyo, he had to wrap up with his father’s wake and wait till his father’s cremation ceremony is done and finished. However, he did ask Ha Ha to check with Kwang Soo on Ji Hyo’s and the boy’s whereabouts.

“Hyung, I really do not know where is Ji Hyo noona. Tae Han Ssi is the one who contacted me to meet up with noona outside the casket hall. I am as surprised as you and Gary Hyung when I see Hwan Gun. I thought he does resembles Gary hyung. But I don’t dare to ask anything. You  know, Ji Hyo noona can be fierce at times.” Kwang Soo tried hard to explain and prove that he was not aware of what is happening.

“Then why did you stop Gary hyung when he chased after Ji Hyo.” Ha Ha was not satisfy with Kwang Soo’s reasoning.

“Because Ji Hyo noona asked me to. She said she cannot let Gary hyung see her. She said I need to help and protect her and the boy. I agreed. I need to honour my words, she is MY NOONA.” Kwang Soo replied with a determined tone.


Gary felt into a deep, deep sleep after his father’s cremation ceremony. He was completely exhausted, physically and mentally.

Even since his father had passed away, Gary had to put up a strong front since he knew that his mother and his sister needed his support. And as the son in the family, he has to lead his family to through such sad times. And when Ji Hyo came with the boy, is like someone added another stone to his already drained and heavy heart.

Gary slept for 2 full days.

“Gary, we almost send you to the hospital. We thought you went into a coma.” Gil was glad that Gary finally walked out of his bedroom, rubbing his eyes and stretching his body.

“Is time for me to wake up, I have a lot of things to do.” Gary munched on his breakfast hungrily.

Gary went to collect his father’s ashes and went back to his parents’ house to visit his mother and sister. Gary’s mother had decided to move in with Gary’s sister and her husband so that she will not feel lonely. And of course, his mother would never forget to nag at Gary, telling him to find his love and happiness soon.

After lunch at his parents’ place, he drove to Kwang Soo’s place. Gary wanted to hear from Kwang Soo on how Ji Hyo had contacted him and how much he knew about Ji Hyo and the boy. Unfortunately, Kwang Soo’s manager told him that Kwang Soo has left Seoul yesterday for an assignment in Shanghai.

“Maybe, I should call Tae Han directly. That will be much easier.” Gary mumbled to himself.

“No one pick up.” Gary started scratching his head. For a moment, he was lost.

Gary went back to his apartment after having dinner with Gil and Sam in his restaurant. It was already 1 am. Running Man was replaying on the late night channels. Sweet memories of the Monday Couple brought a smile on Gary’s face.

As the show ended, thoughts started to surface in Gary’s mind.

“Did I ever spare a thought for Ji Hyo? She is already married to Mr Big. What if that boy named Hwan Gun is actually Mr Big’s son? The boy and myself do look alike, but no one has seen Mr Big before. Perhaps Mr Big and myself look alike too? Mine is a common face.” Gary tried to reason with his inner thoughts.

“If….If….Hwan Gun is actually Mr Big’s son, then it will be embarrassing for both Ji Hyo and me. I may have messed up her family life…….” Gary stood by the windows, continue to sink into deep thoughts. He hoped that the night breeze can help him to clear his mind.

“But….but….BUT…..the boy addressed my Appa as Grandpa….Grandpa…If Appa is his grandpa….then I ……I….I am….am….the boy’s APPA. YAH! I AM SO CONFUSED!!” Gary finally vent out his frustration by screaming out loud.

“YAH…..is 1:30 am in the morning. Keep IT LOW!” Gary’s neighbor shouted.

“Oh…Sorry…I am Sorry…” Gary wanted to apologise by shouting back. But he held back his voice.

“Stressed.….yes…is getting late.  Let me think again tomorrow. Maybe I can analysis the situation better after having some good sleep.” Gary threw himself on his bed. He just sprayed his blanket and pillow with Ji Hyo’s favourite perfume this morning when he woke up.

Gary tossed and turn in bed. He is weary and tired but he couldn’t sleep.

“Sam said I slept for 48 hours. Maybe I sleep too much and now I couldn’t sleep anymore.” Gary sat up and switched on the bedside lamps. He took out his ipad, unknowingly he opened his ‘Mong Ji’ folder and started to swipe through Ji Hyo’s pictures. These pictures, some were taken by Gary when they were dating, some are from the official release of Ji Hyo’s agency and some are RM’s photos.

“What if Hwan Gun is really my own blood and ties? Does Mr Big knows? If I go to Ji Hyo for answers and Mr Big came to know about it. Will I be damaging Ji Hyo’s reputation and her marriage? She looked good when I saw her the other day. She must be enjoying her marriage with Mr Big. So …..will I be a burden to her. Will I put her in a difficult spot? But is Hwan Gun is my son, then I should get Ji Hyo back. I should fight for my own happiness, shouldn't I?” Gary started thinking again.

“I cannot be a selfish brat. I cannot only think about myself. STRESSED!” Gary sank back into his blanket again and buried his head into his pillow.


After lots of serious and careful thinking, and after spoken to Tae Han. Gary decided to give up on finding the answers that he need.

“Gary Ssi…..Ji Hyo is doing very well now. She has a loving husband who dote on her and their son. They are planning for the second child. You may think that Hwan Gun looks a bit like you. But as you know, Mr Big actually has some Chinese and Korean ties. His grandma is Chinese and Korean mixed, and Ji Hyo is Korean. So the child has some Korean looks. And all young children looks the same.” Tae Han explained.

“Gary Ssi…please do leave Ji Hyo alone. Your intentions to contact her maybe good, a friendly intention but you never know what kind of misunderstanding you may cause between her and Mr Big.” Tae Han wanted Gary to commit that he will not contact Ji Hyo for any reasons.

“Tae Han Ssi. I understand. Thank you for telling me that Ji Hyo is doing good and living well. I am happy and glad to hear that.” Gary decided not to persuade the matter anymore.

“As long as Ji Hyo is happy, I am happy. Is not easy to forget her, but I will try. Is just my wildest dream to think that Hwan Gun is our son and I can get her back and live happily ever after as a family. Is time for me to wake up.” Gary laughed at himself. He teared bitterly.

Gary cried and sobbed for the entire night. All the stress that he had went through dissolved into tears. Gary never remembered that he had cried so much.

The exhaustion of taking care of his father when he fell sick. The sad memories of breaking up with Ji Hyo.  The stress of having to marry a woman that he likes but not love. The guiltiness of facing Min Jung. The heart breaking experience of losing his father. The heart wrenching fact that he had lost Ji Hyo to another man forever.

“Kang Gary, cry, cry louder. Let all the unhappiness, stress and sad memories be washed away. Tomorrow, you are a new man.”

Gary took all the courage he had, he deleted all the photos he had in the ‘Mong Ji’ folder. He threw away the perfume, the scent that reminded him about Ji Hyo. He changed all his bedsheets to new ones.

Though he had cleared all traces of Ji Hyo in his daily life, there was one thing that Gary couldn’t erase, is the Mongji honey. This ‘Mong’ lemon honey which was based on Gary’s recipe, his recipe for Ji Hyo was actually mass produced by the Bees and Honey farm. The farm was bought over by Gary when the owner, Mr Nam Dong was stuck with cash flow problems.

Gary felt sorry for closing down such a beautiful farm. He failed to convince the stakeholders of Leessang company to buy over the business. So, he bought the farm under his own name instead and leave it to Mr Nam Dong to run it. To show his gratefulness, Mr Nam Dong and his wife worked extreme hard to repay Gary. The ‘Mong’ lemon honey is one of the product that Mr Nam Dong put in good efforts to market.

Mr Nam Dong marketed the Lemon Honey with a romantic love story. Honey from a man to a woman he loves. Love is composed of sweetness and sourness. Sweet - When he is with her. Sour – when they are distanced in foreignlands. Of course, Mr Nam Dong did not reveal that this is Gary’s true story.

 Gary knew that this woman still stays in his heart. Some place in his heart that he knew that has to lock it. 

"Time will make me forget her." Gary looked into the mirror and tells himself.