Only In My Dreams

She is not my dongsaeng

Gary had been making regular trips to Busan on every Friday afternoon and spend the weekend with Ji Hyo even when Ji Hyo was busy with her filming. Ji Hyo will only be staying in Busan for 5 weeks for her filming

“Oppa, this is too tiring for you. You are always on the last flight back to Seoul on Sunday night and filming is early in the morning on the following day.” Ji Hyo felt bad to see the exhausted Gary.

“As long as I get to see you, I am not tired at all.” Gary said.

“How about all those weekend performances?” Ji Hyo heard from Sam that Gary had rejected all performances during the weekends.

“If they can wait, they will wait. Ji Hyo, we only have 3 weeks left. I only get to spend time with you for another 3 weekends, after that you are flying back to Beijing to continue your filming. I am starting to miss you.” Gary buried his face into Ji Hyo’s chest.

“Ji Hyo, I am waiting patiently for you to come back to Seoul. After you are done with this movie, do an assignment in Seoul so I get to see you every day.” Gary whispered his wishes to Ji Hyo as he kissed her on her neck and shoulders.

Ji Hyo smiled bitterly without answering.


It was another weekend in Busan. Gary was waiting patiently in Ji Hyo’s room while she was busy filming.

“Gary Ssi, Ji Hyo asked me to bring you lunch.” Tae Han came with packets of food and an overnight bag in his hands.

While Gary was eating, Tae Han went to Ji Hyo’s wardrobe and dig out some towels and swim wear. Gary stared at the pink swim wear

“The writer suddenly added an additional scene. Ji Hyo has to  film a scene where she is swimming in the pool with the male lead.” Tae Han explained.

“The swim wear proposed by the crew is a bit too revealing. So Ji Hyo and I had suggested using our own swim wear but I guess if I bring in a black one, the director may not accept it.” Tae Han continued to comb throw Ji Hyo’s wardrobe to look for another swim wear with a brighter color.

“Well, looks like this is the only one.” Tae Han held up the swim wear to take a closer look at it.

“This…this one…..” Gary pointed at the back of the swim wear. The back was designed with a deep V. “This is not too revealing?” Gary asked.

“This swim wear is from the famous Victoria Secrets. They gave it to Ji Hyo as a gift few months ago when Ji Hyo attended their event in Bangkok. Ji Hyo never wore it before. But I guess thi sis better than the one they wanted Ji Hyo to wear. Is a 2 piece swim wear, the V….deep one is at the front.” Tae Han pointed at his own chest.

“Can’t Ji Hyo reject the scene?” Gary asked.

“If we are in Seoul, perhaps. But ......  Gary Ssi, I hope you are treating our Ji Hyo good. She is doing all these because of you” Tae Han sighed.

“What do you mean?” Gary stared at Tae Han blankly.

“You asked Ji Hyo yourself. Otherwise she will blame me. I need to get going.” Tae Han left Gary in a total daze.


Gary went back to Seoul and get his crew to check on what Ji Hyo was trying to hide from him.

He couldn’t believe that Ji Hyo had agreed to leave the entertainment industry in Seoul just to protect him.

“But she joined us for RM filming. Does that mean the ban from her previous company is lifted?” Gary asked.

“Nope. Ji Hyo was not paid for the last RM filming. Her manager thought that this is OK as long as no money was involved. But as I know from the sources, Ji Hyo was issued with a lawyer letter from Baek Chang Ju’s company. She is still banned from Seoul for another 6 months. But even if she makes a comeback 6 months later, with Baek’s power in the entertainment industry now. Am not sure if the other production companies would want to cast Ji Hyo. You know….to avoid troubles.” Sam told Gary.

“Bloody Hell. Baek Chang Ju!” The frustrated Gary hit his fist into the wall.


True enough, even after the ban was lifted upon Ji Hyo. Tae Han did not have plans for Ji Hyo to return to the entertainment industry in Seoul.

“Ji Hyo, you had already made your name in the entertainment industry in Asia. It will be a pity for you to give up your efforts to return to Seoul. Also, the ban is just lifted, many of the production companies had hesitations when they heard your name.” Tae Han explained to both Gary and Ji Hyo.

“Let’s wait for another 6 months to 1 year before deciding our next step.” That’s what was planned for Ji Hyo’s career moves. Though Gary wasn’t happy with the decision, he understood that this was done at the best interests of Ji Hyo.


Gary and Ji Hyo continued their long distance relationship. Gary was the more flexible party since he only has 2 variety shows to commit to (Running Man and a music programme by MTV Asia focusing on hip hop music, Gary was one of the hosts.) The rest of his time, he can arrange to visit Ji Hyo in Hong Kong or Beijing and also work at his music and running his chain of restaurants.

At times, Gary would tell Ji Hyo to stop working so hard.

“Song Ji Hyo, you know…..my income is good enough for you to lead a comfortable life. You can have your 3 meals in any of my restaurants. You can go shopping once every week with my credit cards. If you are bored, you can come to my studio, listen to my recording or chat with my staffs. If these are not enough to occupy you, we can have a few kids. You can spend all your time taking care of them.” Gary said, winking at Ji Hyo.

“Wow…Kang Gary. So generous of you. Is that a proposal?” Ji Hyo blushed. To hide her embarrassment,  she teased Gary.

“If you say Yes, then is a proposal. Otherwise, just ignore me.” Gary replied shyly.

“Oppa, I know you care for me. But I still want to work hard for my career. I can’t let Tae Han down. He had went through a lot to bring me where I am today.” Ji Hyo apologized for her decision.


Gary’s father suffered a 2 months after Gary proposal was rejected by Ji Hyo.

Gary has to juggle work and taking care of his father. He was left with no time to visit Ji Hyo. Ji Hyo was also in the midst of filming a movie and a Taiwan drama. She has to spend Monday to Thursday in Hong Kong to film the movie and Friday to Sunday in Taiwan to work on the drama.

“Ji Hyo, please come and visit my father. He wanted very much to meet his son’s wife.” Gary had raised the request many times. But Ji Hyo couldn’t take any days off since the filming schedule for both the movie and the drama was delayed due to technical faults and weather conditions.

Gary needed much support from Ji Hyo at this time of his life. But Ji Hyo was not there. Instead Kim Min Jung was the one who provided Gary with care and support. She visited Gary’s father and his family often to offer comfort. Soon the whole of Gary’s family thinks that Min Jung is Gary’s girlfriend and the right girl as his wife.

“Hee Gun, get married soon. I am afraid I don’t have much time left to witness you starting a family.” Both Gary’s father and mother had often nagged at him.

Ever since Gary’s father health condition happened, Gary and Ji Hyo had often ended up fighting when they talked on the phone.

Gary felt frustrated and disappointed that Ji Hyo is not able to give him the support and comfort that his family needed and that he had longed for.

Ji Hyo was jealous that it was always Kim Min Jung who was by Gary’s side. She was jealous that Gary’s parents were all thinking that Min Jung is their daughter-in-law, reacting to Ji Hyo coldly whenever Ji Hyo called to offer her comfort. But Ji Hyo thinks that all these are her fault. So as much as possible, she tried to control her temper and avoid clashes with Gary.

As times go by, the couple felt tired. Their hearts shattered after every fight and every call. The daily calls became weekly calls and finally they only talked once a month.


“There is no point holding on to each other anymore.” 3 months later. Gary and Ji Hyo decided to end their relationship.

Shortly after that, the media reported that Gary and Min Jung announced their wedding which will be taking place in 3 weeks’ times. Many said that Gary did that out of filialness. He hoped that a wedding can help to make his father happy and improve his health conditions.

Ji Hyo cried her heart and her eyes out upon hearing the news. To forget about Gary, she worked herself to her limits by accepting numerous assignments around Asia.

Gary, on the other hand, though he wedded Min Jung. He only showed his affections when his father is around. On other occasions, he would treat Min Jung with absolute respects and politeness. Though they stayed in the same house, Gary would take the guest room or stayed overnight in his studio. He often apologize to Min Jung for treating her this way.

“Oppa, take your time. Soon, you will realise how much you love me.” Min Jung promised herself.

Haha and Jong Kok often scolded Gary for treating Min Jung badly.

“You choose to marry her. So behave like a man. Treat your wife like what a husband should be doing.” Haha told Gary off.

“My father wanted me to marry her. Min Jung is not against it even when I told her that my heart is not with her.” Gary gulped down half a bottle of beer.

“Still thinking of Ji Hyo?” Jong Kok sighed. “Kang Gary, your life is a mess!” Jong Kok hit Gary on his head.

“Yes…I am a mess…..I mess up my life…I mess up another woman’s life….I mess up my heart…..I mess up another woman’s life.” Gary started to rap. Soon he was dunk, felling into deep sleep.

In his dreams, he saw the woman he has always love, Song Ji Hyo.

"Only in my dreams....only in my dreams that we can be together." Gary screamed, his eyes closed but tears can be seen rolling down his cheeks.