Fighting For My Love

She is not my dongsaeng

Gary was smiling the whole night throughout his sleep. Ji Hyo was lying next to him on the bed. They held hands initially while sleeping. And when the sun shines through the curtains, Ji Hyo was already in Gary’s embrace. They were hugging each other gently.

“Oppa, is almost 9:30 am. Is time for you to wake up. Didn’t you say you want breakfast last night?” Ji Hyo shook Gary’s body as she climbed up from bed with her eyes closed and hair covering her face.

“I don’t want to wake up…..”Gary wailed like a little child. He grabbed Ji Hyo by her waist, ing his face into Ji Hyo’s flat tummy.

“Opp…Oppa….is ticklish.” Ji Hyo giggled.

“Then don’t ask me to wake up.” Gary mumble his words.

“Oppa….you need to leave by 11:30 am.” Ji Hyo pushed Gary off her. She went to Gary’s backpack and pull out a set of T-shirt and shorts.

“Oppa, go wash up.” Ji Hyo handed the clothes to Gary as he climbed out of bed reluctantly.

“Ji Hyo, where is my underwear?” Gary smirked.

“Yah! Kang Gary!” Ji Hyo blushed as she pushed Gary into the shower room.


“Ji Hyo, shall I fetch you from the bus terminal tonight?” Gary asked. Ji Hyo was scheduled to go back to Seoul by the 6 pm coach.

“Oppa, no need for the trouble. You have work to do. Tae Han will fetch me and drive me home.” Ji Hyo said.

“Will CEO Baek be there to fetch you also?” Gary asked, his tone was filled with jealousy and insecurity.

“We are over. I told you last night.” Ji Hyo punched Gary on his arm.

“Oppa, how about your bunch of girlfriends?” It was Ji Hyo’s turn to get jealous.

“Who?”Gary asked.

“Don’t pretend.” Ji Hyo punched Gary in the arm again.

“Ji Hyo, is all misunderstanding. That day, you saw me in the office with that girl. There was nothing between us. Nothing happened. Just coincidentally that she was lying besides me.” Gary tried to explain.

“How about those girls who came with you for RM filming.” Ji Hyo continued to ask.

“Those are university students who came to the Leessang Company as attachment students.” Gary kept explaining.

“Ji Hyo ar…..you know…..you are the answer for a guy like me.” Gary whispered.

“Can….can….can you …be….be….be my…..girl…..”Gary stammered as he looked lovingly into Ji Hyo’s eyes. Gary lowered his head closer to Ji Hyo as he stumbled with his words. He was about to press his lips on Ji Hyo’s, when Ji Hyo smacked his back telling him that the taxi that was fetching him to the bus terminal had arrived.

“Oppa, pali…get on the taxi. Don’t be late and missed your radio show. Go Go.” Gary was shoved into the taxi. He turned his head to watch Ji Hyo from the back seat window as the taxi drove off. His eyes were pinned on Ji Hyo till Ji Hyo became smaller and smaller in the distance and finally disappeared when the taxi made a left turn.

“Young man. You are going to break your neck if you continue to stare like that. Girl friend? ” The taxi driver teased Gary. Gary’s face went red, he smiled shyly.

"Not yet. But SOON." Gary replied. He knew that he will miss Ji Hyo desperately for the next few hours.


Gary broke into cold sweats as he listened to the news from the radio. A coach coming from the province that he has just visited was involved in an accident.

Gary had just finished attending the radio show with Gil. They were on the way to Haha’s restaurant for dinner when breaking news came through the radio.

Gary tried to keep calm, he tried to recall the time schedule for Ji Hyo’s trip to Seoul. But the more he tried to recall, the more scary things became. Ji Hyo was indeed on this coach which was involved in the accident just miles outside Seoul. Gary’s world started to spin when more news were released. There were 18 passengers on the coach. 4 were seriously injured, 1 suffered from a heart attack, the rest suffered from slight injuries with bruises and scratches.

“Ji Hyo, please tell me that you are safe.” Gary tried to dial Ji Hyo’s mobile number. His hands were shaking.

“Gary, calm down.” Gil tried his best to comfort his buddy though he was not sure why Gary suddenly looked pale and worried.

“No replies, there were no replies.” Gary lost his cool. Tears fell from his cheeks. After understanding what had happened, Gil got off the car and told Sam to drive Gary to the bus depot in Seoul to check for more information.


Tae Han and Baek Chang Ju were already at the bus depot when Gary and Sam arrived.

“Tae Han, check with them again for the news updates.” Baek Chang Ju repeated the statement every 1 minute to Tae Han. He was too, anxiously waiting for Ji Hyo’s news.

Gary approached Tae Han and Baek Chang Ju, he asked the two men for updates. BAek Chang Ju was surprised that Gary came.

“Tae Han, did you tell Gary Ssi about the news? How he knew Ji Hyo was on this coach. I did not even know and yet Gary Ssi knew?” Baek Chang Ju asked, his eyes were filled with frustrations and worries.

“Ceo Baek. I am not sure why Gary Ssi knew Ji Hyo’s whereabouts. I guess they communicated. Now what is important is to get hold of news about Ji Hyo.” Tae Han had no answers to Baek Chang Ju questions either.

The 4 guys waited at the bus depot for 1.5 hours, there were still no news of Ji Hyo. Baek Chang Ju was pacing up and down the corridors of the bus depot office while Gary buried his face into his palms praying for the safety of Ji Hyo. It was then both Tae Han’s and Gary’s phone beeps.

“Is Ji Hyo!” Both men chorus Ji Hyo’s name as they read from the text message.

“I am OK. I am at home.” This was the message from Ji Hyo.

The 4 men immediately ran to their cars and drove directly to Ji Hyo’s apartment.


Ji Hyo was in the arms of Baek Chang Ju when Gary reached Ji Hyo’s apartment. Tae Han who knew the routing to Ji Hyo’s apartment by heart, reached faster and earlier than Gary and Sam.

Gary was about to turn back into the lift when he saw Ji Hyo and Baek Chang Ju hugging when Sam pushed him forward.

“Hyung….giving up again?” Sam looked at Gary, wanting him to think twice.

“I should not let go. Ji Hyo did say she break off with Baek Chang Ju already.” Gary took a deep breath, he walked towards Ji Hyo.

Once Ji Hyo noticed that Gary was here, she broke off from Baek Chang Ju’s hug immediately.

“Ji Hyo, are you ok? Are you hurt?” Gary held onto both of Ji Hyo’s hands tightly.

“Oppa, I am OK. But you looked so tired.” Gary looked like he has aged years.

“I am so worried about you. That 1.5 hours at the bus depot is like 15 years to me.” Gary said. He touched Ji Hyo’s face passionately. Ji Hyo lowered her head and smiled shyly

“Ji Hyo, are we going to stand here talking?” Baek Chang Ju pulled Ji Hyo away from Gary. There was a confused, irritated and jealous look on his face. Baek Chang Ju put his arm on Ji Hyo’s waist to lead her into the apartment but Ji Hyo tactfully pushed his hand off, pretending to get drinks from the kitchen and walked away.

“Ji Hyo, let me help you.” Tae Han went to the kitchen with Ji Hyo.

“Tae Han, help me.” Ji Hyo whispered softly to Tae Han, her eyes were pleading.

“Ji Hyo, tell me what happened.” Gary said. The two men, Kang Gary and Baek Chang Ju were now taking corners of the 3 seaters sofa in Ji Hyo’s loving room. Ji Hyo sat on the chair she brought in from the dining room. Sam stood behind Gary while Tae Han stood besides Ji Hyo.

“I met my high school teacher this afternoon at the province. She came with a group of high school girls for a field excursion. I joined them for the fun and followed their private coach back to Seoul around 4 pm. By the time I came back, I was so tired that I fell asleep.” Ji Hyo explained.

“By the time I wake up, I saw so many messages on my phone about the accident. I am sorry to make you guys worried.” Ji Hyo stood up and bowed at the men.

“Ji Hyo, as long as you are sound and safe. I am happy.” Baek Chang Ju said.

“I guess Gary Ssi can leave now? You see that Ji Hyo is safe now and she explained what happened. She needs rest, you better go now. Thank you for your concerns for Ji Hyo.” Baek Chang Ju shook Gary’s hands.

Gary kept staring at Ji Hyo. “Ask me to stay, Ji Hyo, ask me to stay. Tell your CEO Baek that we are in love.” Gary screamed in his heart.

“Yes, I am tired though I already took a nap. These high school girls are so active and fun. I almost drained all my energy. Gary oppa, if you were there, I am sure they will be even happier to see you.” Ji Hyo told Gary.

“Ji Hyo…how I wish I was there. But we had a good time for the past 2 days also right? We should go back again when we have time.” Gary kept smiling at Ji Hyo.

“She brought up topics about us, she is hinting something to Baek Chang Ju?” Gary shouted a “YEAH” in his heart.

“What do you mean you both had a good time.” Baek Chang Ju asked immediately.

“Ji Hyo and I stayed behind in the province for a short get away. Hers was planned and mine was unintentionally. But fate just let us met. Or rather the cockroaches let us met.” Gary joked.

“Yah! Oppa, stop talking about the cockroaches. So creepy.” Ji Hyo hit Gary on his arm.

“Gary Ssi, enough. I think is time for you to go.” Baek Chang Ju said, his lips pursed and tighten, his facial muscles strained.

“Is time for all of you to go.” Ji Hyo proposed. She signaled to Tae Han to open the door.

“CEO Baek, Ji Hyo needs her rest, let’s go. We can come back to visit her tomorrow.” Tae Han tried to calm down his CEO.


As the men walked down to the carpark, Baek Chang Ju confronted Gary. “Gary Ssi, what is your relationship with Ji Hyo?”

“I love her. I want to make her mine. I will take good care of her.” Gary looked straight in the face of Baek Chang Ju.

“Really? You do? If you love her, you would not have hurt her initially. You slept with another girl!” Baek Chang Ju pointed his fingers at Gary.

“I slept with NO ONE.” Gary replied calmly.

“You had a new girlfriend already, haven’t you? Ji Hyo told me she has broken up with you already.” Gary challenged back.

“I never wanted the breakup. I am sure after cooling down. She will come back to me again.” Baek Chang Ju said confidently.

“Then what about your NEW girlfriend?” Gary continued to challenge.

“I am getting a new girlfriend just to make Ji Hyo jealous. And Gary Ssi….don’t attempt to poke your nose into my business.” Baek Chang Ju glared at Gary.

“Love is a fair game. CEO Baek, you are a gentleman. Let’s have Ji Hyo made her own choice of who she wants to be with. I am not going to give up easily.” Gary had this determined look on his face.

“Neither will I. Let’s play it fair then, Gary Ssi.” Both men shook their hands and left.

Tae Han was relieved as he drove off. He secretly texted Ji Hyo…..”I witness two men fighting over you. I thought I am going to have a heart attack soon.”