Confrontations

She is not my dongsaeng

Gary waited outside the photo studio for Ji Hyo. He finally managed to find out from Tae Han that Ji Hyo had gone back to work after few days of medical leaves.

“Ji Hyo.” Gary caught hold of Ji Hyo when she was about to get onto the car.

“Opp….Gary Ssi. Nice meeting you here.” Ji Hyo bowed politely at Gary.

“What the…..” Gary wanted to curse. “Why is she so formal? Calling me Gary Ssi and bowed at me.”

“Ji Hyo, what’s wrong? Is there something that you should explain to me? Or am I the one who owe you an explanation?” Gary held on tightly to Ji Hyo’s arms. He needed answers.

“Gary Ssi, please be gentle.” Tae Han wanted to step in.

“Tae Han Ssi, this is between myself and my girlfriend.” Gary turned to look at Ji Hyo. His eyes filled with sadness and rage. It was also then that Gary noticed that Ji Hyo had lost a lot of weight. She still looked pretty and attractive but her face seems much smaller, her limbs getting thinner.

“Please Ji Hyo………….”Gary cried out in frustration and almost begging. Ji Hyo looked at Gary. He looked tortured. His eyes were sored, flashing with frustration. His lips pursed tightly, his hands clenched tightly to Ji Hyo’s arms.


“Gary Ssi, are you happy with my explanation?” Ji Hyo trying to keep her calm. They were in Gary’s studio, his private office.

She knew that she can’t run from this man anymore. From the day she felt sick and laid in bed to recovering herself from both her fever and her heart pain, she had been missing Gary. She kept thinking how their relationship can move forward. Ignoring and forgetting all the unhappy memories that were inside them. Ignoring and forgetting how Gary has commented that she betrayed him.

“Ji Hyo, you should have let me help.” Gary became softer after listening to Ji Hyo’s explanations.

“This is the money that En Na took from you.” Ji Hyo passed the cheque to Gary. “Gary Ssi, I am sorry that En Na had caused you so much troubles. Please accept my apologies.” Ji Hyo stood up and bowed.

“What? What is happening?” Gary almost screamed.

“Why are you putting me into confusions, one after another. I now understand what happened between you and En Na. And now, what is this Gary Ssi thing about? Why are you giving me this cheque?” Gary buried his face into his palms. His heart screeched sliently in pain every time when Ji Hyo addressed him as Gary Ssi.

“I don’t want you to suffer any loss because of En Na. Also, don’t be so stupid to give up your restaurant to anyone. ” Ji Hyo said, avoiding any eye contact with Gary. It hurts her to see him with his sadness in his eyes.

“Ji Hyo. You are my woman. I am your man. What is important to me, is you…is you….Song Ji Hyo. Not money, not the restaurant. All these…I can earn them back easily. But you….I can’t afford to see you suffering…..” Gary said. His glaze fixed on Ji Hyo’s face.

“What if someone asked you for your Leessang company in exchange for me?” Ji Hyo challenged Gary.

There was silence in the room. Gary does not understand why Ji Hyo is asking such questions. His head starting to get heavy, all the confusions, questions and doubts weighed heavily on him. He felt pressed, a splitting headache is starting to develop

Gary took a deep breathe. “Ji Hyo, what’s wrong with you? Why are you asking all these questions?”

“Gary Ssi. Please remember, Leessang Company and your restaurant are your sweats and efforts. Don’t give up easily on it. Don’t exchange them for a disloyal and unfaithful woman.” Ji Hyo spelt out the words of “disloyal” and “unfaithful” one by one, bit by bit.

Gary was stunned to hear this. “Is there a misunderstanding between us?” Gary asked.

“Tell me frankly. What do are you thinking about, between me and CEO Baek.” Ji Hyo finally looked straight into Gary’s eyes and asked.

Silence once again filled up the room. Silence accompanied with a mixture of coldness and raged.

“Kang Gary. Let me tell you what you think.” Ji Hyo broke the ice.

“You still think that there is something between me and CEO Baek. You sometimes think that I am a 2 timer, flutters with your heart and……and….. at the same time flirts with another man. You even have…..have ……. thoughts that I will……….. betray you, falling back into the arms of my ex boyfriend.” It took Ji Hyo minutes before she could finish her sentences. In between her sentences, her voice shook. She had to swallow back the lump in so she can continue to talk.

“NO! NO! I never think that way.” Gary rebelled against Ji Hyo’s confrontations.

“This is why you refused to pick up my calls? This is why you stayed away from me?” Gary asked.

“Kang Gary, asked yourself. You really did not think that way? What did you tell your buddies when you were in Jeju? You may say that you were drunk. But words from a drunken man can be so real and true, isn’t it? All the alcohol in your body helps you to spilt out the truth.” Ji Hyo continued with her confrontation.

Gary was left dump founded. Every words of confrontation from Ji Hyo echoed in his mind. Every word is thrashing his heart like a hammer. He kept asking himself, what Ji Hyo says….are these true? All the way, he was doubting Ji Hyo? He suddenly felt guilty.


The relationship between Gary and Ji Hyo became a burden to both of them starting from the day of the confrontation. Soon, Ji Hyo had requested the RM PD to slowly cease the Monday couple moments. Gary had his consent in silence.  He just accept what Ji Hyo had wanted. RM fans started to complain about the lack of MC moments in RM. Though neither Gary or Ji Hyo had annouced their breakup, the RM members can sense it. No one dared to ask what had happened. 

Gary started to get paired up with female guests while Ji Hyo sticked to the Haha or Suk Jin combination. Gary would sometimes flirt with the female guest with his cheesy words. Every time he did that, he would steal looks at Ji Hyo hoping Ji Hyo would get jealous. To Gary's disappointment, Ji Hyo just kept her cool. 

But little did Gary knew that, every time when he flirts with the female guests, Ji Hyo would feel her heart twitching. A suddden sharp pull in her heart made her frowned but she tried to hide her emotions as much as possible by always wearing her signture cap to hide. She knew she is jealous. She knew she still care. 

“Perhaps is time.” Ji Hyo mumbled sadly to Tae Han.


2 months later, Jaek Suk announced to the RM members that Ji Hyo will be only joining the RM filming randomly, perhaps once every month or once every 2 months.

“That was solely her career choice since she has signed up 4 movies in 2 years with a China/Hong Kong production company. She is opening up her options in the China market.” Jaek Suk explained.

Gary stormed to Ji Hyo’s apartment, he wanted to ask her why. But he couldn’t bring himself to ask after standing outside her apartment for more than an hour.

“It was her career choice. Is not about me. Who you think you are, Kang Gary.” Gary laughed bitterly. He went back to his studio and drowned himself with work and alcohol.