Monday Couple, start and growing

She is not my dongsaeng

Running man chapter 8 :

“She has lovely eyes.” Words just escaped from Gary’s mouth without any hesitation.

“You like Ji Hyo, huh?” The hyungs started to tease Gary. Ji Hyo was already laughing away.

Gary felt embarrassed. “What’s wrong with you?” Gary kept echoing the same question in his heart. “But she does have lovely eyes and….and…..her smile, her smile….is so ……so sweet.” Gary let his inner thoughts ran wild.

“Come back, Kang Gary.” Gary quickly pulled himself back from his thoughts. He successfully diverted the members’ attention to something else.


“Stop staring at me.” Gary glared at Haha. The pair of good friends was having lunch at Gary’s restaurant on the following day. Gary was trying to get some tips about variety shows since he is quite new in this area. And somehow, Ji Hyo’s name was mentioned.

“I was just trying to help her since the hyungs were picking on her.” Gary tried to explain.

“Hyung, you are really the straight forward Kang Gary. Can’t you see that Jae Suk and Suk Jin hyung are trying to give some screen time to Ji Hyo?” Haha almost choked on his soju when Gary mentioned that he was trying to help.

“Really? Oh….I didn’t notice that. So….So I messed it up?” Gary started to get worried. He was concern that he has unknowingly ‘stole’ Ji Hyo’s screen time.

“No No, hyung, no worries. Jae Suk hyung and the PDs were very satisfied with your performance that day. They all think that you are witty and humorous. Keep it up.” Haha raised his cup of soju and cheer Gary on.


The ice between Gary and Ji Hyo started to melt as they get to know each other better every week but Gary felt that Ji Hyo was closer to Joong Ki and Kwang Soo. The 3 of them would eat together and when Ji Hyo is tired, she will lean on Kwang Soo’s shoulders to rest.  Besides the on screen moments, there were very little interaction between Ji Hyo and Gary. That’s why Gary was taken aback when the writers raised the idea of a love line between him and Ji Hyo.

“Ji Hyo Ssi has already agreed to do the love line with you.”  PD Cho informed Gary.

“Will this work?” Gary had doubts about the idea.

“ The interaction between you and Ji Hyo Ssi for the past few chapters of Running Man were well received by the viewers” The crew and Jae Suk assured Gary that the idea will work fine. Gary finally agree to it.

“The beast and the beauty?” Haha teased Gary upon hearing the news about the love line.


The love line continues and grew stronger in each chapter of Running Man. Ji Hyo’s image as the Ace is also getting stronger. She started to blend in with the members.

“I thought Ji Hyo is just the same as other actresses who care too much about her image. But she is now actually bringing her real personality onto Running Man. Bright, courageous, cheerful and tomboyish. That is what we are looking for.” Jae Suk and the RM crew praised Ji Hyo. Gary and the rest of the members totally agree with these comments about Ji Hyo.

Ji Hyo’s charisma had attracted some suitors, actors, guests and sponsors. Gary also has his own circle of fan girls which include young female idols who always stick besides Gary when they came onto the Running man show as guests and he is popular among girls in the club.

Many would ask if Gary and Ji Hyo are real when the cameras were off.

“No no, she is just a dongsaeng.” Gary would say. He would steal a look at Ji Hyo whenever this question was raised. Usually Ji Hyo just smiled politely at Gary’s answer. But whenever this question was posed to Gary, Gary felt that his heart leaps. His heart beat raised and dance to the rhythm of the songs that he is humming. Suddenly, the day seems brighter.


“Ji Hyo eonni, are you feeling exhausted? Rest early. “ Ji Hyo’s personal assistant, En Na send Ji Hyo home after the RM filming and helped Ji Hyo to unpack her stuffs.

Ji Hyo sat at the sofa, using a towel to dry her hair.

“En Na, I am OK. The focus for today’s filming was on the female idols. I don’t get much screen time. Most of the time I am in a daze.”  Ji Hyo joked. She understands that this is how variety works.

“Then what is bothering you?” En Na asked.

“Gary Oppa?” En Na whispered Gary’s name.

“Ya, En Na. What are you talking about.” Ji Hyo quickly rebelled against En Na’s comments.

“Eonni, you like Gary Oppa, don’t you?” En Na continued to unpack Ji Hyo’s stuff as she asked.

Ji Hyo blushed immediately when she heard En Na’s comments. Though her back is facing En Na, Ji Hyo quickly let down her hair to cover her ears and part of her face which were already red like an apple.

“You like him and that’s why you had no hesitations when the Running Man PDs asked you to start a love line with Gary Oppa though Oppa is ugly.” En Na said.

“En Na! How can you be so rude and say that Gary Oppa is ugly?” Ji Hyo turned around immediately, glaring at En Na.

“Oppa is not ugly, he…he…he….he is just not good looking. But he is talented, gentle and considerate. He has a great sense of humour. His songs are so well written, he is like a poet.” Ji Hyo’s compliments to Gary were sincere, more than what a fan girl would say about her idol.

“Eonni, look at your reaction! Don’t deny that you like Oppa. “ En Na mocked at Ji Hyo.

“Ya! Choi En Na! You little brat!” Ji Hyo threw the sofa cushion at En Na. The girls giggled.

The feelings between the Gary and Ji Hyo grows without them knowing. Only their hearts knew.