Standing Still

You're the Potion to my Cauldron

"Burn it up, turn it into ashes and go far away. Cause I’m on fire but you keep on standing still"

U-Kiss - Standing Still


 

Seokjin wrapped his dark blue scarf around his neck and stuffed gloves in the pockets of his coat. It was cold outside, an unusual chilling weather for the end of October. Hopefully he was able to get his hands on a hot butter beer while he was doing his patrol through Hogsmeade.

Back down in their common room, he was greeted by Stephanie curled in a cocoon of blankets.

“What are you doing?” Seokjin asked her confused, “Aren’t you going to meet up with your date?”

“I-I’m sick,” Stephanie sneezed, “I’ve got serious fever and stuff.”

“I’m sure if you go up to Madam Pomfrey she’ll fix you in seconds,” Seokjin offered her a hand, “Come on, let’s go to the hospital wing.”

“Ah, I’ll go there by myself, no worries,” Stephanie sneezed again, “Be a sweetheart and tell Namjoon I can’t make it? He’s waiting for me in front of the great hall.”

“Sure thing,” Seokjin nodded, “I’m going then. Get some rest, you don’t wanna miss classes, do you?”

Stephanie rolled her eyes behind his back.

“Yeah, of course not.”

Seokjin made his way in the midst of overly excited Ravenclaws down to the great hall, checking his watch while doing so. He agreed on meeting the other prefects outside and then talk with them about the patrol.

Luckily he found Namjoon easily. The other totally stuck out, probably because he was the only Asian student in Hogwarts with bright blonde hair (and everyone knew Asians looked like es with blonde hair).

“Hey,” he said and approached the other.

“Hey!” Namjoon grinned at him, “What’s up?”

“Um, bad news,” Seokjin said and stopped some third years from shoving each other, “Your date’s cancelled.”

“What?” Namjoon frowned at him, “Why?”

“Stephanie’s like super sick,” Seokjin said slowly, “She’s getting her health checked up at the hospital wing right now, but the date’s not really going to happen.”

“Oh,” Namjoon stared at him blankly.

“Well, unfortunate for you,” Seokjin shrugged and turned around, “I have to go. See you at Hogsmeade maybe..?”

“Wait!”

A hand suddenly closed around his wrist and Seokjin inhaled sharply.

“You don’t have a date for Hogsmeade, do you?” Namjoon asked.

“Well, as I said, I have duties,” Seokjin said slowly and stared at the fingers around his wrist, “Prefect duties.”

“So you’re free,” Namjoon beamed at him, “You know, I have this whole date already planned out and it would be a shame to just give up on it, so what about you?”

“I what?” Seokjin frowned.

“You go on that date with me,” Namjoon said as if this was no big deal, “I mean, it’s not a problem, is it?”

“Uh,” Seokjin didn’t know what to say, “I have … duties …”

“Mate!” Hoseok literally appeared out of nowhere and brofisted Seokjin’s shoulder, “Just wanna tell you real quick that we all agreed with you having some free time. You always work so hard and we already feel very guilty.”

“What?” Seokjin blinked at him totally confused.

“Perfect then,” Namjoon laughed and his hand slipped down from the prefect’s wrist to hold on his hand, “Come on!”

Seokjin couldn’t even protest and stumbled behind the blonde out of the entrance hall.




“Are you serious?” Hyosang stared at the younger with wide eyes.

“Totally!” Junhong assured him, “I heard them in the entrance hall. Our prefect has a date. With a Gryffindor.”

“A guy?” Youngjae furrowed his brows.

“Yeah,” Junhong nodded, “Kim Namjoon. He’s one of Gryffindor’s chasers on top, which means he’s an enemy.”

“And Seokjin still goes on a date with him,” Hyosang puffed his cheeks, “He really must like that guy.”

“Which of course means,” a mischievous smile formed on Junhong’s lips, “there’s only one thing we have to do now.”

“Definitely,” Hyosang chuckled.

“Aren’t we too old for that…?” Youngjae raised an eyebrow but no one listened to him.

“Yo Taehyung!” Junhong raised a hand and waved at the purple haired, “Come here, we have something interesting – oh, you brought your friend.”

Taehyung trudged over to them in company of Jimin who looked rather intimidated with all players of Ravenclaw giving him hard looks.

“Uh, hi,” the brown haired said shyly.

“What are you doing?” Taehyung asked and tilted his head, “Getting sweets at honeydukes? I’m hungry.”

“No, better,” Junhong grinned at him, “we’re following our prefect on his first date.”




“Try this!”

Seokjin blinked while an ice mouse was stuffed right in his mouth.

“Uh,” he coughed and had trouble swallowing, “It’s cold.”

“But yummy, right?” Namjoon laughed, “Ice mice are my second favourite here.”

Honeydukes was full of students and all warm inside. Perfect in comparison to the cold wind outside. Seokjin liked the colourful sweets and the sweet smell of everything and even though he would have preferred doing his prefect duties like he was supposed to, this wasn’t really that bad either.

“What is your favourite then?” he asked and inspected a jar of peppermint toads.

“Every flavour beans,” Namjoon said and reached out for bag, “I loved them since like forever. My dad always bought them for me when he was in London for work. They are just awesome.”

“And risky,” Seokjin said but accepted the bag, “Does your dad still buy them for you?”

“Occasionally,” Namjoon shrugged, “He says I can buy them myself and he’s right, but from time to time he sends me a bag.”

“That’s nice,” Seokjin took another box of his favourite nougat and honey-coloured toffees, “My dad only sends me advices for school and my career.”

“Your career?” Namjoon asked amused.

“Oh you know, excelling every class, being a successful prefect, becoming head boy,” Seokjin counted, “Then getting employed at the ministry of magic.”

“And in the end being the minister?” Namjoon grabbed a big box of chocolate frogs.

“Sure,” Seokjin laughed and paid for his sweets.

“Very ambitious,” Namjoon stated.

“Oh, I only –“ Seokjin paused and turned his head.

Somehow he had the feeling of a gaze piercing in his back. Weird …

“You what?” Namjoon asked and reached out to stuff another ice mouse in the prefect’s mouth.

“Hmpfh – stop this!” Seokjin protested, “I feel like my teeth are freezing.”

Namjoon laughed. “Give me some of those toffees then.”

Seokjin only hesitated for a second before reaching out and pushing a toffee through Namjoon’s lips.

“Mhm, it’s good.”




“They are already feeding each other!”

“I told you it’s serious!”

“Wow, I never expected Seokjin to be so straight forward actually.”

“Youngjae, where did your friend go? Daehyun?”

“Buying some sweets. His love for food …”

“He has to hurry, they’re leaving!”

“Ok, I’ll grab him.”




Seokjin always liked Derwish & Banges. Secretly, next to becoming someone important like his father wanted him to be, he was also greatly interested in the work of aurors. The range of all those magical instruments to fight against dark arts was definitely fascinating and Seokjin usually spent quite some time strolling through the shop by himself.

But somehow, the company of Namjoon was not bothering him at all. The other was younger than him and just so different, but on the same time he also felt kind of comfortable spending time with him.

“Look at this,” Namjoon grinned and showed him a small, silvery sneakoscope, “This would be really useful to carry around in your bag. To be always safe and stuff.”

“I’m not sure if this would really work though,” Seokjin leaned over and took the small sneakoscope, “Also, what should this warn you from? Annoying Slytherins?”

“Ha ha, of course,” Namjoon laughed and took a look at another box, “Whoa! Come here, quick!”

“What?” Seokjin asked and carefully walked through the high stacks of rotating towers.

“Look,” Namjoon showed him the box with an excited expression on his face, “Dragons.”

Seokjin’s eyes widened and he extended a hand. Four small models of dragons sat in the box, all in miniature but alarmingly true to life.

“Those are replicas of the models used for the Triwizard Tournament in 1994,” he read from a card attached to the box, “All four dragons were part of the tournament’s first task with the champions fighting against them.”

“Must be tough to fight against a dragon,” Namjoon stated and grabbed the silvery blue dragon, “This one looks cool. Swedish Short-Snout. The champion who fought against it surely had a hard time.”

“Most definitely,” Seokjin took another dragon, which was scarlet red, “Chinese Fireball. Impressive.”

“Whoa look at this one though!” Namjoon said and showed him a black dragon with bronze coloured spikes all over his tail, “Hungarian Horntail. Whew, I do not want to come close to one of those ever. It’s like a flying killing machine.”

Seokjin stared at the scarlet dragon who was still on his hand, now tugging on his sleeve and showing his long teeth.

“They’re really fascinating,” he stated, “I could totally skip all classes of Care for Magical Creatures and instead write tons of essays about dragons with those models. Hagrid surely would give me perfect scores.”

“Is this really necessary for Care of Magical Creatures though?” Namjoon laughed, “It’s more like lazying around, isn’t it?”

“Probably,” Seokjin grimaced, “If it wasn’t for those things Hagrid always shows us in class.”

“Things?” Namjoon sounded amused, “You don’t like animals, do you?”

“Not really,” Seokjin carefully put his dragon back in the box and locked it, “Do you? 

Well, I have a rat, so, Namjoon shrugged and placed the sneakoscope on the shelf next to him,  “Diesel, he's cute. Wanna meet him some day?” 

“No thanks," Seokjin grimaced and pointed at his watch, 
 So, what’s next on your date plan?”

Namjoon grinned. “Get us something to drink.”




“How much time can you even spend at ing Derwish & Banges?!”

“We should have known it. This is Seokjin after all.”

“Wait, I think we lost Jimin somewhere. Wasn’t he hiding behind those bookshelves?”

“Leave him. He’s a Hufflepuff anyway.”

“Wow, that’s so cold Junhong.”

“Come on, we don’t wanna lose them. Who knows where they’re going to go next?”

“Didn’t they say they want something to drink? I don’t expect Seokjin to ever set a foot inside the Hog’s Head, so it’s definitely going to be the Three Broomsticks.”

“It could also be Madam Pudifoot’s tea shop though.”

“I am definitely not going to follow them in there.”




“Here you go.”

Namjoon placed two foaming tankards full of hot butter beer on the table.

“Cheers,” Seokjin nodded and took one, “If you’d gone on this date with Stephanie, would you have visited that cheesy tea shop though?”

“Um,” Namjoon grinned and clinked glasses with him, “Maybe?”

Seokjin rolled his eyes and took a sip of the hot butter beer. In this cold weather it was definitely the best thing to warm himself up and the Three Broomsticks was unsurprisingly full of students.

“Hey mate,” Namjoon suddenly turned around and brofisted with the Quidditch commentator, Jackson, who was in the company of a pretty girl, “What’s up?”

“Ah, I convinced Youngji that Three Broomsticks has a way better atmosphere for a date than Madam Pudifoot’s,” Jackson laughed while the girl next to him rolled her eyes, “What are you guys doing? Are you dating, too?”

“Of course,” Namjoon grinned.

And because of no apparent reason this made Seokjin choke on his butter beer.

“Hey, you alright?” Namjoon asked and patted his back.

“Y-yeah,” Seokjin coughed, “Hi Jackson, hi Youngji.”

“Ah, I don’t wanna bother you then,” Jackson said and beamed at them, “Have fun. See you at the next match Seokjin.”

The Ravenclaw prefect shot him a non-amused glare and Jackson disappeared with a loud laughter.

“Still bugged by your defeat?” Namjoon chuckled, “I’m not sure if this helps but you guys are definitely going to win against Slytherin.”

“Ah, what a surprise,” Seokjin snorted, “We’re going to win against Slytherin and you guys, I’m sure.”

Namjoon only laughed and took another sip of his butter beer.

“You know what’s funny?” the other suddenly said and leaned back on his seat, “I’ve been friends with Steph for around a year now and you guys are really close, I assume. But I never really talked to you before.”

“Maybe because you’re a Gryffindor,” Seokjin stated, “And, besides Stephanie, our circle of friends doesn’t really overlap.”

“Hmm, must be the reason,” Namjoon shrugged, “I just kinda regret it now.”

Seokjin stared at him and the fact his heart was pounding in his chest made him almost drop his beer.




“Was Namjoon admitting they’re dating just right now?!”

“I wouldn’t quite put it that way but –“  

“Hey guys, what are you doing? Why are you all hiding behind that table?”

“Hoseok, shhh! They almost heard us!”

“Are you watching Seokjin on his date with that Gryffindor? Awesome idea.”

“I know right? This is better than destroying Slytherin in Quidditch four years in a row! Actually, you already missed so much, they were feeding each other and then –“

“They’re moving again! Follow them!”

“Hey, wait, someone’s missing!”

“Who cares, come on, come on!”




“The Shrieking Shank? Seriously?” Seokjin raised an eyebrow, “You know, this is pretty cliché.”

“Well, I asked my friends and they told me this is the most romantic,” Namjoon shrugged, “I thought Stephanie would like it.”

Seokjin stuffed his hands in his pockets and followed Namjoon on the small way up to the Shrieking Shank. Cold wind tousled his hair and Seokjin’s boots were drenched with mud.

“But what exactly did you plan then?” he asked and tilted his head, “Stare at the Shrieking Shank and get all lovey dovey?”

“Well, I probably would have improvised,” Namjoon grinned, “I’m pretty flexible.”

Seokjin just stared at him.

“What?”

“Nothing,” Seokjin shook his head, “I just thought that –“

He paused and narrowed his eyes at something in the distance. “What –“

“Hmm?”

“– the ,” Seokjin snatched his wand in an instant and pointed at the tree in front of them.


“ Hyosang this is all your fault! Are you seriously too stupid to hide behind that ing tree?”

“Why is this my fault, I couldn’t see anything! Junhong pushed me to the back, you should blame him!”

“Shut the up, Seokjin’s staring at us! He raised his wand at us!

“Quick, cast a disillusionment charm on all of us!”

“Do I ing look like I know how the disillusionment charm works?!”

“Youngjae probably knows how it works. Where is Youngjae? Why is Youngjae not here?


“What are you doing here?” Seokjin snapped and approached them with quick steps.

“Um,” Junhong tried to hide behind the others which looked kind of ridiculous because of his height, “… taking a walk?”

“Are you kidding me?” Seokjin growled, “Were you following us?!”

“This is total coincidence!” Hyosang raised his hands in defence, “We just, um –“

“We met Jimin and Taehyung on their date!“ Junhong quickly said.

“What?!”

“Yes and we recommended them this place because of the romantic atmosphere,” Junhong continued, “But you know, they’re dumb, so we needed to show them the way because they couldn’t find it themselves.”

Seokjin raised both eyebrows.

“This is totally not true!” Jimin blared, “I know the way to the Shrieking Shank! Also Taehyung and I are not on a date –“

Junhong shut him up with a fist shoved in his face but it was too late.

“This – “ Seokjin stopped and lowered his wand, “I hope you know what this means –“

“,” Hyosang shoved Junhong violently backwards while grabbing both Jimin’s and Taehyung’s collar, “RUN!”

“DETENTION!” Seokjin yelled after them, “DETENTION FOR ALL OF YOU!”

Meanwhile Namjoon probably died from laughing.




“Sorry that this was so messed up,” Seokjin sighed while they entered the entrance hall, “Ravenclaws are said to be smart and well-behaved but well.”

“It was fun,” Namjoon grinned and leaned against the wall, “You are totally furious when you’re mad.”

Seokjin furrowed his brows at him. “Who wouldn’t be?”

“Dunno,” Namjoon shrugged, “So, I guess the date is over then?”

“Oh,” Seokjin didn’t know while his ears started burning, “Um, yes, I guess –“

To be honest, he didn’t really thought about it much, but the end of date usually requires something like a hug or a kiss … But even though Seokjin had to admit he felt kind of flustered thorough the date, there wasn’t even a single sign Namjoon felt at least close to the same. Probably, for Namjoon this was just another way to enjoy himself after his romantic date with Stephanie didn’t happen.

Seokjin bit his lip and couldn’t quite believe the disappointment pounding in his chest. What was he, twelve …?

“So,” Namjoon tilted his head, “This was really fun. We should hang out again.”

“Yeah,” Seokjin pressed his lips together.

“I actually bought you this thing,“ Namjoon continued and scratched his neck in embarrassment, “You know, it really could be useful.”

Seokjin blinked in confusion and accepted the box the other handed him.

“What exactly –“ Seokjin glanced inside, “Oh. Wow. Thank you.”

“You don’t sound too excited about it,” Namjoon laughed.

“No, I really like it,” Seokjin stared at the silvery sneakoscope they found at Derwish & Banges, “This is really … thoughtful of you. And nice.”

“Glad you like it then,” Namjoon grinned and then paused, “Hey Steph! Over here!”

The curly haired girl stopped right on the stairs and ran in their direction. “Namjoon! Seokjin!”

“Hi Stephanie,” Seokjin said with a dryer voice than appropriate while stuffing the sneakoscope in his pocket, “How are you feeling?”

“Great, Madam Pomfrey fixed me,” Stephanie beamed at them, “Are you going to eat?”

“Um, I actually have to take care of something,” Seokjin mumbled, “See you later …?”

“Yeah sure!”

Stephanie grinned and linked arms with Namjoon. “So, how was Hogsmeade?”

“It was really cool,” Namjoon stated, “Actually, my plan for our date was so perfect, it’s a shame you missed it.”

“Ah, I’m sure we’ll find the time to repeat –” Stephanie suddenly paused, “Oh there’s Hoseok! Save a seat for me, I have to talk to him real quick!”

Namjoon nodded and strolled off in the direction of the great hall.

“Hoseok!” Stephanie rushed over to the prefect and grabbed his arm.

“Oh hey,” Hoseok grinned at her, “So, did it work?”

“Perfectly,” Stephanie handed him a small box, “Those are the leftovers. I didn’t really know the skiving sweets work so well, but seriously, I had around forty degrees fever and a serious cold only seconds after I ate one.”

“Ah, those things are gifts from heaven,” Hoseok patted the box fondly, “And you know, I even met your other Ravenclaw friends spying on Namjoon and Seokjin on their date. Seems like it really went well.”

“Oh, I hope so,” Stephanie said.

“But,” Hoseok furrowed his brows, “why are you doing this? I mean, isn’t Namjoon your sort of boyfriend?”

“Not really,” Stephanie shrugged, “I mean, I wouldn’t set him up on this date then.”

“So the reason is ..?”

“Hmm?” Stephanie grinned, “I just think they match.”


 


Namjin date woop woop. Finally some progress (?) in their relationship. Sorry for all of that unnecessary swearing in the chapter. And the unnecessary and unfunny slapstick. I just couldn’t stop myself …

So, one chapter full of Namjin, whoa. Next chapter will be the other couples again ^^

Thanks for reading! Please have a butter beer and a nice weekend!

xxx