Letting Go

One Month

It had been a week since Baekhyun's proposal, and in that one week, a lot of things had been taken into consideration. From deciding on where you both would like to have the wedding take place, from who you guys would invite. There was clearly a lot to be done. But despite the never ending list of things that had to be taken care of, Baekhyun and you could never have been happier. Your guys' relationship was finally mended, and he had earned your trust once again. You both were living in bliss. 

 

The night that Baekhyun had proposed had held a lot of surprises for you. From witnessing a side of Kai that you never knew existed, to Baekhyun's proposal, and later on that night, some "late night fun". It was one eventful night, you could say, and you wouldn't change a thing about it. Even that moment when Kai had insulted you, because without experiencing that, you wouldn't have seen just how much of a jerk he really was. But something inside you also told you that there was more to the story of what happened that night than you knew. And with this gut feeling, you decided to confront Kai. 

 

At first, you had thought about doing this without Baekhyun's knowledge, but from past experiences, you knew it was better to not keep any lies between you two. And as you expected, Baekhyun was against your plan at first, but eventually gave in as he knew that you needed closure with Kai. 

 

"Wow, I'm so lucky to have such an understanding fiance", you had beamed after he had given you his approval of the plan. 

 

"Fiance, I like the sound of that", he had said in response, wrapping his arms around your frame. 

 

You had giggled as he snuggled his head into your neck, which just so happened to be your weak spot when it came to tickling. And Baekhyun knew of this fact all too well, using it to his advantage whenever he wanted to. In seconds, he had made you into a laughing mess, now using his hands to tickle your sides. 

 

You smiled at the memory, as Baekhyun and you were currently making your way to the park that you had once met Kai at. Baekhyun had approved of the plan on one condition, that one condition being that he was to accompany you when you met up with Kai. You were a bit apprehensive when you heard of the ultimatum he had given you, afraid that a fight would break out amongst the two of them, but you knew that it was your only choice. On the bright side, having Baekhyun there made you feel safe. Something you weren't so sure you felt anymore when you were with Kai, whom seemed unpredictable now. Like he had morphed into a totally different person. 

 

You felt Baekhyun's hand squeeze yours, snapping you back into reality. You focused your gaze on the familiar figure that was standing up from a park bench that he had been sitting on, and there he was. Kai. 

 

"Hi", he greeted the both of you awkwardly,  as Baekhyun and you came closer. 

 

"Hey", Baekhyun responded curtly, his grip on your hand tightening slightly. As if he were afraid he would lose you. 

 

You looked up at Baekhyun, sending him a reassuring stare. You nodded towards him, telling him that you would be alright now. Before you had left to meet up with Kai, you had agreed with Baekhyun that he could come along, but that he would have to leave Kai and you alone if you asked him to. Reluctanly, Baekhyun left your side and made his way towards a park bench a good distance from where Kai and you stood, but in the perfect spot for him to still keep an eye on the two of you. 

 

After he had left, you looked up to find Kai staring at you. His stare made you feel slightly uncomfortable, that longing look in his eyes sending shivers down your spine. 

 

"Kai", you said, breaking the silence. 

 

He looked towards you, his eyes full of pain. The intense look in his eyes made you feel sorry for him, as well as curious. 

 

'What had happened to him?' you wondered internally. 

 

Never had you thought that his sudden change in behavior would be the result of heartbreak. But that was something you were just blind to. 

 

"I'm sorry for what I said that night", he apologized suddenly. 

 

"I was hurt, and angry at the same time. Angry at the fact that you didn't want me, that I wasn't good enough for you to love. And aside from the anger, your decision left me with a pain I never knew existed, and I wish I never did know. And I know it was foolish of me to actually believe in the idea that you would choose me over him, I mean, you guys have so much history together. I never stood a chance. But my foolish ways were the result of my love for you, and that was probably the greatest mistake I made when it came to you, Y/N. I fell for you, and I fell ing hard." 

 

You were left speechless, not knowing how to respond, or even if you were meant to respond. All you could do now was let his words to sink in. 

 

"I'm sorry", you spoke shakily. You were on the verge of tears, the guilt you felt from the immense pain you had caused him unbearable. 

 

"I never meant to hurt you Kai. And if it means anything still, I did feel something for you."

 

 "But that something just wasn't strong enough to make me leave Baekhyun". 

 

Kai let out a sigh. 

 

"I know. I know that you felt something for me, that 's why I had hope. I just didn't know that that hope would turn into something stronger." he said. 

 

"But I understand. I just hope that I didn't screw up too bad, cause I hope we can still be friends at the very least. But I also understand if you never want to see my face again." 

 

You smiled at his words, you were glad that despite all the trouble you've caused him, he was still willing to be your friend. 

 

'Now this is the Kai I know', you thought gladly. 

 

"Of course we can be friends." you happily responded. 

 

He smiled at your words.

 

"I'm sorry still, for what happened at the dance competition." he said regretfully. 

 

"It's alright. I understand now why you did what you did." you assured him, fully accepting his explanation of why he had been so cold to you that day. 

 

You felt light hearted once again, as if a gigantic weight had finally been taken off your shoulders. Everything was fitting into place now, in your once cluttered and chaotic world. And being able to resolve things with Kai had been the final piece to complete your happiness. 

 

Smiling brightly, Kai nudged his head in Baekhyun's direction. "You should go now, he seems to hate waiting". 

 

Laughing at his comment, you turned around to find Baekhyun fidgeting in his seat with an unpleasant expression plastered on his face. 

 

"Yeah, he really doesn't." you giggled in agreement.

 

"Thank you Kai", you let out before making your way towards the impatient doofus that was your fiance. 

 

"Yah! What took you so long?" Baekhyun asked grumpily, crossing his arms across his chest. 

 

"Aish, nevermind that. How about we go out for some food? I'm starving", you said, finding it unnecessary to mention what Kai had told you to him. It was something that you felt was meant to be kept between Kai and you, and you didn't want to blurt out something that wasn't yours to tell. 

 

"Fine. How about we head to that diner we passed on our way here? I've been craving cheeseburgers lately." Baekhyun suggested as he intertwined your fingers with his. 

 

"Whatever, I just want to eat", you blatantly replied. 

 

And with that, you both made your way towards the diner. Both happy, and a little hungry. 

 

A/N : Please don't forget to comment! Don't be a ghost subscriber :)