Baseball

Vampire In Love

Tae takes off. Storm clouds gather in the sky as Fany and Tae pull up in the Jeep. She takes in a rough baseball diamond, set into an enormous field in the lap of the Kims peaks. Sunny and Yuri come to greet Fany. 

Sunny: Good thing you’re here. We need a umpire.
Yuri(big crooked grin): She thinks we cheat.
Sunny: I know you cheat. Call ‘em as you see ‘em, Fany. 

Whip pan, to Seo on the Pitcher’s Mound.

Seo: It’s time.

Just as a deep rumble of thunder shakes the forest. The game begins. And it's extraordinary. Fany stays by Sunny who plays catcher. Seo pitches with lightning-fast speed. Tae and Yuri take positions in the outfield. Seo throws the ball and Jessica hits the ball with the aluminum bat. It cracks like thunder and is followed directly by real thunder. 

Fany(to Sunny): Now I get why you need the thunder.

The ball shoots like a meteor deep into the forest, rocketing through the trees. Tae disappears after it.

Fany: That has to be a home run.
Sunny: Tae is very fast.

Jessica darts around the bases, almost a blur. Tae races out of the forest with the ball and whips it to home plate. WHAP! Sunny catches it a millisecond before Jessica slides in.

Fany: Yer out?

Sunny nods. Amazed, Fany watches as Soo hits a line drive. Tae and Yuri race for the catch, diving 15 feet and colliding with such might that it sounds like enormous boulders falling. They miss the ball and Soo is safe! Yoona whacks the next pitch deep into the forest. But before Tae can chase it, Seo suddenly gasps. 

Seo: Stop! I didn’t see them...

They all stop. Tae is immediately at Fany's side. The family instantly gathers at home plate.

Seo: They’re traveling so quickly --
Jess: You said they left the country--
Seo: They did, but then they heard us...
(looking at Edward) And changed their minds.
Tae(to Fany): Put your hair down --
Jess: Like that’ll help. I could smell
her from across the field.

Tae ignores Jess as he arranges Fany’s hair.

Tae: I shouldn’t have brought you here.
I’m so sorry.

She’d ask why, but suddenly, they all turn as one toward the forest. There’s a faint rustle then three people emerge. As they near, Fany sees their bare feet, then the deep burgundy of their eyes. The person holds up the baseball.