The Truth

Vampire In Love

Fany POV
I was standing in the centre of the deserted, green lawn. I was still reeling with disbelief. The bell rings and students exit class, rushing past me as I stand still, waiting for him. 

No one POV
-- cross the lawn, heading to class was Tae and his siblings. Tae sees Fany, sees the intensity on her face. He stops. She walks to him, eyes meeting his. Her look says, we have to talk and she continues directly past him, into the dark forest that borders the school.
He watches her disappear in the trees, then takes a step to follow. Yoona moves in front of him, Jessica grabs his arm.

Jessica: Tae, don’t go.

But Seo gently removes Jessica's hand from his arm.

Seo: He’s already there.

The Forest
She stands amid the trees, waiting. Then the sounds of the trees abruptly drop out. A predator is near. Tae appears behind her. She doesn’t turn around. A beat.

Fany: You’re fast. And strong. Your skin is ice-cold. Your eyes change color. And sometimes you speak like... you’re from a different time. (turns to face him now) You never eat food, or drink, or come out in the sunlight. And you said no to the beach trip only after you heard where it was. Because of the treaty.

This last registers with him. She steps closer to him.

Fany: How old are you?
Tae: Seventeen.
Fany: How long have you been seventeen?

He sees he can’t hide anymore. Honesty is an enormous risk, but he has to take it.

Tae: A while.

She inhales. She knew, but it’s still shocking. 

Fany: I know what the Cold Ones are.
What you are. 
Tae: Say it. Out loud. Say it.

All sound suddenly drops out. We hear only her whisper...

Fany: Vampire

They seem to hover in momentary stasis, him utterly exposed, her reality utterly rocked.

Tae: Are you afraid? Are you afraid now of me?
Fany: No. 
Tae(angry): Then ask me the most basic question. What do we eat?
Fany: You won’t hurt me. You’re different.
Tae: You think you know me?

He glares at her. She holds her ground. Suddenly, he takes her by the hand. Starts walking.

Fany: Where are we going?
Tae: Up the mountain. Out of the cloud
bank. You need to see what I really am. What I look like in the harsh light of the sun.
Fany: No! The sunlight will kill you.
Tae: Myth. You need to see the truth.

He pulls her but she stumbles.

Fany: Slow down.

Suddenly, he’s right next to her. 

Tae: Are you afraid? Someplace where you. Where I wanted to do from met you.
Fany: No.
Tae: No one can protect you. I could do what I’ve wanted the first moment I saw you. 

Their proximity is intense, riveting both of them.

Fany: I’m not afraid.
Tae: You should be.

He abruptly and effortlessly scoops her up into his arms.

Tae: Hold on.

Then he flings her onto his back and starts running. Tae races through the forest, dark trunks strobing past as he picks up speed, faster and faster. Fany clings to his back as it seems he'll collide with the trees, but he avoids them with supernatural grace. It's frightening, nauseating, intoxicating.

Tae: Are you afraid!?
Fany: No!

But she clings tighter. Terrified. They climb in altitude. Higher and higher, above the fog layer. Finally, up aheadthe forests edge, fast approaches, a clearing is beyond. The sunlight glows white hot beyond the trees, they're about to emerge from the shadowy darkness but suddenly Fany finds herself sitting on the ground, against a tree. All is silent. She's dizzy, tries to regain her equilibrium. Then she realizes she’s alone.

Fany: Tae? Where are you?

She rises, then steps just beyond the fringe of the ferns into a perfect circle of swaying grass, wildflowers and buttery sunlight. She hears a stream nearby. Fany looks around and finally sees Tae with his shirt open, standing nearby in the shade of some trees. He watches her cautiously. She takes a step toward him, but he holds up a hand. She waits. Finally, he takes a deep breath, and steps out of the shade. 

Tae: This is why we don’t show ourselves in sunlight.

As the sun hits him, Tae skin literally sparkles as if embedded with thousands of tiny diamonds. He is magnificent, shimmering, like a statue carved from glittering crystal. He moves toward her.

Tae: This is what I am.

He nears, clearly expecting her to recoil, but...

Tae: You’re... beautiful...

He realizes that she’s in awe. She reaches to touch him, but he immediately backs into the shadows, his skin normal again.
Tae(appalled): Beautiful? I’m a killer, Fany. This is the skin of a killer.

His arm juts into a shaft of light, sparkling again.

Fany: I don’t believe that.
Tae: Because you believe the lie. The
camouflage. I’m the world's most dangerous predator. Everything about me invites you in. In my voice, my face, even my smell. As if I need any of that.

He’s suddenly behind her and then in front of her, then by a tree, darting so fast, we only see where he lands --

Tae: As if you could outrun me. As if
you could fight me off.

He abruptly rips off a large tree limb, then throws it against a tree trunk with explosive force. Fany flinches, but holds her ground, unshakable.

Tae: I’m designed to kill.
Fany: I don’t care.
Tae: I’ve killed people.
Fany: It doesn’t matter.
Tae: I wanted to kill you. I’ve never
wanted a human's blood so much in my life. I’m dangerous to you.
Fany: I trust you.
Tae: Don’t trust me. I might hurt you.  Fany:I trust you, Tae. I’m here.

She takes his hand. He reels at the warmth of her touch. She leans in, drawn to him, unaware that her lips is nearing his lips, then suddenly he’s gone.

Fany: Tae?

She looks over to find he's on the other side of the meadow, catching his breath.

Tae: You... took me by surprise. I don’t know how to... do this.

He moves back toward her. Slowly.

Tae: Me, and my family, we’re different
from others of our kind. We’re not nomadic, we have a permanent home. We only hunt animals. We’ve learned to control our thirst. But you, your scent, it’s like a drug to me... my own personal brand of heroin.
Fany(realizing): Oh... I thought you hated me when we met.
Tae: I did. For making I’m still not if I  want you so badly. I cant control myself.
Fany: I know you can.

He’s utterly vulnerable as he looks at her, searching her face for clues.

Tae: I wish I could understand this
thing you see in me. You look at me with those eyes. I can’t read your mind. Tell me what you’re thinking.
Fany: I’m afraid.

Stricken, he sinks gracefully to his knees in the grass.

Tae: Good.

She sinks down in front of him.
Fany: Not of that. I’m afraid... you’ll
disappear. That I’ll lose you.
Tae(amazed): You don’t know how long I’ve looked for you.

They share a smile. Then he reaches toward her neck, pausing...

Tae: Be very still.

She does so. Exercising great control, he places his hand on ... it’s so exposed, so vulnerable. The rush between them is overwhelming. But Fany doesn’t move. He brushes his hand up her cheek. Then lowers it to her heart. Clouds float past the sun.
They’re both overwhelmed, taking each other in.

Tae: And so the lion fell for the lamb.
Fany: Stupid lamb.
Tae: Sick masochistic lion.