Chapter 2

Ouija Board

Amber stood frozen in her spot. She’s scared. No doubt about that. Her body was trembling and was as dry as her grandmother’s body buried six feet under the ground. Chill ran through her body, like shock waves hitting every bit of her fiber. Goosebumps forming in every inch of her body specially on the back of her neck where she feels like there was a cold air breathing onto it. She opt herself to move, or atleast she was thinking to move and wipe the back of her neck with her palm but it was no use, she was rooted on her spot. Even her hands and her arms refuse to move a single muscle.

She tried to make a sound only to find out that even her vocal cords weren’t functioning. She couldn’t even groan. It mustve been . She thought.

In the corner of her eyes, she caught a glimpse of a shadow moving fast beside her. Like a wind that has a form. A black shadow gliding in the air as it refuse to stay out of her sight. She could feel it. She could sense it. And the feeling itself is like a thousand needles piercing through her skin. It stings her. It scares her.

She heard the door behind her closed with a loud sound as a strong wind blew from nowhere. The window is closed, so there’s no way it came from there. There’s no way for a wind that strong to come inside from a closed window. She told herself. When the wind hit her body, it shook off its trance and Amber was able to look behind her, where the door was and as expected it was close, shut closed. She swore she only turned her head around for a second, but as soon as she looked back at the box in front of her on the floor, it was already open, wide open for her to see.

“Holy crap.” She muttered under her breath. Fear was evident on her voice but she tried so hard to act as calmly as she can. She reminded herself that this wasn’t the first time she’s experienced weird and scary thing. This wasn’t the first time she got scared and her whole body was screaming for her to run but also this wasn’t the first time her curiosity gets the best of herself, so she found herself walking towards the box.

Amber looked around and called out for her dead grandmother. “Grandma, are you here? Grandma?” She was waiting for something, but what she don’t know. A sign probably for her to do something with the open box but none came. “Grandma? I know its you. Its you right? Do you want me to have this box? Or whatever’s inside it?” No one answered her but Amber still continued speaking to the room, or whatever it is that’s inside the room. “Do you want me to do something with it?”

She heard a shuffling sound coming from the box. She knelt down and examined the box. She wasn’t exactly sure what’s inside it but she knows everything in it. Like the Tarot Cards that her grandmother used a lot to foretell someone’s future, the smaller box where her grandmother store all the amulets and charms that she gives to those who need it and the board.. the board that she rarely seen her grandmother used before, that she doesn’t know exactly what for cause her grandmother never let her see her use it.

“Grandma? What do you want me to do with these? Grandma?” But the room did not answer back.

 

“Amber? Wake up… Amber honey..” She groaned as she felt her body being rocked of sleepiness.

“Mom?”  She asked as she slowly gained blurry sight of the person kneeling beside her.

“Why are you sleeping on the floor?” Confusion struck her and Amber immediately sat up, looking around the room which she later realized was hers. “How did I get here? I mean, shouldn’t I be inside grandma’s room?”

“Honey, you haven’t stepped inside mom’s room for a week now.”

“I was there earlier and there was this box..” Amber tried to dig her brain for more memories of what had happened earlier but the only thing she got was blur images of a box and a headache.

“Amber, are you okay?”  Her mother worriedly asked as she rubbed her temple.

“Nah, Im okay mom. Just a headache. Wait, why are you up here? Shouldn’t you be outside entertaining grandma’s visitors?”

“Honey, they all went home already.”

“Ohh..” 

“Well, if you can, go down and have dinner with us. Auntie Lau cooked your favorite.”

“Dinner?” Amber asked, more confused as ever. Shouldn’t it be lunch?

“Yes dear. I think you’ve slept for hours now. Its already 9 pm Amber.”

That gave Amber more head ache. She was never a deep sleeper more so to sleep for more than 5 hours never happen to her unless she’s going to take a sleeping pill.

“Youre tired Amber. We all are. So don’t feel guilty for over sleeping. “  Her mother said as if she can read her mind.

“Just go down when you feel better. I’ll just ask Auntie Lau to keep something for you.” And with that, her mother left her room.

She tried to think rationally, but she was sure that she went inside her grandma’s room so there’s no way she didn’t. Although she cant quite figure out what exactly happened and how she ended up being inside her room.

Amber heard her stomach grumbled and she remembered she hadn’t eaten any proper food for the last 7 days. She then decided to go and join her parents downstairs but when she was about to take a step out of the room, her foot hit something hard on the floor.

She stared at it for a minute before she realized what it is..

 

 

 

The box. Her Grandma’s box.