Chapter 7

Ouija Board

 

 

Amber stared at her Auntie Lau as the old woman study the board. “Have you done something with it?”

 

“Huh?” The young boyish woman asked, confused.

“The board. Did you do something with it? It seemed different since the last time I saw it.” Auntie Lau give her a long and hard look, as if scrutinizing her or something.

“I didn’t. I don’t even use it that much.”

The eyes of the old woman grew wider at Amber’s confession. “Youre using it? Without any supervision?” The young girl nodded. “But I didn’t do anything with it, I swear. Grandma’s just using it to communicate with me. She talks to me using the board.”

“And how are you sure that its youre grandma talking to you and not another ghost?”

“Auntie, I know there’s a ritual before using the board. I don’t know how to do that. Im not doing that. Grandma just moves the planchette on the letters to make a word, that’s just it. I swear.” The old woman still unconvinced but she let it go since the look on Amber’s face seemed to be telling the truth.

“I need to make a few calls first. With just us two, we cant do this alone. We need help.” Auntie Lau said before she left Amber in the room thinking to herself.

“I don’t have any other ghosts, right Gradma?” And a chair being pulled out under the dining table was her answer.

 

 

 

 


 

 

 

She had been back in Korea for two days and Auntie Lau told her to just wait for the help they requested from her Grandma’s long time friends. They had been living in different places now, so gathering them together will take time.

Bored, Amber took the Ouija board out and asked for her Grandma’s presence.

“Grandma, are you here?” The planchette moved and Amber knew her grandma’s there.

“Seriously, what is it you want me to do here?” Since they hadn’t had much time talking lately, Amber never really had the chance to ask.

The planchette started moving and he boyish girl watched intently as the wooden piece went to Letter T and A then to E.

“Tae? Is that a place? Taebaek perhaps?” Amber wondered to herself. Then she noticed that the planchette started moving again to Y and E then O and N.

“Yeon? What is that now? I don’t know a place that starts with Yeon, Grandma..” Amber scratched her head before her eyes grew wide at the realization. “Ahh.. You mean Taeyeon? Taeyeon, it’s a girl’s name, isn’t it?” The wooden piece moved to ‘Yes’.

“What should I do with her?” The planchette didn’t move again and it made Amber sighed. Every time her grandma doesn’t respond to her anymore, it leaves a hole in her heart; and unexplainable feeling of emptiness.

“So I guess, youre not here again Grandma..” Amber sighed again before collecting the bored and hiding it under her bed.

Her door opened and her Auntie Lau peeked inside through the gap. “Dinner’s ready, do you want to eat now or later?”

“Im not hungry yet Auntie, but you can eat whenever you want. Don’t wait up on me.”

“Okay then. “ And before the old woman leave, she mentioned, “Ohh and by the way, you do remember my grandson Henry, right?” Amber nodded.

“He’ll be coming over tomorrow. You two can catch up.” She smiled remembering how the two of them were inseparable when they were younger till Henry moved to U.S and now that both of them we’re now back to Korea again, they sure do have so much catching up to do.

“I miss that Snoopy too.” Amber admitted as she once again used their childhood pet names that made everybody think that theyre going to end up together someday.

“And he misses you too. Don’t forget to come down and have your dinner okay? Youre Grandma will scare me to death if she finds out im not taking care of you.” The joke made Amber laughed. She can totally imagine her Grandma scaring her Auntie Lau to her death with moving objects and eerie background sounds.

“Ohh Auntie Lau, do you happen to know someone named Taeyeon? You know, maybe one of Grandma’s loyal patrons or something..” Being reminded about her Grandma, she found the chance to ask about the name her Grandma just gave her earlier with the help of the Ouija board.

The old woman fell into deep thinking and her face brightened up that made Amber hopeful. “There’s one I know. Kim Taeyeon. She’s Kim Minyeon’s daughter, the one who always go here for a Tarot Card reading. And I think she was also here that day when we burry your Grandma. You know, that one I told you that’s claiming your Grandma went to see her when she’s been dead for a weak already? That Kim Taeyeon is one weird kid, I dare say.” Amber just kept on nodding her head. “But why did you suddenly asked?”

“Ohh nothing Auntie Lau, but I do remember that day although I haven’t seen her then. Do you, by any chance, have any contact with her? I just want to thank her for coming that day, personally.”

The old woman felt a bit odd as it had been weeks already and Amber suddenly brought the girl’s name out of nowhere but she didn’t question anymore, it was after all, not her business. “I can give you her mother’s phone number and address.”

“That would be great Auntie Lau. Thanks.” And the old woman left Amber alone again inside her room.

“Well, you cant really expect me to wait for that help to come, right?” Amber then decided that she needs to contact this Taeyeon girl, although she doesn’t know the real reason yet, but her grandma gave her the girl’s name, so its probably related to her unfinished business, right?