Chapter 5

Ouija Board

Amber was busy encoding in her laptop. She had been gone for a month and her work had filed up since the first week right after she came back, she had been busy finding out how to use the Ouija board and looking for someone who could help her with it.

She had been working since she woke up and she barely even move away from her study table since morning. Her weekend started off with work and she only had two days to finish all of it before their monthly review at the firm; working as the junior Lawyer doesn’t really give out the easiest task.

“Amber, come down and eat.”  Her mother yelled over. And Amber yelled back, telling her she’ll be downstairs in a minute which what she told her an hour ago.

A couple more tapping of her fingers in her keyboard and she was done. She immediately went downstairs to eat.

An hour later, she’s back again in her room; wanting to finish everything tonight to have a free day tomorrow to see her girlfriend whom she had only visited twice last week.

Expecting to see a messy room, she was surprise to see it clean; files were all organized on top of her table, her suitcase was beside her bed and her dirty clothes that was laying around the floor earlier was now neatly folded in one corner of her room.

“What the..” She scanned the whole room again and rubbed her eyes, making sure that she wasn’t just imagining it and she was indeed seeing it correctly.

There’s no way her parents cleaned it out for her since they were all together in the dining area earlier.

“Grandma?”  She asked out, thinking it was her grandma’s ghost, no, it was her grandma.. It was only her grandma who always cleans her room like this. And besides, she has no other ghost other than her grandma.

She immediately spotted the board on top of her bed as she walked farther inside her room.

“Grandma? Why cant you just talk to me while Im asleep?” Amber whined, she prefers to see her grandma and talk to her in her dreams than staring at the board, waiting for the small wooden piece to move which was what occupied her the previous week. But her grandma hadn’t visited her in her sleep so she desnt really have much options, does she?

“Grandma, I have work to finish.” She whined, throwing her work files a glance. “Can we do the waiting later? Ohh ..” Amber stumbled down; tripping on her own foot as she the clear book she was working on earlier moved up in the air, as if something invisible was lifting it up and even placed it in front of her laptop.

The boyish girl gathered herself from the floor, eyes still wide open and mouth agape. Gulping, she walked towards her table. She jumped back when her  chair moved; as if telling her to sit ad she did. Blinking once, twice; she stared at her laptop screen that suddenly to where she had left off earlier.

“Ahh err.. Thanks Grandma..” She managed to say.

Amber started working uncomfortably, she knows her grandma was there somewhere inside her and she feels like whatever her grandma wants to tell her was way more important than her work.  

She turned her swivel chair around and talked, “Grandma, why cant you just type in the laptop what you want to tell me?” She might’ve looked stupid, talking t no one in the room but expecting for a response she know she wont get.

“Fine.. I’ll just finish this work later..” Amber said in defeat, knowing she wont be able to focus on her work when her mind was field with other things. She jumped away from her chair when she heard her laptop turned off.

“Geez grandma..  Your scaring me sometimes..”  Amber said as she clenched her chest. “I know I need to get use to this but heck, its still scary you know..”

She closed the door and locked it. She doesn’t understand why, but she feels like she need to do it for privacy or for safety, which she’s not really sure what.

She waited and waited till the planchet moved and headed towards letter K. “K?” Amber asked aloud. The woodedn piece moved again and went to the word “Yes.”

“What’s with K?” Amber think harder but nothing came up in her head. “Ohh wait.. My girlfriend’s name starts with K.. But nah.. you dont know her so it cant possibly about her.” Amber shook her head and smiled at her own stupidity.

The planchet started moving again and this time it went to letter O.

“Ko?”  Amber’s brows creased even more as she cannot think of anything that starts with Ko.

The wooden pieced moved again to letters R and E.. “Kore…” Amber heard a knock on her door that interrupted her from her thinking. It was her dad.

“Hey Kiddo, Im going out to buy Ice cream, you want one?” Amber rolled her eyes, sometimes her dad just have the worst timing ever.

“Dad.. You know how I love ice cream; do you really need to ask that?” Her father scratched the back of his neck and stuck his tongue out; something Amber inherited.

“Okay, I guess chocolate will do.” Amber shook her head as she walked back to her bed.

“Mom…..” She yelled and her mother and father came barging inside her room in a second as they knew what had been happening in Amber’s life lately.

“What’s wrong honey?”  Her mother asked as she stood next to her; eyes falling onto the board on Amber’s bed. She saw how the planchet was pointing at the letter A..

 

“Mom, I think Grandma wants me to go back to Korea.”