Chapter 22

Ouija Board

Amber woke up feeling a hand her hair.

She had stayed awake all night reading the Book of Charms for something else that can help her resolve their problem about the amulet. She hasnt talked to Sooyoung yet and she has no idea if the couple had already talked to the people involve -- Sunny's family.

Her grandma visited her again in her dreams when she fell asleep some time in the middle of the night but it was just a short conversation between them since the nurse who saw her sleeping on the floor woke her up. Its the second time that she had been walking in her sleep because the last time she remembered before seeing her grandma standing beside Krystal's bed was she was sitting on the chair across the bed.

The only supplement thing she got from her grandma was, "Soon, everything will be over soon."

She wanted to ask how soon is that but the next thing she knew was the nurse waking her up.

And as the said nurse finished her routinely checkup on Krystal, Amber buried herself again in the book, reading it over and over again.

"Good morning."  Krystal greeted her weakly.

She rubbed the sleepiness off her eyes and smiled back at her sick girlfriend. She reached out to hold Krystal's hand and she smiled, seeing how her girlfriend isnt pale today.

"How are you feeling?" She asked.

"Better now since youre here." But ofcourse, Amber knew it was the opposite and she cant help but feel sad abut it.

"Okay, its so early in the morning, can we just skip to the part where you kiss me?" She knew her face didnt hide her sadness that well, and the fact that Krystal knows her well doesnt help either. But for the sake of her girlfriend, she put on a happy face; it was only a mask but atleast somehow, seeing Krystal alive is already enough for her to be happy. And she knows that.

Amber obliged herself and traversed the gap between them to kiss Krystal. It felt like they hadnt kissed for so long as there's an odd longing inside her chest; like as if yes, Krystal is alive but is barely living and despite having Krystal next to her, Amber felt like her girlfriend is still at the other other side of the earth, far, unreachable.

The door opened then, the sound pulled them apart and soon both were cradling a red face when Mr. and Mrs. Jung apologized for interrupting them.

"Its okay Auntie, I should head home anyway. I'll just see Krystal again later." Amber said when Krystal's mom invited her to have breakfast with them. She hadnt seen her parents for days since she's all busy re-reading the Book of Charms and other books that can help her and Sooyoung with the Amulet.

She then bid her girlfriend and her family goodbye and headed to the elevator. She thought of dropping by Sooyoung's office but the idea slipped her mind when someone rode the lift with her. 

At first, she wasnt paying attention to the young lady standing next to her, but then something happened. The girl walked pass through the elevator door after telling her, "I know you can see me."

She didnt see the girl's face yet it struck her curiosity on. If it happened before the things connected to her grandma, she probably wouldve freaked out. 

The door stopped at the fourth floor even though she didnt press it, not even the ghost. Curiosity got the best of her when she walked out of the elevator and walked along the hallway without any destination. Soon, few feet away from her, a door creaked opened. 

She looked around but found no one in the corridor which is so unlikely considering the time.

"Hello? Excuse me...." She called out when she pushed the door open but no one answered. The light switched on and she saw  a body lying on the bed with machines linked to its small frame.

She was about to walk towards the bed when she almost jumped out of her skin when someone talked behind her. "She's not waking up. Even how many times everyone tried to wake her up." It was the girl from the lift. And despite looking at her, face to face, the girl is strangely a blur to Amber.

"You know her?" The girl just nodded.

"And youre the only one who can end her misery." Amber was confused, how can she be responsible for another life when she already has three in her hands -- Krystal, Sunny and the person who needs to sacrifice himself in order for Sunny to live.

"Excuse me?"

Amber didnt hear what the girl said when she felt she's being in a black hole and her body was shaking intensely, someone is trying to shake her body up, she's not so sure.

"Where am I?" She asked as soon as Jessica's face came into her focus.

"In my sister's room." The older girl answered.

"What am I doing here?" 

"You tell me..." Jessica crossed her arms as soon as their both standing at the edge of the bed. "What are you doing here?"

"I have no idea. I swear. The last thing I remembered was walking into the elevator to go home. Oh my god, I mustve fallen asleep." Amber told Jessica who doesnt look convinced. "And you just happened to sleep walk towards my sister's room?"

"Would you believe me if I tell you I did?" Jessica stared her and the only thing Amber wanted at the moment was vanish from the older girl's sight. She finds Jessica very intimidating and she doesnt understand why.

Their attention went to the monitor that beeped. Then Amber's eyes fell on the table next to the machine that keeps Jessica's sister alive. A picture frame was on it. 

"Oh my god..." At first Amber coudnt believe it herself so she walked to the table and picked the picture frame up. To her surprise, she dropped the frame that shattered into pieces and looked at the patient on the bed. "How can this be real?"