Chapter 4

Ouija Board

“So..” Amber begun as she stood towering over the board and the heart shape wood she found out to be called as a planchet on top of her bed. “Youre a Ouija board and youre used to call upon ghosts of dead people, to communicate with them. Now that’s… I don’t know, cool I guess.”  Amber tilted her head as she finds it rather confusing and amazing how the 2x2 feet board can be so useful in a spiritual way; talk to the person you love that passed away, how cool is that?

“I need to know how to use this one.” The boyish 25 year old girl tapped her chin as she tries to figure out what to do with it. She already tried once earlier, by putting the heart shaped wooden piece on top of the board but nothing happened. Her talk with her Auntie Lau was not fruitful and if anything, all she got was a lot of sermons and warnings about the board.

Amber snapped her fingers as she remembered a tool that can help her.  “The internet.” She said aloud and without wasting any more time, she jumped onto her study table and opened her laptop. Her fingers were put immediately into work; typing the words on the keyboard.

“Hmmm..” She hummed as tons of sites came up from her search. Since she doesn’t know what site to open, she just randomly clicked on one and it turned out to be about its history. After skimming the site, she went onto another and another and another. She found it rather useless since she didn’t find what she’s really looking for. Some sites were about movies that has Ouija board in it, and some were just non-sense blogs. Of all the sites she’s opened, she hasn’t found one that says exactly how she’s going to use the board. Tapping her chin as she leaned back to her chair; something came up in her head. Amber typed some words again and found the sites she’s been meaning to go; Youtube.

There were some video clips that showed how Ouija board has been used in movies and in games but none was about how exactly to use it; step by step. Some more videos and all Amber was able to gather was how to start calling upon a dead person’s ghost right after placing a finger on the small wooden piece.

Exasperated, Amber decided to stop searching. She had gone through all sites the search engine has to offer and she got nothing other than its history and scary movies she hasn’t watched before.

“I need to find someone who knows how to use this properly.”  She told herself as she glanced back to the board on top of her bed.

She leaned back to the chair again and closed her eyes for a while till she opened it again after hearing a faint sound coming from her bed’s direction.

“Hello honey..” Amber was already onto her foot; literally jumping off her chair as she looked straight at her Grandmother’s ghost. She was rendered speechless how the old woman she knew all her life still looks so beautifully unchanged despite the fact that she’s now very translucent.

“I didn’t raise you to be impolite Amber.” There’s softness in the dead Elder Liu’s voice Amber miserably had missed that she suddenly cried. “Grandma..” The boyish girl walked towards her ever loving grandma and tried to reach for the outstretched hand for her to hold but got disappointed when her hand merely passed through it.

“Im dead now Amber.” A fact that Amber doesn’t want to hear anymore.

“But a part of you is still is.” Amber replied, wiping her tears away since her grandmother wont be able to do that anymore for her.

“But not for long.” The elder Liu said and when she saw confusion in her granddaughter’s eyes, she added, “I need to crossover soon. As much as I want to stay here and be with you, I cant.”

“Why not?” Amber felt foolish for asking.

“Because that’s just life is. Or death, in my case.” Amber’s grandma moved and it looked like she was gliding in the air to Amber’s amazement.

“But I cant crossover since I still have an unfinished business here on earth.”

“What is it grandma?” The elder Liu opened but all Amber hear was her mother’s voice calling her name. “Amber.. Amber.. Wake up.. Amber..”

Amber opened her eyes and her mother caressing her hair greeted her. “Are you not going to eat dinner?”

The boyish girl looked around as if she’s going to see her grandmother still standing in the middle of her room which she had figured to be just her dream.

“What time is it?” Amber asked groggily.

“7. You must be working pretty hard here since you didn’t even eat lunch.” Her mother peeked over Amber’s shoulder to see the screen of her laptop which the latter immediately shut close.

“I’ll just clean up here then I’ll come down mom.” Amber stood up and saw her mother looking straight at her bed; at the Ouija Board to be exact.

“Amber, why do you have mother’s board?” Mrs. Liu asked confused; remembering how they buried the board along with her mother’s other stuff inside the casket.

“Grandma gave it to me.”

“Ohh my god.. No.. No.. No..” Amber’s mother shook her head furiously as she paced the room. “She said she’s not going to pass our legacy on you Amber, she promised. She promised that youre going to have a normal life.”

“Mom, what are you talking about?” Amber took a hold of her mother’s arm and made her face her. “What legacy?”

“Witchcrafty. You know youre grandma is, right? I have no power like hers so..”

“So you think it jumped onto me, is that it?” Amber’s mother nodded. “But mom, grandma didn’t teach me anything. During my 20 years of stay under her care, Grandma never let me touch her things. So I don’t think she had plans on passing any legacy to me.”

“Then why do you have the board?”

“Actually not just the board.” Mrs. Liu’s brow creased and Amber stood up and took the small box under her bed. Her mother’s eyes widened as she saw the familiar box.

“The night when we buried Grandma.. I went to her room, and she gave me this box. Not really personally since she didn’t show herself till earlier.”

“Wait what, you saw mother?” Amber nodded and replied, “In my dreams. She talked to me in my dreams mom and I think she needs my help.”

“Help with what?”

“I would’ve known if you didn’t wake me up.” Amber tiredly sat on her bed, her mother followed; picking up the board and hugging it.

“Sorry honey. I didn’t know.”

“Its okay mom.” Then there was silence between them. “Grandma said she still have one unfinished business here so she cant crossover.” Amber’s mother just nodded.

“Do you know how to use the board?”

“No, do you?” Amber’s mother shook her head and both at the same time, heaved a heavy sigh.

“We need to find someone who can.”