Chapter I

Ouija Board

She never thought that the reason of going back to the place would be this. She wasn’t ready yet. No, she wasn’t just yet. Being closest to her grandmother, Amber Josephine Liu took it the hardest. The sudden death of the person who took care of her for 20 years was now gone. And until today, she’s still not ready to let her grandmother go.

“Grandma.. Grandma..”  Amber cried her heart out as she hugged the coffin.

“Amber.. Let go.. Let go..  They need to burry mother now.” Amber’s father said as he pulled his daughter away from the coffin but the boyish girl didn’t let go.

“Im going to make sure whoever did this to you will pay Grandma.. I promise you.”

It was useless to argue though, it was an accident and the car that accidentally hit her grandmother fell on the cliff and only an 23 year old girl had survived but was in critical condition and might die anytime now so there’s  no one to blame for the elder Liu’s death, really.

After the funeral, Amber’s family stayed at the old mansion where she stayed before while her parents were in abroad till they decided to take her 5 years ago. 20 years that it was her grandmother who took care of her and now she’s dead and the mansion seemed like it died along with her grandmother as well.

It looks so creepy now than she remembered. The mansion seemed liked it was abandoned for years although its only been a week that her grandmother had passed away.

They weren’t that rich, in fact the old mansion was the only thing that remained in Liu’s wealth before Amber’s grandfather died when she was 5. Her grandmother’s pension and with the help of her parents, they were able to keep and maintained the place but what now, what are they going to do with the big house now?

Surely, they cant sell it, the Liu’s are too sentimental for that but their work and life lies ocean’s away from the mansion and they cant just simply leave everything back there. But still, someone should stay to make sure that the mansion will be looked after, and Amber knew it should be her.

A knock on the door disturbed the 25 year old boyish girl from reminiscing her past with her grandmother, but she was too exhausted to get off the couch; she was too weak to care.

“Who was it Auntie?”  She asked their longest housemaid who alongside her grandmother, raised her.

“A young lady who’s looking for your grandma.”

“Did she say what she wants from her?”

“She said your grandma gave her something. Odd because she keeps on insisting that your grandmother came to their house yesterday.”

Amber should’ve found it weird, scary even. Its been 7 days since the elder Liu died and there’s someone saying that she saw her yesterday, but then again, if its about her grandmother she’ll definitely believe it. It mustve been out of desperation or she’s just plainly going crazy, but who cares, who knows, maybe her grandmother did came to that woman.

But why not to her?

Wanting to know the answer, Amber rushed out of the manor after her Auntie told her what the lady looked like. But with the amount of people gathered in front of the mansion, no one matched the description.

Defeated, Amber walked towards her mother who was talking two women. As she reached them, the women already bid her mother goodbye and Amber was not able to see their faces.

 “Grandma’s patrons?” Amber queried and a nod was her answer.

“They were not in the funeral, right?”

“No, they just arrived from the city and they just found out what happened to your grandmother today.”

“Ohh..” Before Amber forget why she was out in their lawn, she swept the place again for one last time. “Ahh, Mom, do you happen to see a short blonde woman?” When her mother shook her head, Amber decided to go back inside the house.  How is she going to break it to her mother anyway? How is she going to tell her mother that her grandmother’s ghost probably came and meet someone yesterday? That would be absurd to hear, but not to Amber though, she has heard and seen at lot of absurdities for the past 20 years that its now all normal for her.

Once back inside the mansion, Amber decided to have a tour around the place. Something she was not able to do for the past 7 days because she was too busy talking to the people who went to her grandma’s wake.

It was all the same, nothing had been altered nor changed. The furniture wasn’t moved and in the wall was still the same human-sized paintings and photo frames that her grandfather hung himself.

She didn’t realize that she reached her grandmother’s room. Her hand was trembling as she held the knob. She was contemplating whether to open it or not but decided it would be good for her not to see any of her grandmother’s things for now. But when she was about to take a step away from the room, she hear a thud sound, like there’s something fell inside the room.

She looked around.

She could’ve just imagined it, but her instinct was telling her otherwise. So with all her curiosity and false-pretense courage, she went inside and found a box in the middle of the room.

Odd it is because the box that was lying on the floor was not supposed to be inside the room. No, it was not supposed to be there at all, for Amber was sure that the box she was looking at was the same box she had buried along with her grandmother’s dead body.

So how come it was there? How the hell did it get there?