Shock

Fine Line

"Are you sure you'll be okay going in by yourself Ms. _________________?" the driver in the front turned his head around and looked at me from over his shoulder. I gave him a quick nod before opening the door.

"I'll be fine, don't worry. It's a hospital so at least if anything happens to me, I'll be okay. Kinda. I guess."
"I'm not sure if that makes me feel any better."
I gave him a smile as I stepped out of the car, being careful not to bump my arm into anything. "I promise I'll be back here in about an hour without a single scratch on me. Don't worry!" I shut the door and waved as the car drove off. People in different colored scrubs and doctor's jackets walked past me on my way in, some of them strolling casually in while other ran inside frantically. I took a deep breath as I walked through the hospital's lobby. It felt great to be back inside a medical environment...even though I was here as a visitor and not an employee.

I pulled out my phone and punched in Luhan's number. The phone only rang twice before he picked up.
"You're here?"
I pulled the phone away from my ear and gave it a face, as if he could actually see it. Hello to you too.
"Yeah..." I drew out the word as I rounded the corner, almost running head first into a doctor speed walking in the other direction. "Which room are you in?"
"807."
"The 8th floor??"
"No. The 8 in the front is just there for decoration."

There was so much sarcasm in his response that it almost made me want to run up to his room and back slap him across the face.

"Shut up. I'll be right here," I hung up and shoved my phone back into my pocket before I got onto the elevator. It dinged open on the 8th floor and I walked out onto the polished white floors, my eyes scanning the numbers above the doors as I pass them.
807 was all the way down the hall at the very end. My hospital volunteer skills instantly kicked in the second I stopped in front of the door.

Knock twice first, then open the door.
Standard hospital procedure.

"Hello?" I opened the the door and stepped in, half expecting to see Luhan laying in bed, completely knocked out. But as usual, this guy was already up and out of bed despite the injuries that he took during the fight with my dad.
"Well you seem fine," I walked up to him, silently cringing internally at all the bandages on his body and around his arms. He shrugged, nodding at my arm sling. "And so do you."

Touche.
Even when he's hospitalized, he still never misses a beat.

I rolled my eyes at him before throwing the envelopes with all the documents at his chest. He caught them, wincing a little from the impact of his hands pressing the envelopes against his body to keep them from slipping out from underneath him.
"You couldn't have handed them to me?" He shook his head as he let them slide onto his bed.
"I mean, since you're ok enough to get out of bed and walk around, I figured catching a few envelopes shouldn't be too hard," I raised an eyebrow at him, hoping he caught my drift and got back into bed.

As usual, he probably did catch onto what I was saying.
But as usual, he probably wasn't gonna actually listen.

Instead, he ignored me and focused on the envelopes, his hand slowly undoing one of the clasps then reaching in and pulling out the documents inside. The bright red "confidential" stamp was the first thing he saw. Then his eyes focused on the numbers in the background. I could tell his mind was going over calculations and processing everything even as we stood there in silence. Luhan moved from envelope to envelope at an almost inhuman pace, throwing aside the documents that were currently in his hands then bringing out more, his eyes continuously scanning the papers. After he scattered the documents from the last envelope onto the bed, I watched his shoulders relax and his head bend forward.

Almost as if he was giving up on something.

"What just happened?" I asked, looking down at all the red stamps then back at him. His face looked blank. "What'd you find?"
All Luhan could do was shake his head.
For once he was speechless, which definitely was not a good sign.
"Luhan, talk to me," I nudged him a bit from the side and snapped loudly in front of his face but still nothing happened. Ok, by this point, I was getting seriously freaked out.

"It doesn't make sense," he finally muttered under his breath. I leaned forward a bit more, trying to get as close to his face as possible without actually touching it so I could hear him better.
"What doesn't make sense? Luhan, you kinda have to explain yourself if other people are gonna understand what the heck you-"
"None of this makes sense!" His head snapped back up and he pointed at the document covered bed. "I went over the calculations in my head countless of times and none of them make sense to me! These numbers aren't adding up and matching up to the ones listed in the official company database!"
"What does that even mean??" I watched him pace back and forth, his face scrunching more with confusion by the second. 

"It means that your grandfather was cheating people out of the full amount the bank was giving to them. He basically lied to them and got them to sign fake settlements, stealing their money straight from their accounts right under their noses and using them for his own personal reasons. Whatever he did seriously screwed over some families financially."

"Including mine," Mark's voice came from the doorway. I whipped my head around and let out a small gasp. His red hair looked almost as if it was actually on fire and his face looked furious.


Author's Note
chapter title: Shock-BEAST [x]
the story is now entering it's finishing stages! hopefully i can wrap it up before my winter break ends haha xD
but sorry for the hiatus everyone! it was finals season recently for me so i didn't have much time to think about the story and get over my writer's block. but finals are done and my writer's block is kinda gone so more updates should come! :)