Confession

Fine Line

"I'm too scared. Mark, you open it."
"I can't. The guy said your mom said that only you could look at it."
"But-"
"Oh my gosh, someone just open it!" Jackson called from the kitchen, walking out of it with a steaming bowl of ramen in his hands. The second he sat down with the rest of us, Eric immediately grabbed the chopsticks sticking from the bowl and slurped some up. Jackson threw him a death glare.
"Dude don't be touchin my ramen. Being sad literally saps all my energy away so I actually need this."
Eric rolled his eyes, "Whatever you say man."

"Focus people," Kevin snapped his fingers in front of their faces, "someone still has to open that envelope and we all know who it has to be."
"_______________ just open it," Henry pushed the envelope towards me again. "If it makes things any better, we'll all look away."
"No it's fine," I took it off the table, feeling it get heavier and heavier with every passing minute. "I mean...whether I'm scared or not, it has to be opened eventually."

I flipped the envelope over, undid the metal clasp holding the flap down, reached in, and pulled out the paper that I felt inside.
"Will and testiment," I read off of it, letting my eyes scan down the page. It was blank.
"Why would my mom label a blank piece of fancy paper as confidential?" I turned it around, hoping to see something written on the back. Nothing was there.
"Maybe she put in the wrong one?" Eric shrugged, picking up the envelope off the ground. Peniel took it from him and looked inside.
"Oh my gosh guys. There's something written on the inside!"

"No freakin way," Jackson leaned in as Peniel opened the mouth of the envelope wider, "Holy crap there's actualy something in there."
He took the envelope out of Peniel's hand and ripped it open along the edges, spreading it out onto the table. Written on the inside, in big, black letters was the word "LIGHT".

"What the heck does that even mean?" Henry asked, looking over Eric's shoulder. He had a confused expression on his face but before he could say anything else, Mark took the will out of my hands and held it up the light.

Words suddenly appeared on the paper.

"Oh my gosh," I whispered out, tilting my head back to read it. "_______________, if you're reading this that probably means something has happened to me. Don't be sad, and definitely do not blame yourself for whatever happened. It's not your fault. Just know that I'm so proud of everything that you've done and that I'll always be with you no matter what happens."

I didn't even notice the tears falling down my face until Mark's fingers wiped them away. I guess by now I was already used to them.

"You want me to read the rest and tell you what's on it?"
I shook my head, gently pushing away Mark's outstretched hand. This was definitely something I had to do on my own.
"There's something I have kept from you your whole life, _______________. I tried to keep this from you so that you could at least live the life that you want, so please don't be mad at mom. I'm sorry for hiding this from you, and even now, I'm sorry that I can't tell you even in this letter. This is something that I can't write down just in case this ever falls into the wrong hands."

"Ok this is getting weird," Jackson said softly from across the table, his half eaten bowl of ramen left abandoned on the table.

I brought the paper closer to my face so that I could see the last remaining words, "This must be really shocking and confusing for you. I'm so sorry that I can't help you through this but this is something that you must find on your own. Be careful, ______________, and remember, sometimes the answer you're looking for is in your heart."

I put the letter on my lap, trying to process what I just read. Nothing was really clicking inside my head.
"So according to your mom," Eric finally broke the silence, "she kept some super big secret from you that may or may not change your entire life, and she expects you to go find out whatever this secret is?"
"I....think so?" I stuttered out, flipping the letter in my hands. "I mean, unless I totally missed something in this letter, that's pretty much what she said."
"Dude this is so strange," Henry sighed out, resting his arm on Kevin's shoulder who nodded.
"I agree. It's weird that your mom would leave you that note and not even tell you where to start looking for whatever this secret is."

"Wait!" Mark took the letter from my hands and held it up to the light again. "I think she did tell you where to start though. Look over here."
I followed to where his finger was and read the words that he was pointing at, "...sometimes the answer you're looking for is in your heart? How is that an answer?"
"Your mom used to always wear a necklace. I asked her about it once when I was really little, but I....don't really remember what she told me. All I really remember is that the necklace looked like a heart."
"I asked her about it once too. She told me that it was some family thing, but I don't know if it's actually gonna help us."
Mark stood up and extended his hand towards me. I looked at him then back at his hand before slowly sliding mine into his. He pulled me up while the rest of the guys stood up.

"There's only one way to find out."


Author's Note
chapter title: Confession-Standing Egg [x]
break is ending for me soon T.T i'll try to update as much as I can before school starts up again!