This Road

Fine Line

"Is it always this suffocating here?" I asked the guy as I followed him into the parking lot. I saw him finally crack a smile after almost 16 hours of being in a small plane together. Then again, all I was really interested in when we were flying was watching every movie I had missed because of exams, catching up on my sleep, and eating all the food they brought out. We didn't really say much to each other so I guess it was normal that I haven't seen him smile yet.

"Welcome to Taiwan," he said, plopping my stuff into the trunk of the car then closing it before walking over to the driver's side. "It's April so it rains more than usual. Plus, humidity like this isn't really something that's considered abnormal here."
"I'm from New York. Humidity like this over there would start a city-wide panic."

We both got into the car and sat in silence for most of the drive into Taipei. The radio played softly in the background as the scenery changed into a more familiar one of tall skyscraper buildings, cars and buses crowding the streets, and people walking everywhere. But even if the atmosphere reminded me of NYC, Taiwan was so much different. I mean...other than the fact that it's half way around the world. I looked like the people who were walking around on the sidewalks, carrying groceries or strolling around with shopping bags on their arms, but I felt like a stranger. I probably scream "foreigner" to them. 

Tp be honest, I don't even what I'm suppose to be doing here.
I just blindly followed my mom's ticket and boarded a plane that took me to a place where I don't know anyone and I barely speak and understand the language.
Plus, I don't even know this guy who was driving me right now. For all I know, he could be some creepo taking me to some equally as creepy and weird place.

"Uhhhhh....so where are we going?" I asked, switching around the radio stations casually while stealing a couple looks at his face. Even his poker face was pretty cute. 
"You'll see," he answered, keeping his eyes on the road ahead of him. "We're almost there anyways. Don't worry, it's not anywhere creepy or weird."

I had to tell myself to close my mouth after it flew open automatically at how accurately he read my mind.
I have to be careful around this one.

"So if we're almost there, why don't you just tell me?" I retorted, turning my attention back to the city scenery around me. The little shops and street vendors have all disappeared and replaced with tall, glass buildings. It looked like we just turned into the Wall Street of Taipei. It was seriously all businesses and banks as far as I could see through the windshield. 
"Because I think by now, you could probably guess where I'm taking you."
"The CE Bank headquarters? Since the regular looking CE Banks seem to be spawning up like every other block?" I asked, watching another one flash by us. That was like the fifth one to show up this entire drive.
"Close," he answered with another smile, finally pulling up next to another glass paneled, ridiculously tall building and stopping the car. Through the reflection on his sunglasses, I could see the huge, gold logo hanging from the front of the building.
"What do you mean I'm 'close'? That's the CE logo. I was right. " I pointed at it as I got out of the car. I watched the guy talk to another man in a fancy looking suit, who came out to greet him.
"You're like 80% right," he walked back over to me, shoving his hands into his pockets as he stood beside me. For the first time since we met, I realized how tall he was and just how big his eyes are. No wonder I try to avoid eye contact. Him staring at you was like as if he was staring into your soul.

And not in the mushy, romantic way.
Like the "I know all your secrets" kinda way.

"Luhan, he's ready to see you," the fancy suit guy told him after getting off the phone. He motioned at the doors, bending down and bowing as I followed Luhan in.
Dang, Taiwanese people are super polite.

"You're name is Luhan huh?" I trailed him into the lobby of the building, taking only a split second to gawk at everything. I thought I was in a hotel. Like for a split second, I forgot I was standing in the lobby of some business headquarters.
"I never told you my name?" Luhan flashed me a slightly confused look as we climbed a small flight of stairs to get to the elevators.
"Apparently not."
"Well at least now you know."
"Were you ever gonna tell me?" We got into the elevator after it dinged and slid open its doors. He pushed the button for the very top floor. "And who's this guy who's ready to see us?"

Silence.
He definitely wasn't gonna tell me without more nagging.
But then again, I'd be even more creeped out if he answered my questions straight up.
I opened my mouth to ask again, but the elevator doors opened before I could even form words. Luhan stepped out and gestured at the huge, decorated door we were now standing in front of.

"All your questions will be answered. Just go in and find out for yourself."


Author's Note
chapter title: This Road (Co.no.mi.chi)-Buono! [x]
disclaimer! i've never been to taiwan so i have no idea how the city actually looks or if there's even a business district in taipei haha xD but for the sake of the fic, let's pretend that taipei has one lol. 
and in celebration of finally introducing the second male lead character, LUHAN, the ending picture for this chapter is gonna be him :)