History

Fine Line

"What is his deal?" I threw myself onto the hotel bed, feeling the blankets and bed envelope me in. This was definitely the most comfortable hotel room I've stayed in. King sized bed, sitting area, mini kitchen, full bathroom with a tub and a shower, and a kick view of Taipei. Yup. I could totally get used to this.

I mean afterall....the only relative I know who's alive is the CEO of one of the biggest financial businesses in the world.
No big deal.

"Why won't anyone tell me anything? I thought coming to Taiwan would clear up some questions but it just hatched open more!" I picked myself up and caught Luhan's eye. He was slowly walking around the sitting area that was in front of the bed with a hand up to his mouth as if he was thinking about something. Silence hung in the air. All I could hear was the faint noise of traffic down below, with the occassional car beeps and the low roar of a motor. Everything sounded exactly like New York. I let the homesickness swallow me in, feeling the tears well up in my eyes. I should've let Mark come. I should've listened to him. Why did I think I could get everything figured out on my own?

The bed suddenly moved underneath me, meaning Luhan had planted himself on it right next to me. Literally every single time I look at that boy, I have to remind myself that I have a boyfriend.

"So how much do you know already?" he said, his eyes looking straight into mine. His eye contact was so legit. I sighed, closing my eyes and shuffling through the memories of these past months and spitting them back out to Luhan. He nodded at every single sentence, almost as if he was mentally checking it off from a list.
"And now I'm all the way in Taiwan, suddenly discovering that my grandpa is the CEO of CE. I actually still don't even know what CE stands for," I finished, turning my attention back to the bedsheets. 
"CE stands for Celestial Enterprises," Luhan responded. "Your grandfather wanted your mom to marry someone for business reasons, but she didn't want to marry someone she didn't love so she ran off. She gave up her rights to the company, which is probably why she's never told you anything about CE. And since she was Mr. CEO's only child, he was left without an heir," he paused, glancing over at me, "until now."

"Whoa, wait!" I sprang off of the bed like it caught on fire or something. "No one said anything about being an heir to anything. And how the heck do you know all of this anyways?"
Luhan got off the bed and walked over to me, staring me down with his big, brown eyes, "If you haven't noticed yet, I'm around your grandpa a lot, meaning he tells me things. More things than he should, but he's the CEO so I'm not gonna tell him to keep his mouth shut when he's drunk and some family secret comes spilling out."
"So he's told you all that before? Even when he was.....drunk," I swallowed at that last word, almost tasting bile in my mouth as bad memories of my drunk dad coming home late. Focus on Luhan, _______________. Don't get distracted.
Luhan ran his hand through his hair, letting out a sigh that made his broad shoulder move up and down, "More or less. I pieced most of the info together myself since he's not the most literate drunk. I'm pretty sure he doesn't know that I know all this so..."

He put one slender finger up to his mouth, letting out a soft shushing sound and a wink.
My heart beat a bit faster....much to my dismay.

I shook my head a little, trying to pass it off as a small head twitch, but I think he caught on since I saw a smirk starting to tug at his lips.
"What else do you know then?" I asked, trying to get the conversation back before the chance to finally get some answers disappered. Luhan leaned on the edge of the desk, his profile literally teasing me with its perfection.
"Depends on what you want to know."
"Seriously?"
He turned his head a little and raised an eyebrow at my question. "What?"
"This is way too easy. There's no way you're just gonna tell me these things."

The smirk that was playing on his lips before turned into a full smile as he let out a soft laugh. "I'm not your mom __________________. Your psychotic dad has no idea who I am and what I know so it doesn't really matter if I just straight up tell you."

He was right. He's not my mom.
All the puzzles and crazy twists and turns were necessary to protect me and all the information about my mother's family, but that was because my dad could've gotten access to them.
I'm in Taiwan. There's no way my dad's here.

"Ok. Start talking then."
"I already told you. It depends on what you wanna know."
I stared at his face for the longest time while trying to think about a question, but my mind kept drawing blanks. There was no way I had no more questions though. Why the heck did my brain have to malfunction on me at a time like this??
My eyes darted around the room as I dug around in my head for something to ask him, hoping that something would trigger my memory.

And that something was sitting there on the desk. Even with its back to me, I recognized a desk calendar when I saw one.
"21," I finally said, catching Luhan's attention again. "I wanna know what's so special about me turning 21."
"You mean other than you being legally old enough to drink back in the States?"
"I'm being serious Luhan," I planted myself in front of him, forcing myself to hold his eye contact. "Everyone I met keeps telling me that if I'm not careful, a lot people could get hurt or die. And that all apparently comes down to what happens when I turn 21. Now spill. What is it with my 21st birthday?"

"Your grandpa is gonna tell you the same thing later. When he does, promise me that you'll act surprised cause I'm not suppose to tell you this."
"I'm pretty sure you weren't allowed to tell me anything and yet here we are."
"Just promise me. And try not to freak out too much."
"Try me."
He raised his eyebrow at me again, but this time, I saw traces of him being impressed linger on his face. "Fine, but don't say I didn't tell you so."

Luhan took a deep breath, exhaling in a way that would make a world class yoga instructor jealous. His brown eyes lost every bit of warmth they once held as they met mine again. I shivered involuntarily.
"On your 21st birthday, you're going to be standing in front of a crowd of people and cameras broadcasting to the entire country and the internet. You have to let the whole world know whether or not you wanna take over CE and become the righful heir."


Author's Note
chapter title: Histroy-EXO [x]