Suddenly

Fine Line

"Here they are," the police officer had brought me back up to my grandpa's office and pointed at a couple of large envelopes that were laying on the coffee table, which seemed to be the only thing in this room that made it out of the fight without a scratch on it.
I sidestepped the fallen books and ducked under the bright yellow caution tape. The closer I got, the more suspicious I became of the envelopes. The officers had found them tucked away in a hidden safe behind one of the bookshelves while they were doing a full sweep of the crime scene. The fact that they were hidden in the first place made me more cautious as I continued to walk towards them.

My grandpa must've hidden them for a reason. 
Whatever that reason may be.

"Are these all of them?" I slowly asked, finally reaching the table. I stared down at the envelopes and the big, bold, red letters that read "private" stared right back at me.
Ok. Even more suspicious now.
"Those are all the ones we found in the safe."
"Okay. Thank you."

I picked one up and undid the metal clasp that held it closed. Snuggled inside were 5 pieces of paper, each of them with the word "confidential" stamped across it. My hands seemed to move on their own, opening every envelope and spreading the contents out onto the coffee table. Each one looked different from the next, but the red confidential stamp was imprinted on every single one of them. My eyes traveled to the bottom of each page and saw my grandpa's signature scrawled on a line towards the edge of the page along with his official stamp. It looked the same as the engraving that was on my ring.

These were all his documents, but why the heck are they all confidential?
What was he trying to hide?

I picked up one of the papers off the table and scanned it, watching all the numbers scroll past my eyes. If I thought the business cram school my grandpa made me sit through as annoying, I was gonna absolutely hate figuring all this out. And I'm not even good at this so it'd take me ages.
Where the heck was Luhan when I need him?

"Is there a problem miss? Do you know what all this means?" the officer leaned over my shoulder, a little too close to my face than I liked. I quickly swept all the papers on the table into my arms and tucked them under my arm.
I don't know why, but I was actually taking the whole "confidential" stamp seriously.

"It might take me some time to figure everything out, but thank you for letting me know," I gave him a quick smile, "about...all of this."
He tipped his hat at me, "No problem miss. If you need anything else, please let us know."

I watched him motion to the other officers, who were positioned by the door, to follow him out. They quietly left the office, leaving me in there by myself. I shivered again as a breeze sailed in through the broken window. Standing in this huge room, among all the debris and trash, made me feel more alone than ever. Luhan and Mark were both in the hospital, my grandpa and my mom were both dead, and I honestly really didn't give two s where they were bringing my dad.

For the first time ever, I was truly alone.

I wiped away the tears that were forming in my eyes. No. This was definitely not the time to cry. My gut was telling me that whatever was in this envelope probably had something to do with why Mark moved away 14 years ago, but there was no way I was gonna be able to figure this out by myself.

"Ms. ________________?" a voice said from behind me. I whipped my head around, my heart beating rapidly. No more surprises for....forever.
"Yes?" I loosened up after realizing that it was my grandpa's secretary at the door. She pointed at her desk in the waiting room, "You have a phone call."
"From who?" I asked, stuffing all the papers back into one of the envelopes then making my way through the mess of caution tape again. She turned around and went back to her desk, holding out the phone to me.
"Luhan. He says he has something to ask you."


Author's Note
chapter title: Suddenly-Kim Bo Kyung [x]
short chapter this time :) and i haven't seen the MV for GOT7's new song yet but all these gif sets on tumblr are killing me slowly T.T