Back

Fine Line

Police were walking in and out of the building. I sat on the back of the ambulance, pulling the blanket a paramedic gave to me tighter around my shoulders. Both of my wrists were bandaged up and my arm was in a sling. Thankfully for me, the chair didn't completely shatter my arm. It only fractured it.
Mark and Luhan on the other hand didn't get off so easily.

"Take these two down to the hospital immediately. They're barely hanging on," one paramedic yelled over the chatter and the loud footsteps coming from the polices's combat boots. Two more nodded at his order and wheeled both gurneys over to two different ambulances, where another medical team helped them up into the back. I watched as Luhan and Mark, both unconscious, drove away with the sirens blaring.
I hugged myself, trying to get a little warmer despite how humid it actually was outside. 

My grandfather was dead. According to the police, my dad had killed him as he was getting off the podium after talking to the cameras and entering the back room where I was suppoed to be waiting.
They found his body, beaten and broken, on the floor with a gunshot through his head.

I shivered, as the image of the lifeless body flashed through my head.
He killed the last living relative I had. He killed and hurt everyone I care about. He wanted the CEO spot so badly that he threw away his entire life just to try to get it when it was never his to begin with.
Living a life of lies and deceit never works out in the end.

The sudden increase of noise signaled the arrival of my dad. I turned my head over and watched as the police dragged him out. They had put handcuffs on him despite the fact that moving his arms right now probably hurt like crazy.
My mind replayed the events that had occured not even 20 minutes ago. I pulled the trigger, but I didn't aim for any vital spots.
It wasn't worth killing him for revenge. Despite all the crap he'd put my through all my life, I still couldn't bring myself to kill him. So I shot his other shoulder instead. He wouldn't be able to use either of his arms to escape or fight back until the police came for him.

The second he realized what I had done, he tried to squirm his way over to the exit but Luhan tied him up before he could get any where by using the same rope he used to tie me up.
As an extra precaution, he also sat on top of my dad so he couldn't move until the police came.

His "hiding in plain sight" plan worked, seeing how no one bothered searching the office. In fact, all the security guards were actually all tied up and locked away in a random room so there wasn't anyone to look for us anyways. The police found them after they stormed the building.
They really didn't have to apologize for what had happened, seeing how it wasn't really their fault but they spent a whole 5 minutes bowing and saying sorry over and over again. Right now, they were helping the police officers search the building for anything else left behind by my dad, who was sitting in the back of a police car.

A heavily guarded police car.

But even though I wasn't looking at the car, I could still feel his cold eyes staring me down.
Didn't matter now anyways. He's no longer my problem.

The same paramedic who told the others to rush Luhan and Mark down to the hospital walked up to me and gave me a warm smile.
"How are you feeling?" he gently touched the arm that was in the sling. I couldn't really fell anything so I have no idea why I flinched backwards. "Did I hurt you? Do you feel any discomfort?" the paramedic immediately started firing questions at me the second after I leaned backwards. I shook my head, too startled by his directness to really form words. The paramedic relaxed a little as a police officer walked up beside him. He gave him a small, wordless nod before turning his attention back to me. 

"Let me know if you feel any sort of pain. If not, I think you should be all set. Side effects from the trauma should be normal in your case after what you went through, but if they start really affecting you and get progressively worse, come see us immediately."
I mumbled out a simple okay. He gave me one more smile then left. I couldn't help but feel a pang of jealousy and longing. Even though emergency medicine isn't really the field I wanted to go into, it was still medicine.

Yet another thing I left behind after choosing this life.

"Ms. ________________," the police officer tapped his hat and gave me a slight bow. I hopped off the back of the ambulance and returned the bow, keeping the blanket around me. 
"Did you guys finish? Is it safe to go back in?"
"We did finish searching the building. Nothing dangerous seems to be in there. The crime scenes have all been sectioned off and inspected. We might need to come back later in the week to take more pictures of the scenes but other than that, you should be good to go back in."
I let out a breath I didn't even know I was holding. "Thank you so much. I'll call if I find anything else."
"That's the other thing," his response made me freeze up again. "We found some....interesting files hidden in your grandfather's office. They seem to be dated back 14 years."

Documents from 14 years ago?
14 years ago was when Mark moved away...
And I have no idea why but something in me was telling me that this can't be just a simple coincidence.


Author's Note
chapter title: Back-Infinite [x]
holy crap...this fic might actually go past 50 chapters O.O this is my first time writing a fic this long lol xD