Step By Step

Fine Line

I leaned my forehead against the cool glass of the car window, watching the buildings and people on mopeds and bikes wizz by me. Every time the car stopped at some street corner, I could hear the food vendors yell out what they were selling to the people walking around on the sidewalk. My own stomach growled. Luhan didn't tell me when he would be picking me up before he left yesterday night. He just randomly showed up in my hotel room with the master key in his hand this morning, pulling the covers off of me and dragging me out of bed.

Literally.

"You hungry?" His voice broke through another round of my unattractive stomach noises. I put my hand over it and silently willed it to shut up.

Yeah, as if that was actually gonna do anything.
But thank goodness he asked cause I would've never said anything.
He seemed like he was in a rush when he woke me up this morning, as if we were late for something.
So obviously, I didn't eat breakfast.

"A little," I felt my face heat up as my stomach started its engine again, rumbling with every street corner we stopped at. I looked out of the window and tried to focus on anything but the guy selling steamed pork buns a few feet away from our car but my eyes kept wandering their way back to him.

Screw it.
I'm about ready to jump out of the car and buy every last bun he has.

"Sir, we need to get back to headquarters," the driver in front suddenly said. My eyes snapped open at the sound of the car door opening. Luhan had gotten out of the car and ran to the same pork bun seller I was looking at before.
I swear, this guys was a mind reader.
A minute later, he slid himself back into the car and handed the steaming bun to me as the car took off again.

I don't think I've ever eaten anything so quickly before in my life.
Probably destroyed my tongue in the process since that thing was still hot but every bit of my senses were dulled by the overwhelming emptiness in my stomach.

"Thanks," I sighed out, feeling the rumblies disappear. Luhan passed a water bottle to me without even looking over, his face almost pressed against the window.
"Don't mention it. We couldn't have you walking into the CEO's office with a loud stomach so I wouldn't really thank me just yet."

I rolled my eyes. 
Typical. Of course the only reason why he would be nice and buy me food is because he wanted to impress my grandpa. Why wouldn't it be?
The car continued to turn street corners and drive along sidewalks that were already overcrowded and bustling with people despite it being still relatively early in the morning. Some were strolling slowly into large corporate buildings while others rushed in with a cup in their hands. Probably coffee, which is also something that I desperately needed. I knocked out pretty easily last night but that wake up call totally just ruined everything. And he wasn't even sorry.

I gave Luhan a sideways death glare, mentally yelling at him but at the same time willing him to pull over again and buy me coffee.
But all I got in return was silence. He just kept staring out the window, his face so close to the glass that I could see his breath materialize onto it. Whatever he was thinking about must've been legit cause he didn't really say anything or move much until we pulled up in front of the building. The huge CE logo casted a shadow onto a chunk of the sidewalk, occassionally giving off a glare that made it look like it was sparkling. I don't know if I should be happy or upset to see the building...or the obnoxiously huge sign.

We made our way into the lobby, where we were greeted by a whole line of staff members, every single one of them bowing at me. I realized yesterday that they weren't bowing yesterday just because they were trying to be polite or anything. They were mostly bowing because all of them knew I was the CEO's granddaughter before I did. Today was no different. I put on a smile, nodding slightly as we walked by, Luhan keeping in stride beside me with the who picked us up by the front doors leading the way in front. The second we got into the elevator, Luhan finally said something.

"Try not to look too tired. Stand up straight and be at least somewhat well mannered. Even if he is your grandfather."

Well excuse you...

"What the hell do you mean by 'somewhat well mannered'?" I retorted, my voice laced with annoyance.
"Just don't act too comfortable when you're in the headquarters building. Everyone here is watching you. Whether or not they're watching because they want to see you slip up, I don't know. Just be careful," he responded, not even looking at me. His eyes were fixed on the elevator doors, which had finally opened on the top floor.

Two security guards stood by another set of doors. One of them touched his earpiece and said something, signaling at the other one to open the door. I walked in with Luhan behind me, trying not to be as amazed today by how gorgeously the morning sunlight lit up the huge office.

"I apologize for being late sir," Luhan bowed, his hand pushing my head down along with him. I didn't even have time to react so I let myself hang limply in a deep bow. 
"You're only late by 3 minutes. No big deal," my grandpa answered, sounding slightly amused. Next to me, Luhan let out a sigh so softly that only I could hear it. He straightened his back again, nodding in response to what my grandpa said.
"Besides," he continued, leaving his desk and walking towards us, "we have more important matters to talk about right now. Luhan, can you give me and _______________ some time alone?"


Author's Note
chapter title: Step By Step-ZE:A [x]
sorry for the slow chapters lately >.< i'm trying to fit as many filler/description material as i can in one chapter without it being overkill so bear with me for a bit longer! it'll pick up again soon :) hehe