Volume Up

Fine Line

I wanted him to stay.
Luhan was probably the only thing that made me feel slightly comfortable in this foreign country and this even foreign office building. And my rich, CEO of a grandpa just ordered him out.
Great.
Typical.
As if things couldn't get any more awkward and disfunction in our family.

"Don't be nervous," he said, sitting himself into the same chair he sat in yesterday. I stood frozen in front of him, silently willing Luhan back into the room.
"I-I'm not."

Damn.
How obvious could I get?

My grandpa raised his eyebrow in confusion at my response for a split second before shrugging a little, almost like he simply just accepted the answer I just gave him.
"I know what you probably think of me ________________," he sighed, putting his hands up to his mouth. "That I'm a horrible person for not showing up to your mother's funeral and for being nonexistent in your life for almost 21 years."

Wow. The guy was good. And pretty spot on too. I didn't answer though. I just kept looking at him, trying to keep the same expression on my face.
It was probably the most agonizing 5 seconds of my life.

"I'm not sure how much Luhan told you yesterday night," he sighed, looking down at his watch and twisting it slightly around his wrist, "but I'm sure you know by now about what your mother did."

Well Luhan's in for a newsflash.
Apparently, he knew everything we talked about last night.
I was so right.
This guy's a total stalker.

"That doesn't mean you have to disappear from her life like that," the words slipped out of my mouth almost on instinct. And I didn't even bother to keep them in. "You didn't attend your own daughter's funeral. You didn't even show your face while we were being tortured by my father and even when he was after the rights to your company. Why the hell should I even stay here and agree to take over it? You did nothing for us."

I didn't even realize my chest was heaving by the time i finished talking. Letting out all my pent up rage and confusion was like running a marathon: exhausting but exhilarating.

"And there, my dear, is where you're wrong. I was with you 2 since the very beginning," he had moved onto the flashy rings on his fingers, slipping the one on his pinky on and off casually. Looks like lack of eye contact ran in the family.
"What're you talking about? I had no idea who you even were until yesterday. There's no way you could've been there."
"It's true your mother left the family behind after I tried to force her into a business marriage, and it is true that we had no contact between each other. But then you came into the picture. She knew how important it was to keep CE safe and by the time she finally called me, she noticed something was off about your father. We agreed that everything would be revealed to you a month before you turn 21, but unfortunately your mother didn't make it that far. You were suppose to have more time to make your decision and to prepare for it, but everything was thrown off thanks to your father. And as for the funeral, she told me years before not to come. She didn't want anything to happen to me and risk losing CE to a psychopath."
"But you're so casual about it," I mumbled, looking over his shoulder at the view of the city through the windows. All I could really see from my spot was little dots scattered around but looking at that was at least a little better than looking at my grandfather.
"You can say that I've been conditioned," he finally looked up at me but I kept my attention on the windows behind him. "Of course I was sad when I first heard the news, but everything moves so fast in the world I live in that I had to get over it quickly. I never really had enough time to mourn. Or maybe it's cause I'm old and death isn't something that really scares me anymore."

That last bit caught my attention.
Even though I didn't really know him, I still didn't want someone else to die during this whole ordeal.
Especially not another family member.

"Does that pretty much cover everything?" I watched his head tilt slightly as he asked me this. Looks like I know where I got that habit then. The most I could manage to get out right now was a nod, which he responded with his own before he head back to his desk.
"Wait!" I shot out my chair, feeling the pressure and anxiety build up again inside me. He turned around and stared at me with eyes that reminded me so much of my mom. Can't believe I just noticed that just now.

"So if I have to make my decision in a week, don't I at least need to know what I would be throwing myself into?"
"Of course. That's why you're here today. Your classes begin in about 10 minutes in the room next door. Good luck."


Author's Note
chapter title: Volume Up-4minute [x]
ahhhhh quickish, kinda messily written update for you guys! xD sorry about the slowness lately. had a lot of things to do this past week haha



THIS PICTURE DOE!!!! UGH THAT LIP BITE. GET OUTTA HERE MARK. =.=