Chapter 31

Cellphone (slow updates)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The gala was held at The Museum of Fine Arts in one of the main saloons. It had once been the old city centre and it's classic Greek architecture made it the perfect choice for converting it into a museum.

Tonight, the chandeliers were sparkling, the wine was plenty and the saloon was filled with a list of who's who. Everywhere, gowns swished and gems gleamed. It was the event of the year and high society was out in full force.

The lightlubs started flashing the moment Nichkhun helphed Victoria out of the car. She tried not to scowl as she was nearly blinded. Nickhun noticed how uncomfortable Victoria was as they started down the red carpet and quickly unshered her inside. "You alright sweetheart?" he asked in concern as Victoria pressed her fingers to her temple.

"I hate those cameras the press use. I dont know how you do it all the time," Victoria said, slightly annoyed.

Nichkhun smiled as he replied, "Practice, my dear. Practice."

Victoria stared at him in mock exasperation as they entered the saloon. It was a long elegant room with tall french windows that opned out to a sweeping balcony. There was a stage atone end of the room and buffet tables lined the length of the room. Everyone was mingling around, cultured voices and soft laughter filled the air.

A light tinkling bell signaled the start of the auction and everyone moved towards the stage. Nichkhun went onstage to kick start the auction for the first item, a beautiful diamond necklace. There were a few beautiful pieces of jewelry that were generously donated by the high society ladies and the guests were enthusiastic in their bidding.

"The last item is this beautiful pair of emerald earrings most kindly donated by Mrs Huntington. The biding starts at $5000." The earrings on display were a pair of brilliant 3 carat emerald tear-drop earrings ringed with small diamonds.

Nichkhun raised his numbered sign. "You want to bid for this?" Victoria asked, puzzled.

"Yeah, they are for you. They remind me of your eyes." Pink tinged Victoria's cheeks as she smiled to heself.

Someone in the back of the room raised the bid and Nichkhun followed. The price had risen to $8000 and climbing, it was starting to be a bidding war between Nichkhun and the unknown person.

"Who is that relentless creature?" Nichkhun asked in annoyance as he turned to look back, trying to spot the mysterious bidder.

"Nichkhun, forget it. This is getting out of hand." Victoria tried to get him stop. Theprice had climbed to $12000.

Nichkhun tuned to Victoria. "These are for you, so the price doesnt matter. Besides, it's for charity, a worthy cause. The higher the price, the better."

"But..," Victoria tried to stop him from raising his sign.

"Sold! To the gentleman in the back!" the auctioneer cried. The mysterious bidder had managed to secure the earrings while they were talking. Nichkhun looked disappointed. The guests around them applauded politely as the winner came forward to claim the earrings.

It was Choi Siwon.

Nichkhun tensed as Siwon collected the earrings with a broad smile and long glance in Victoria's direction. Victoria watched Nichkhun uneasily. His face was grim as he watched Siwon carefully.

Everyone's attention was directed to dance floor when the lights dimmed and the chandeliers glowed softly above it.

"May I have this dance?" Nichkhun turned to her. Some of the tension has left his body but his eyes were still wary. He led herto the middle of the dance floor. Victoria seemed to sparkle in the chandelier's soft glow. Nichkhun took her hand and gently held her waist in his other and swept her off into the waltz's graceful melody.

Victoria felt as if the room melted away as he twirled her around. All she could see is the deep pools of Nichkhun's eyes. The last of his tension slowly melted away as he locked her in gaze.

"Pity about those earrings. They would have looked lovely on you." he commented.

"That's alright. They are not the only earrings in the world," she smiled.

"You're right in front of me but i still miss you like crazy," Nichkhun whispered to Victoria.

Victoria smiled. "I miss you even more plus twenty two"

Nichkhun laughed. "Plus twenty two, what do you mean by that?"

"I miss you even more, more than you miss me, Victoria said as she touched Nichkhun's cheek.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter