Chapter 17

Cellphone (slow updates)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Mortified, Victoria turned her head away, not wanting him to see her reddening cheeks. How awkward! Her stomach rumbled like it hadnt eaten in days!

Nichkhun rose out of his seat and reached above where the luggage racks were. He pulled down a black duffle and sat back down, with the bag on his lap. "My mom packed me some food," he informed her as he rummaged through the bag.

"Peanut butter and jelly?" she joked, hoping her cheeks werent too red.

"Ding! ding! Whe have a winner!" he announced, his voice imitating a game-show host.

"Seriously?" Victoria asked, surprised that she had guessed correctly.

Nichkhun sent her a wry smile. "That's pretty much all my dad and I allow her to make. She's disaster in the kitchen."

"She cant be that bad," Victoria potested. "What about the microwave dinners that are frozen? Those are easy."

Nichkhun let out a short bark of laughter. "The last time she tried to microwave a dinner, she ended up melting the plastic. And dont even get get me started on the great Thanksgiving disaster of 2005." He shuddered at the memory. "Lets just say shes been banned from using the turkey baster."

Victoria looked at him in amazement. How did one mess up suing a turkey baster? All you had to do was squeeze. "So, who cooks then?" Victoria asked, curious to hear more about his family.

"Well, Dad pretty much only grills, and unfortunately i got mom's cooking skills, so most of the time we eat out or order something in."

Victoria thought of her own family who had a home cooked meal practically every night. She loved her mom's homemade lasagna and meatloaf. She couldnt imagine never having any of that. "Dont you get sick of it?"

Nichkhun leaned back in his seat, pondering the question. "Honestly? Not really. My family is big intor trying new things, so we are constantly eating different types of cuisines. My mom has this rule that we ve never tried before." His lips curled into a genuine smile. "One time, i odered this dish called Rocky Mountain Oysters because it sounded interesting." He shook his head as he chuckled himself. "I should have read the description of what it was, because turns out Rocky Mountain Oysters arent oysters at all."

"What is it?"

Nichkhun winced. "Deep fried bull ."

"Gross!" Victoria let out her gross tone.

Nichkhun's shoulders trembled as he laughed. "You should have seen my mom's face when she tried it. I thought she was going to pass out." He sighed happily. "Man, that was a good time."

"What do you guys do for holidays thought? Do you eat at a restaurant?"

"No. We go over to my aunt's house. She's a whiz in the kitchen. She provides all the food and we provide the drinks. It works out pretty well."

Victoria smiled as she listened to Nichkhun talk about his family. This was a new side of him that shed never seen before. No inappropriate comments, no arrogants remarks. She liked it.

As he continued searching in his duffle, something yellow caught her attention. Victoria leaned forward to get a better look inside. "Are those peeps?" she asked in dismay as she saw packs of yellow sugarcoated chicks, stuffed in his bag.

"I may or may not be addicted to them."

"To peeps?" Victoria clarified. "The marshmellow substance that comes in the form of little colored birds?"

"They come in bunnies too," Nichkhun stated defensively.

"Because that makes it so much better." She pulled his bag onto her lap to take a closer look. "Good god, how many did you bring?"

Nichkhun rubbed the back of his neck, looking slightly embarrased. "Just six"

Was he crazy? Each pack had five peeps in them. That was a total of thirty peeps. "You know we're only staying for two days right?

Nichkhun narrowed his eyes and yanked his duffle back. "Havent you ever heard the motto 'always be pepared?"

Victoria frowned. She looked inside and saw a heart shaped sandwich along with juice box and strawberries. Guess his mom really did cut his sandwich into shapes. "Arent you eat any?"

Nichkhun ripped open a package of peeps. "I have my lunch right here, sweetheart."

"Its 3PM!"

He raised his brow. "Your point being?"

She watched in fascination as he stuffed a whole peep in his mouth. His expression softened as he chewed and swallowed. Wow. He really did love those things.

"So good," he murmured and picked up another one.

As Victoria started to eat the sandwich, she began to realize how little she actually knew about him. Sure, they talked on the phone a lot, but the majority of the time, it was about superficial topics. Where did he live? Did he have a grilfriend? Victoria scowled at the thought. Knowing him, he probably had half a dozen of them, all on a rotating schedule. Kelly on Monday, Jess on Teusday, Naomi on Wednesday-

"Why are you frowning, sweetheart?" Ni

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter