37/Final

Married To A Brat

"I'm afraid of commitment." 

Hyukjae let out a snort, his right hand still entangled between Donghae's fingers, the other grasping a steering wheel. "Yeah, I'll bet." 

Donghae chuckled. He gave the hand a squeeze. He liked the way his hands fit into Hyukjae's, like they belonged there. He liked the warmth they brought, the security. He found himself a fool to have once found this feeling scary. 

"I was afraid of commitment." He corrected himself. 

Hyukjae glanced towards his husband, breaking into a smile. 

"I lost my best friend and first love during my junior year in high school." Donghae continued. Hyukjae's smile quickly sudued, earning a chuckle from Donghae. 

"Don't make that face. I know all about your past rendezvous." 

"I was a hormonal idiot." Hyukjae cried. "Frankly, also an ." 

"One hundred percent agreed." 

Ignoring the sour look his husband threw him, Donghae continued with his story. "I lost him when I most needed him. He not only rejected my feelings, claiming that they weren't real, but also ridiculed me for being gay and completely cut me off. I was devastated." 

Hyukjae gave the hand within his a squeeze. 

"That boy grew up and found me a couple months ago, took me to see his dying mother and kissed me in the ice cream parlor I work at, messing up my marriage and hurting the man I love the most and never want to hurt again." 

Hyukjae's breath quietly hitched. He turned to look at Donghae. He finally noticed the unshed tears clouding the man's brown eyes.

"Donghae -" 

"I'm really sorry, Hyukjae. I will never allow something like that to happen again. I'll always be loyal to you and love only you and never second guess my feelings for you again, because I never want to lose you again." 

Hyukjae pulled the car over to the side of the road, unbuckling his seat belt. His hands came out to cup his husband's cheeks, wiping the saltwater running down them. He leaned in to give the man a chaste kiss. 

"You never lost me, Donghae. I was always here, waiting for you." 

Donghae sniffled, pulling the boy down to reconnect their lips. His hands disappeared behind him, dugging into his dufflebag. He pulled away, out of breath, papers in his hand. 

"Burn this, shred it, destroy it, whatever you choose, get rid of it." Donghae held up a familar packet. 

"The contracts." 

"I don't want your money, Hyukjae. I don't want the house or the inheritance or the cars. I just want to be with you, be happy." 

Hyukjae tore the contracts without a second wasted, grinning. "What's mine is yours, including my heart." 

Donghae would've smacked him for such a cheesy comment if he had not been too busy pulling the boy down to devour him. 

 

 

"Destiny would've brought them together if we hadn't." 

"I don't doubt it. Sometimes, though, destiny needs a little push from people like us to speed things up."

"Even with our meddling, this took too long." 

"What else can we expect after wedding two brats to one another." 

"We've done our jobs." 

"And successfully." 

"We deserve rewards, no?" 

"We deserve great grandchildren." 

The grandfathers guffawed, clinking their wine glasses together and laying back in their rocking chairs, pondering about what the future would bring them and their beloved grandchildren. 

 

The End and a New Beginning.