three days of waiting

Married To A Brat

Eunhyuk flung up from his chair, mouth agape. “You can’t be serious! Three days?”

Grandfather Lee cleared his throat as a signal – warning, more or less – for his grandson to take a seat. The boy bit his lip in agitation, sitting down nevertheless. The man across from the grandfather and grandson let out a deep giggle.

“I can’t believe my grandson’s going to be married in three days.” He stopped laughing by himself when he saw the panicked look on Eunhyuk’s face. “Hyukjae-goon, is this marriage date a problem for you?”

Before Eunhyuk could open his mouth, a sharp smack landed on his back. He gasped, the breath caught within his throat.

“Of course not, Byeong Chul! He doesn’t mind at all.” Under his breath, he added, “Even if he did, no one gives a damn. The hall’s booked, the food’s been ordered, invitations sent out. He can’t change anything now anyways.”

Hearing this, Hyuk felt faint. This was so not how he’d imagined his first wedding.

 

When Donghae arrived home after a long day of classes and work, the sky was a dull grey color. The Lee Mansion had been lit up with extravagant lights, making the beautiful home look even more magical. Hae let out a sigh, wondering how his life would seem as if it had changed for the absolute better in other people’s lives. Just the other day some kids from college had stopped him, asking if he really lived at The Lee Mansion. When he’d confirmed the rumors, they’d commented on how he probably had the life.

“What little do they know,” Hae mumbled under his breath, punching in the password that had been given to him since the day he’d stepped foot on the Residence.

Hae walked in quietly, not trying to make noise. Closing the door cautiously behind himself, he turned around only to have a mini-heart attack.

“Ryeowook!”

The assistant butler grinned sheepishly. “Did I scare you, perhaps?”

Hae let out a jagged breath, clutching his chest. “No, of course not,” he deadpanned, eyes unamused.

The butler giggled, taking Hae’s coat. “I’m sorry. I’m – no, we’ve been waiting for you to arrive for a while now. I’ve got something to show you, follow me.”

“What? What do you mean we –“ Hae’s breath caught in his throat when they arrived at the living room. Next to Grandfather Lee on the big chair sat an old man so familiar to Donghae that it brought fresh tears in his eyes.

Donghae’s Grandfather saw the glistening wet eyes of his beloved grandson and stood up, a soft smile on his lips. Without warning, Hae flung himself onto his Grandfather, sobbing like his heart depended on it. The elderly man kept smiling, wiping away the unstoppable tears and murmuring comforting words.

“Donghae-ah, I’ve been gone for too long. Grandpa’s sorry.”

Hae shook his head violently, snotting all over the elderly man’s sweater. “N-No Grandpa. Y-You’re here n-now, aren’t y-y-youu?”

Hae’s grandfather nodded, patting the kid’s head. “I am and I’m here to make up for the time I left you suffering,” he whispered.

Hyukjae watched this scene from the stairs, unintentional tears gathering in his own eyes. When he felt how wet his cheeks were he cussed.

“Who’s ing cutting onions at night,” he muttered, false anger covering up his embarrassment as he trudged upstairs grumbling about how much of a baby his fiancé was. “Can’t believe I’m marrying that fool in three days time.”

 

Donghae was smiling to himself in bed when his bedroom door open.

“Grandpa?” Hae asked. The pitch blackness of the room made it hard to pinpoint who exactly was at the door.

The door simply creaked shut, the intruder not revealing his identity. Hae clenched his fist, feeling a bit uncertain.

“Who is it?”

Again no reply. Hae could only hear the sound of footsteps coming closer to his bed. He clutched the bedsheet harder.

“R-Ryeowook? Is that you? You’re not f-funny.” Hae said, voice slightly cracking towards the end. Just as he’d finished, the bed dipped. No longer being able to hold it in, Hae’s mouth opened wide, ready to scream his lungs out.

“Don’t. Scream.” The intruder threatened, a hand coming out to clamp over Hae’s mouth for good measure. The latter’s eyes grew wide as he let out an annoyed breath.

“Hwuukwae?”

Hyuk quickly removed his hand in disgust at the feeling of Hae’s hot breath on his bare hand. Okay okay, maybe not disgust. But he’d never admit how much that helpless voice of his fiance’s turned him on. Never.

“What’re you doing here right now?” Hae hissed when his mouth was released.

Hyuk couldn’t see his fiancé right now but he could just imagine that look on post-panic and irritation in his face. He grinned a little.

“I was bored. So I decided to come here and you know, play.

Hae’s breathing quickened, his fist clenching around the bedsheet in his palm. “H-Hyukjae –“

“I sort of love it when you say my name like that,” Hyuk commented, voice low. “It ing turns me on.”

“ bastard.” Hae mumbled but Eunhyuk could hear the blush in his voice. He smirked some more. This was fun.

“Why are you here?” Hae asked, voice forcefully serious.

Hyuk shrugged before remembering that his fiancé could obviously not see it. “Your grandfather wanted me to sleep here. He found it weird for us two to sleep alone and I didn’t want him suspecting anything.”

It was an obvious lie. Hyuk had simply come because he couldn’t sleep. He’d gotten used to sleeping next to the fish. But no way he’d tell the bastard that. Never.

Hae puffed his cheeks. “Fine. But don’t touch me.”

Hyuk tried to ignore a pang in the back of his heart. This doesn’t bother me. It shouldn’t. He chanted, again and again. The night grew older, the loud full house soon growing quiet. Donghae’s breathing had turned stable, making Hyuk think he’d fallen asleep.

“Are you awake Hae?” He whispered gently.

No response.

“I’m sorry we both have to be in this marriage,” Hyuk began. “Mostly to you, I’m sorry. I know you’re probably devastated that your husband’s younger than you. But I can’t help that I’m still in high school.” A sigh. “I know you’d much rather be with some older guy who’s already got his life planned out and behind him. I know you’re only agreeing to marry me because I’ve got money. And I don’t blame you. Money’s important in life, I get it. I just, I wish I could see you as a profit case too. Like you see me.”

Hyuk paused for some time, taking a moment to push away a strand of hair resting on Hae’s face. His eyes had adjusted to the darkness and now he was staring straight at his fiance’s beautiful sleeping face.

“I think I like you a little too much Lee Donghae. And honestly, it scares the out of me, knowing very well that you’d never feel the same way.” Hyuk whispered, finishing his monologue with a yawn. Moments later, he was out cold.

A couple more moments passed.

Hae opened his eyes, a strange feeling bubbling in his stomach and chest. He’d heard every word.

                            

                                                                                 **                                   **                              ** 

 

Donghae couldn’t believe his ears the next morning. He resisted the urge to spurt out his milk tea.

“T-Three days?!” He stammered, putting down his cup in fear that he’d drop it in shock. “Grandpa – what – no – I mean… What?”

Hae’s Grandfather sipped his tea, calm. “Your marriage is set in three days, my boy. Why is that you and Hyukjae-goon had the same exact reaction?”

Grandfather Lee chuckled. “They’re spending so much time together that even their reactions are similar.”

“Three days is not enough time for me – for us to prepare, Grandpas! I’ve got to get a tailored suit for the both of us, pick a venue, invite friends. Heck, I don’t even know who’d be our priest, considering we’re both men and –“

Hae’s grandpa held up a hand. “Hae, relax. This old man and I’ve got it all under control. All you need to do is wake up a little earlier in three days and get dressed in the clothes we provide for you. You’ll get into a car – don’t ask what kind, that’ll be a surprise – and then we’ll handle everything from there.”

“Leave it to us,” Grandfather Lee added with a wink.

Before Hae could argue further, his grandpa whipped his head towards the stairs where a dazed Hyuk was descending.

“Oh look, your husband’s here, Hae! Why don’t you go and give him a good morning kiss?”

Hae tensed immediately. It took a couple of seconds for the sleepy Eunhyuk to realize what had just been said. He too stumbled a little.

“Oh no, that won’t be-“ Hyuk opened his mouth to dismiss the suggestion but Hae was already on his feet, walking towards him with speed. The younger’s fist clenched at his side as his fiancé leaned up and pecked his mouth once.

“Good morning,” Hae mumbled, looking at a spot right above Hyuk’s collar bone. He was about to walk back to his seat when Hyuk caught his right hand in his own, pulling him back. He leaned in.

“That was the first kiss you initiated.” Hyuk whispered, enclosing the space between them. Once again, their lips were on each other. This time, Hyuk took control, kissing the elder softly and romantically. Hae could feel his cheeks turning salmon pink. “I can’t just let you get away like that, can I?”

The next moment, Hae’s foot met with Hyuk’s shin. The younger was down and howling in seconds, the grandfathers laughing at their grandchildren’s antics.

In the midst of it all, Hae was just furiously blushing, mumbling third-degree-cusses directed to his brat of a fiancé.