missed calls

Married To A Brat

In midst of all the morning rush, Donghae had completely forgotten to fetch his wallet. Thus he stood at the counter of the campus cafe after his classes had ended, harboring a sheepish smile as he handed back the coffee. The waitress reached out to retrieve it, a sympathetic smile grazing her aged features when an intruding hand stopped her. 

"I got it." The owner of the hand spoke, turning to look at Donghae. He grinned handsomely. "Long time no see." 

 

Hyukjae was frowning up a storm when Leeteuk smacked him upside the head. 

"He's probably running a little late because of classes." 

"Tsk." 

"You know how seriously Donghae takes his classes." Teuk reasoned. 

Hyuk sighed. It did make sense. Despite the bull that escaped his lips, Donghae had never purposely avoided his romantic guestures. He was a tsundere, after all. His frown eased. 

"You're probably right." Hyuk muttered as the clock ticked 8:15." 

 

"You look stunning, Kibum." 

The man sitting across from Donghae blushed goodnaturedly. His long locks from high school had been cleanly cut and styled atop his head, his haphazard fashion sense having taken a three-sixty. 

"I thought about giving you call earlier but I didn't know if you were still even in Korea. You'd always say you'd run off to France after high school ended." 

Donghae smiled. "I was planning to but one thing led to another and here I am, almost two years after high school still in Korea." He shook his head. "Enough about me. When did you get back from the states?" 

"Last month. I planned on finishing my bachelor's in the states but my mom's been sick lately. She needed me here and I've been homesick ever since I've left. So I packed up my bags and decided to move back." 

"I'm sorry to hear that." 

Kibum smiled, slowly taking Donghae's hand in his own. "You should come see mom again, Donghae." 

Donghae's smile tightened. He swallowed, glancing at his hand in Kibum's. He pulled away. 

"Kibum -" 

"I'm sorry." Kibum chuckled, rubbing his nape. "I didn't mean to make things awkward. I know our relationship didn't end on good terms, Donghae." 

"It's okay." Donghae looked around for a few moments, before gathering his things. "I think I'll head out first. I've got an appointment today." Just as the words had left his mouth, Donghae's cell-phone rang. The muted ringer caused it to go to voicemail, the notification accompanying the other tens of unseen texts and calls by Lee Hyukjae. 

Kibum his lips as he watched Donghae rise.

"Donghae." 

Donghae knew that tone. It had been almost three years since he had heard it but he knew it well. He clenched his fist. 

"Yes?" 

Kibum rose. He reached out to grasp Donghae's hand. "Please come see mom. She misses you, Donghae." 

Donghae closed his eyes. 

"I'm not asking as the guy who broke your heart three years ago. He was a fool." Kibum continued, voice heavy. "I am asking as the guy before him, the guy who was your best friend since third grade. He was good to you, wasn't he?" 

Donghae nodded albeit the feeling of guilt rising from his chest. 

 

Around ten, Leeteuk gave up on trying to console Hyukjae. Frankly, he was worried himself. 

"I'm going to look for him." Hyukjae announced, pulling on his shoes. He grabbed his car keys from the stand, shutting the door behind himself clumsily. His steps were slow, his fingers aching from being clenched all day. His emotions were in a whirlwind, from hurt to angry to worried beyond belief. Hyukjae revved the car, not seeing a black camry appear in plain sight in midst of his chaotic thoughts. 

Only when he heard an overly familar laughter, reaching his ears by escaping through the cracks of the barely open car windows, did Hyukjae turn his head. He blinked. 

"Thanks." 

Donghae smiled. "For tonight?" 

"For everything." 

Hyukjae opened his car door, fist clenched. He walked closer and closer. He wasn't thinking straight. He only wanted one thing - for his fist to connect to the face of the man making his husband smile like so. Then Donghae's smile grow wider, his eyes brighter and Hyukjae stopped. He took in the small details, from the slight glow of pink on his husband's cheeks to the way he spoke fluently, without pause. He kept constant eye contact, his gaze confident, his chin held high.  

Donghae had never looked at him that way. 

Hyukjae stepped back. He felt a jab that aimed at his heart but hit him in the stomach and next second he was blinking back tears. It hurt. Like hell. But he didn't cry. He blinked his tears back, turned around and walked right back into his home. 

Leeteuk blinked, confused to see him so quickly. 

"I found Donghae." Hyukjae merely clarified curtly. "He's coming in now. Goodnight." 

The butler watched as Hyukjae stalked up the stairs with deflated shoulders. A few moments passed as Kangin and Leeteuk glanced at one another in ponder before the front door reopened. 

"Donghae! We've been so worried." 

Donghae bowed furiously, frowning. "I'm so sorry! I really am. I didn't notice your calls until I pulled up into the driveway." He spoke quickly, words barely audible. He inched towards the stairs. "Is Hyuk upstairs?" 

Leeteuk nodded. Before he could speak Donghae bolted up. He didn't slow down until he'd reached their closed bedroom door. He knocked twice before impatiently twisting the doorknob. 

"Hyuk -" The darkness inside the room surprised Donghae. He made out the lump in their bed and frowned. 

"You're already sleeping?" He whispered, shocked. "Hm. I'd expected you to throw a fit or something at least." 

As Donghae inched out of their room, closing the door behind himself, he just barely missed the sniffle coming from the lump on their bed. 

 

 

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

A/N: Before anyone points it out - Yes, Donghae's never had his first kiss,etc. Nor has he had a boyfriend before. But a heartbreak, my friends. That I never specified that he hadn't. :) Don't kill me I know this update makes y'all want to bite the head off a pillow. 

Disclaimer: Donghae is NOT a cheater. I do not write romantic fics involving a cheater. Just putting it out there. Stay tuned.