Day at the Beach

L. Jae

Minki and Haneul giggled in the back of the car, endlessly talking and making each other laugh with the smiles that resemble their father’s.

Jae smiled as she watched her babies play, loving their adorable relationship.

“Ki! Look at all the water!” Haneul said, and her brother did as told.

“Wow! There’s so much water! Umma! Appa! Do you see it?” Minki and Haneul looked at the ocean with wonder. This would be their first time at the beach, and they were more than ecstatic to see what it was like.

“Yes we see it, baby. Are you two excited to go to the beach?” Jae asked. Minki and Haneul both nodded excitedly with their pails and shovels in their hands.

“I can’t wait to make sandcastles with Ki oppa!” Haneul held her pail and shovel in the air and smiled at Minki.

“Yea! We’re gonna make a big castle so that Haneul can be a princess and I can be a prince!” Minki spoke just as excitedly as his sister.

“Good, but remember, umma has to put sunscreen on you before you get started on your sandcastle.” Jae smiled at her babies when they nodded at her words.

After Byunghun parked the car and Jae helped Minki and Haneul out of their seats, the babies were so excited and hopping together as they looked at the beach that was waiting for them.

“Let’s go find a spot for the blankets.” Byunghun said as he took Minki’s hand and Jae took Haneul’s.

“Ouch!” Haneul yelled as they reached the hot sand.

“Umma, cawy me pwease. The sand is weally hot.” Hani pouted and held her arms up for Jae to pick her up. Jae smiled and picked her baby girl up.

“Are your little feet feeling better, Hani?” Jae asked as she tickled Haneul’s feet, making Haneul a laughing mess.

“No umma! That tickles!” Haneul giggled as she pushed her umma’s hands away.  Jae kissed her daughter’s nose and continued to walk towards a spot to sit.

The Puppy Family walked to a good spot that wasn’t too far from the shore but not too close either. Minki and Haneul had the brightest smiles on their face as they held their pails and shovels in one hand and each other’s hands in the other.

“Here babies, let me put your sunscreen on so you can play.” Jae put sunscreen on the adorable Puppy siblings and poked their noses when they were done. “There, now you can play in the sand.”

Minki picked up the sunscreen and held it out to his mother. “What about you and appa? You should put sunsween on too.”

Byunghun smiled and took the sunscreen from Minki. “Thanks, Minki.” He ruffled Minki’s hair and Minki smiled at his appa.

Jae and Byunghun put sunscreen on each other as they watched their babies play in the sand for the first time. They tried to make a sandcastle, but it wasn’t working.

“Umma~ Appa~ Why isn’t our castle standing up?” Minki pouted as he watched his sister try to continue to put their castle together. Byunghun smiled and walked with Minki over to their sandcastle.

“You need some water, babies.” Byunghun took his glasses off and put them away, taking Minki and Haneul’s hands. “Let’s go to the ocean and get some water.”

As they went to the ocean, Jae went to the boardwalk to get her family a treat. She smiled as she saw Haneul and Minki splash in the water and excitedly fill their buckets with water.

When everyone returned to the towel, Haneul showed her umma her bucket.

“Look umma! I picked up seashells for you!” Haneul’s smile made Jae smile even more.

“Wow, these are so pretty, Hani!” Jae kissed Haneul’s forehead. “Thank you so much!”

Haneul giggled. “Umma, can you help us make our sandcastle?”

Jae smiled. “After you have your ice cream.” Jae gave Haneul the ice cream she bought for her and Haneul’s face lit up.

“Ice cweam!” Haneul jumped happily and sat in her beach chair next to Jae to eat her ice cream. Minki looked up and ran over to Jae. He looked at her with big puppy dog eyes and an adorable pout.

“Here you go, Ki. I got strawberry ice cream for you.” Jae handed the ice cream to Minki and he kissed his umma’s cheek.

“Tank you, umma!” Minki sat next to his sister and giggled with her.

“Bunny~ I got you ice cream, too~” Byunghun pecked Jae’s lips before taking the ice cream and happily eating it.

After the Puppy Family finished their ice cream, they continued working on the sandcastle. Minki and Byunghun made trips back and forth to get water for the sandcastle, and Haneul and Jae built the sandcastle, decorating it with the seashells Haneul picked.

“I gotta get a picture of this.” Byunghun said as he looked at the finished sandcastle with wonder. He took his phone from the beach bag as Jae sat behind the castle with her babies standing on either side of her.

Byunghun smiled when he saw his beautiful family ready to take the picture. He stopped someone as they passed by.

“Excuse me, can you please take a picture of us?” The stranger smiled and took the picture of the happy Puppy Family.

“You have a beautiful family. Have a nice day.” The stranger said to Byunghun as he gave his phone back. Byunghun thanked him and showed his wife and babies the picture.

At that moment, Minki sat in his beach chair and fanned himself. “Umma, I’m weally weally hot.”

Haneul sat next to him and did the same. Jae smiled at Byunghun.

“Do you wanna take them to the water?” Jae asked as she picked up Haneul and Haneul rested her head on her umma’s shoulder.

Byunghun nodded and held his arms out for Minki and Minki ran into his appa’s arms. “Let’s go play in the water.”

Minki clapped excitedly and Jae and Byunghun carried their babies to the ocean. They put them down right before they got to the water so they could run to the water and play in the waves. Minki and Haneul held hands and giggled as they tried to jump over all the waves. L. Jae smiled as they watched their babies play in the water.

“Umma! Appa! Help us jump over the water!” Minki said while laughing.

L. Jae ran to their babies and swung them over the waves. Haneul and Minki were laughing like there was no tomorrow and their bright smiles only made their parents happier.

After a while, L. Jae watched Haneul and Minki play on their own and splash around in the water as they sat together and the waves washed up to them. They couldn’t believe the energy that the babies had despite how hot it was.

They played for a good hour and a half before they finally got tired. Haneul walked over to Jae, cutely rubbing her eyes and holding her arms out for her umma to pick her up and carry her back.

“Aw, Hani. Are you tired?” Haneul nodded and closed her eyes and rested in Jae’s arms. “Bunny, I think it’s time to head back home now. Hani’s falling asleep.”

Byunghun nodded and let Minki get on his back to piggyback him to their spot. Minki had little energy left but he was still laughing and talking as if he was full of energy.

When they returned to their spot, Byunghun began to fold the towels and put everything away. Jae wrapped her babies in their towels to dry them and she kept sleeping Hani in her arms. Minki carried whatever he could to help his parents bring everything back to the car.

“Did you have fun today, Ki?” Jae asked as she helped Minki get into the car. Minki nodded and looked at his sister.

“I know Hani had fun today, too.” He gently kissed her forehead and giggled when a small smile form on Haneul’s lips. Jae’s heart fluttered from the sight of her adorable babies and she got into the car.

“Ready to go, mi amor?” Byunghun asked as he put his seatbelt on.

“Yep. Let’s go back home, Bunny. It’s been a long day.” Jae looked back at Minki and smiled when she saw that he fell asleep. “I’m glad we took this trip today.” Jae said.

Byunghun placed his hand on Jae’s. “Me too, mi amor.” He kissed her hand and drove off to go home.