Minki Oppa

L. Jae

“Umma~” Minki called.

“Yes, baby?” Jae stopped making Minki’s lunch to pick him up and place him on the kitchen counter.

“I hungwy.” Minki held his stomach and pouted. Jae smiled and quickly finished his lunch.

“Here, Minki. Eat all of your food like a good boy.”

Minki clapped and put on a bright smile that resembled his appa’s. “Yay! Tank you, umma!” He kissed Jae’s cheek and held his arms up so Jae could take him down from the counter.

Jae smiled as she watched her son excitedly jump to the table to eat. Jae looked at the calendar on the wall and took a deep breath. “I’ll be right back, Minki.”

“Okay, umma!”

Jae turned around and disappeared into the bathroom. She looked in the drawer where she put a pregnancy test. She bit her lip and took it out, hoping that Minki could be a big brother.

When she left the bathroom, she saw Byunghun feeding Minki. He looked up and smiled at his wife. “Hey, mi amor.”

Jae smiled. “Can I talk to you for a bit, Bunny?” Byunghun nodded and ruffled Minki’s hair. They both laughed, which caused Jae to smile.

“What’s up?” Byunghun asked as he closed the bedroom door behind him.

Jae wrapped her arms around her husband’s shoulders. “I’m pregnant, Bunny.” She couldn’t help but giggle at her husband’s reaction, which was similar to the first time she was pregnant.

Byunghun finally smiled and sweetly kissed his wife, afterwards holding her close to him. “That’s amazing!” They leaned in to share another kiss, but they were interrupted by knocking at their door.

“Umma! Appa! I finished my food! Come play with me now!” Byunghun smiled and opened the door to let Minki in. Minki was pouting with his arms crossed and looked up at his appa.

“Come in, Minki. We have something to tell you and it’ll make you smile.”

Minki skipped over to his parents’ bed and sat next to his umma. “Are we getting a puppy?” Minki asked.

Jae giggled. “No, something better.”

Minki looked at his parents with confusion. “Minki, you’re going to have a baby brother or sister.”

Minki’s face brightened, a huge smile on his face. “Weally?” He hopped off the bed and started jumping.

Byunghun laughed and picked Minki up to put him on his lap. “Yep. You’re gonna be a big brother, Minki.”

“When will my brother or sister be here?” Minki asked.

“It’s gonna take some time, baby.” Jae ran her fingers through her son’s hair. 

“Okay~ Now, can you come play with me pwease?”

Jae and Byunghun laughed and took their son’s hands to play with him outside.

 

“We’re gonna see Gwandma and Gwandpa~ We’re gonna see Grandma and Grandpa~” Minki sang as he skipped out the apartment building.

“Minki don’t go so fast, your umma can’t walk that fast.” Byunghun said gently, helping his wife out the building. Jae was a week from her due date, and Byunghun’s parents wanted to see the happy family before a baby girl was added to the family.

“I’m sorry. I wanna help umma to the car.” Minki ran back to his parents and held his hand up to hold his mother’s hand. Jae smiled brightly and held her son’s hand.

“I can’t wait for Haneul to come so I can hold her hand, too.” Jae took a deep breath to keep her tears back from that adorable mental image.

As they pulled up to Byunghun’s parents’ house, Minki looked out the window with a big excited smile on his face, waving both his little hands at his grandparents.

“Look! Look! It’s Gwandma and Gwandpa!” Byunghun unbuckled Minki out of his car seat as fast as he could so he could say hello. Minki ran to his grandparents with his arms open wide, ready to hug their legs. Jae and Byunghun smiled at their son’s excitement, happy to see Byunghun’s parents.

“Hello, little Minki! It’s great to see you again!” Grandpa Lee said before picking Minki up.

Minki wrapped his arms around his grandfather’s shoulders and gave him a kiss on his cheek. “I missed you gwandpa~” He reached over to give his grandmother a kiss. “And I missed you gwandma~”

Grandma Lee smiled and kissed Minki’s nose. “I missed you, too, Minki-ya.”

Minki giggled. “Gwandpa! Can we go inside? I wanna draw something for you and Gwandma!” Grandpa Lee smiled and carried Minki inside so he could draw.

“It’s so nice to see you again, Byunghun and Jae.” Grandma Lee hugged L. Jae.

“It’s nice to see you, too, umma.” Byunghun said with a bright smile.

“How much longer until your beautiful baby girl arrives?” Grandma Lee asked.

“Just one week.” Jae replied with a smile.

“Omo, that’s so exciting. Come in, join your son and father.” They entered the house and took off their shoes, immediately seeing Minki drawing on the table.

“Whatcha got there, baby?” Jae asked as she stood behind her son.

“I’m dwawing Gwandma and Gwandpa and you and Appa and me and Hani~”

Jae smiled brightly. “You gave Haneul a nickname already?” Minki nodded.

Jae put a hand over her heart, loving how adorable her son was. She walked over to the kitchen to join her husband and in-laws.

“It’s going to be a busy house with four of you.” Grandma Lee said.

“Yes, but I think we’re ready for that. Minki will be happy to have someone to play with.” They all looked at Minki, who was peacefully drawing.

“He’s such a blessing, really.” Jae said. Suddenly, she felt a familiar feeling in her abdomen, and she knew exactly what it meant. Her eyes widened and she grabbed Byunghun’s arm for support. “Bunny, my water just broke.” Grandma and Grandpa Lee were in shock that is was so soon and they helped Byunghun take Jae to the car.

Jae tried to stay calm, since she didn’t want to scare her 2 year old son, but pain was written all over her face.

“Umma?” Minki said, obviously a little scared.

Grandma Lee walked over to Minki. “Don’t worry about your umma, Minki. She’ll be okay. You’re going to see Haneul soon.” Minki’s face brightened a bit, but he was still a little worried. Byunghun drove Jae to the nearest hospital, while Grandma and Grandpa Lee took care of Minki until Haneul was born.

The process was once again long and challenging, both physically and mentally. Jae was a bit more prepared this time around, knowing how difficult it was going to be, and she knew that it would result in something beautiful. The thought of Minki and Haneul growing up together gave her a bit more strength to push harder, and before she knew it, the sound of a baby’s cry filled her ears. Byunghun kissed her forehead and gently squeezed her hand.

“You’re so amazing, Jae, you really are.” Jae smiled tiredly at her husband.

After cleaning her off, the doctors gave Haneul to her elated parents. Jae held Haneul in her arms with a big smile and Byunghun behind her, admiring their daughter.

“Hi Hani~” Jae’s voice broke. A tear rolled down her cheek as she looked at her newborn daughter.

A little while after, Minki came into the room and he saw his little sister.

“Hani?”

He said quietly as he slowly walked towards Haneul. Byunghun picked him up so he could clearly see her. He smiled and waved at her. “Hi Hani.”

Jae took Haneul’s hand and waved it. “That’s your oppa, Hani.”

Minki reached his hand out to Haneul and she held two of his fingers with one hand.

Minki giggled. “Look umma! Look appa! Hani is holding my hand. She has really tiny hands.”

Jae and Byunghun exchanged loving smiles.

This is what they wanted.

Their family was complete.