Hani's First Steps

L. Jae

Byunghun and Jae sat on the couch together as they admired their happy children playing together.

They were playing peek-a-boo and Haneul was laughing like crazy. Minki giggled every time he said peek-a-boo and loved seeing his sister’s happy and excited little face.

“Ki! Ki!” Haneul cooed as she pulled her brother’s hands from his face.

“Wait, Hani! I didn’t say peek-a-boo yet!” Minki giggled and hid his face again. The excitement on Haneul’s face was adorable, anticipating what her brother would do next.

“Peek-a-boo! I see you Hani!” Minki began to laugh with his sister and began tickling her. Byunghun held Jae even closer and kissed the side of her head.

“I absolutely love seeing them play and laugh together.” Jae said.

"Me too, mi amor."

Minki ran over to his parents and jumped excitedly. "Umma! Appa! Can we teach Hani how to walk so I can play hide and seek with her?" He looked at his parents with big, innocent eyes and the cutest pout.

Byunghun smiled and kissed Minki's forehead. "Of course we can, baby. But only if you help me."

Minki smiled brightly. "Of course I'll help, Appa!" Minki hopped over to his sister. "Come on Hani! Appa and oppa are going to teach you to walk!" Minki held his sister's hand and attempted to help her stand, but Haneul just looked confused.

Byunghun laughed and helped Haneul stand up. "Are you ready, Hani?" Haneul just smiled at her dad.

"Wait!" Jae ran out of the room quickly, remembering something. She was searching around the house frantically, looking for her video camera. “Bunny don’t start yet! I want to get every moment on camera!”

Byunghun spread out a blanket floor and sat with Haneul and Minki. Minki continued playing with his little sister, making her giggle and smile. Byunghun watched his babies and admired how adorable they were. He had to whip out his phone to take a picture to capture the adorable moment.

“I got it! Okay you can start now.” Jae sat on the blanket next to her husband and turned the video camera.

Byunghun took Haneul’s little hands and helped her stand up. “Come on, Hani,” Byunghun began to walk backwards but Haneul’s legs wouldn’t move.

“Appa, Hani’s not walking.” Minki said as he walked next to his sister. “Look Hani! You have to do it like this!” Minki started walking around the room, showing her how to walk.

Hani tried to move her foot off of the floor, but stumbled instead.

Byunghun caught her and picked her up. “You can do it, Hani.” He kissed her forehead before putting her back on the floor.

Haneul looked at her brother, who was already looking back at her with big excited eyes. Haneul pointed at her brother and smiled brightly.

“Minki why don’t you go hold your sister’s hand?” Jae suggested.

Minki smiled and excitedly walked over to Haneul. He took Haneul’s hand. “Hani, fighting!”

Haneul giggled and took a step forward. “Yay! Do it again! Do it again!” Minki shouted, not letting go of his baby sister’s hand.

“Inside voice, Ki.” Byunghun said, still helping Haneul balance on her feet.

“Sowy~” Minki pouted for a second before continuing to encourage Haneul.

The bright smile didn’t leave Haneul’s face for a while. She made some progress, being able to stand on her own for a good while. She was definitely being helped by her brother’s encouragement, hugging her and kissing her cheek when she made more progress. Jae held a hand to heart and smiled because of her babies who were too adorable. She was happy that she was getting this all on camera.

Finally, after a couple of hours, Haneul took a couple of steps by herself, being caught by her appa from her lack of balance.

“You did it, Hani! Appa is so proud of you!” Byunghun spun Haneul around and gave her a big kiss on her cheek.

Haneul was laughing and clapping for herself. “Appa!” Haneul said as she wrapped her arms around Byunghun’s shoulders to hug him.

Jae began to tear up. “Did she just say ‘Appa’ for the first time?”

Byunghun hugged his daughter with a huge smile on his face and nodded. “My beautiful baby girl.” He said quietly, holding Haneul close.  He put her down next to Minki who was just as proud of his baby sister.

“I’m pwoud of you, Hani!” He hugged Haneul and made her giggle. She kissed Minki’s cheek and hugged him back.

“Hani, do you want to watch Pororo with me?” Hani smiled and nodded. She crawled over to her umma and pulled on her pant leg. Jae smiled and picked Haneul up.

“Let’s watch Pororo as a family.” She looked at Haneul, who was playing with her umma’s hair. “Would you like that, babies?”

Minki jumped in excitement. “Yay! Let’s watch Pororo together!”

Byunghun got another blanket for everyone to cuddle under on the couch. Jae gave Haneul her bottle and Minki his sippy cup filled with chocolate milk. The babies sat in between their parents, cutely drinking their milk.

Byunghun reached his arm across the couch to caress his wife’s cheek. Jae blushed and looked at Byunghun. He gave her a warm smile before looking down at their babies.

Haneul’s head was resting on Minki’s shoulder, Minki’s head on Haneul’s, and they were holding hands, sleeping. Jae thought her heart was going to burst out of her chest because of the beautiful and perfect sight right in front of her. She and Byunghun couldn’t resist taking many pictures of their sleeping angels.

Finally, after taking a thousand pictures, Mr. and Mrs. Lee carried their babies to their room. They kissed their little foreheads and took a moment to admire Minki and Haneul’s little sleeping faces before leaving the room.

Byunghun immediately wrapped his arms around Jae’s waist from behind and kissed her neck. “Thank you, mi amor.”

Jae giggled and turned around to face Byunghun. “For what, Bunny?”

He ran his fingers through Jae’s hair. “For blessing me with such beautiful children.” He looked into Jae’s eyes lovingly before kissing her passionately. “And for being such a perfect wife and umma.”

Jae blushed and wrapped her arms around Byunghun, hugging him tight. “Stop making me blush so much, Bunny~”

Byunghun kissed the top of Jae’s head. “I can’t when you make my heart flutter so much.”

Jae pecked his lips and cutely looked into his eyes. “Do you want to watch a movie while the babies nap?”

Byunghun smiled and pecked Jae’s lips in return. “That’s a great idea.”

Jae smiled and took Byunghun’s hand and walked with him to the living room to watch a movie together, waiting for their babies to wake up and share more adorable family moments.