The Firstborn

L. Jae

“Come on, Bunny~ Jonghyun and Nini are waiting for us!” Jae pulled Byunghun to ChangNi’s door and knocked.

Nini answered the door and smiled brightly. “Aigoo, the Puppy Couple is here! Come in!”

L. Jae entered the apartment and took their shoes off. They went to the living room together and greeted Jonghyun, who was choosing a movie for the four of them to watch.

At that moment, Jae smelled something delicious. “Nini~ what’s that delicious smell?”

Nini smiled excitedly. “I wanted to surprise you, so I made tacos,” She giggled. “I hope they’re good.” She disappeared into the kitchen to finish the food as L. Jae and Jonghyun continued to choose a movie. They settled on a movie and Nini brought the food in.

In the middle of the movie, Jae felt nauseous. She knew it couldn’t have been the tacos because no one else looked sick. She drank some water, but it didn’t help.

“I’ll be right back.” Jae rushed to the bathroom. She was shaking as she hovered over the toilet. When Nini went to check on Jae, she heard her throwing up on the other side of the door. She entered the bathroom and held her hair back.

“Wow, unnie, I thought my tacos were pretty good.”

Jae waved her hand dismissively. “I don’t think it was your cooking. I’ve been getting sick whenever I eat tomatoes for some reason. My body’s been acting weird lately. And my period is late, too.”

Just then, Jae and Nini’s eyes widened and they looked at each other. “What exactly did you two do in Acapulco?”

Jae couldn’t believe what could have actually happened. Could she be pregnant with Byunghun’s child? Is she actually going to have a family with her Bunny? “I think I’m pregnant, Nini.”

“Hold on, I think I have a pregnancy test in the back of my closet.” Nini practically ran into her room.

“Why?” Jae asked, very curious as to why Nini would have a pregnancy test.

“So I’d have one for you just in case you didn’t have one. You know how much I wanna see the Puppy Family.” Jae laughed as Nini searched in her closet.

“Here you go, unnie. I really hope it comes out positive.” Nini smiled and handed Jae the test and Jae went back into the bathroom.

Nini waited nervously outside of the bathroom as Jae took the test. After a few minutes, Jae came out of the bathroom and nodded.

Nini tried her best not to scream and she jumped in excitement. “Let’s go tell Appa Byunghun.”

When the girls returned to the living room, they found Byunghun and Jonghyun having a thumb war.

“Hyung, stop cheating!” Jonghyun yelled.

Nini face palmed and cleared to get their attention.

“Are you okay, mi amor?” Byunghun held his arms out to hug Jae.

“I’m feeling great, Bunny. I have some great news for you~” Jae said cutely as she held Byunghun’s hands. She looked into his eyes, which were filled with anticipation. She had a feeling he had an idea of what she was going to say.

“Bunny, I’m pregnant.”

Byunghun’s froze and his face was in complete shock, processing what his wife just told him. His shocked face turned into a huge and bright smile as he hugged Jae. He spun around with Jae in his arms and tears forming in his eyes. He rested his forehead against his wife’s forehead and placed his hand on her abdomen.

“We’re going to have a family.” He kissed her forehead and looked lovingly into her eyes.

“I love you so much.” He practically whispered.

Jae smiled and hugged Byunghun tightly. “I love you too, Appa Byunghun.” Byunghun smiled brightly at the name and kissed the top of Jae’s head.

After finishing the movie and leaving ChangNi’s apartment, L. Jae returned home still ecstatic about their first child. “I hope she’s a girl so she can look as beautiful as her umma.” Byunghun said as he and Jae walked into their apartment.

Jae giggled and blushed. “Oppa~”

Byunghun smiled and wrapped his arms around Jae from behind. They walked together to their bedroom to get some sleep.

 

“Here’s your extra blanket, mi amor.” Byunghun gave his 7-month pregnant wife the extra blanket she asked for. “Thank you, Bunny~”

Byunghun smiled and laid down next to Jae. He began to rub her tummy. “Minki-ya~ it’s your appa~” Byunghun said quietly to their baby and Jae giggled. “I can’t wait for you to join us, Ki. Appa can’t wait to play with you~”

Jae couldn’t stop smiling and blushing at how adorable her husband was being. “Even after 7 months, I still can’t believe we’re gonna have a son of our own.”

Jae pecked Byunghun’s lips. “Believe it, Byunghun. Our son’s going to be here soon.”

Byunghun smiled and kissed Jae sweetly. “Thank you, mi amor.”

Jae kissed Byunghun back. “Anything for you, Bunny.”

 

“Unnie, isn’t your due date in like two days?” Nini asked over the phone.

“Yeah it is and I’ve never experienced so much back pain, honestly.”

Nini sighed. “It’ll be over soon, unnie. And you’ll have your wonderful son, just like you’ve wanted. It’s amazing that everything we used to talk about before we were trainees is becoming a reality.”

Jae smiled. “I know. I’m so happy that I’ll have my Minki in a couple of days.” Jae’s voice began to break and she started to tear up. “I’ll talk to you later, Nini, I’m a bit tired.”

“Okay, unnie~ Sleep well~”

“You too~” Jae hung up and laid down on her back. As soon as she got comfortable, she felt a pain in her abdomen.

“Byunghun!” Jae yelled, knowing exactly what was happening. Byunghun ran into the room and widened his eyes. He ran over to his wife to help her up and out of the apartment. He was trying not to show how incredibly nervous he was for his wife, even though internally, he was screaming along with her.

"We're almost there, mi amor." Byunghun said as he quickly drove to the hospital. "Just a little bit longer."

Jae knew it was going to be this painful, but she wasn't exactly ready for it, and her husband sure as hell wasn't. As they arrived at the hospital, Jae already knew what was coming. She was just ready to end the pain and see her baby boy for the first time.

The agonizing hours of labor felt like they'd never end. Byunghun stood by her side, holding her hand and giving her words of encouragement every now and again. Byunghun had to switch hands frequently, since Jae would've broke one of them if he stayed with just one hand.

"You're almost done, Jae. You can do it." Byunghun said as Jae used all her strength to push until the sound of a baby's cry filled her ears.

The doctors cleaned the baby and Byunghun smiled and kissed the top of Jae's head. "Great job, mi amor. You did it." Jae smiled faintly and tried her best to come back to her senses.

"Congratulations, Mr. and Mrs. Lee. You've given birth to a healthy baby boy." The doctor gave Umma Jae her son.

She felt a tear roll down her cheek as she looked at him. "Welcome, Lee Minki."

Byunghun's eyes teared up and he smiled. "My son." He said quietly, trying not to cry.

Jae looked up at Byunghun and smiled. "Here. Hold him."

Byunghun held his arms out and held his son. "Hey, Minki. Appa's so happy to see you." He kissed Minki's forehead. Jae wiped the uncontrollable tears coming from her eyes as she watched her husband look so lovingly at their newborn son.

This all felt like a dream. An amazing, surreal dream.